Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

9 minutes ago, Webbo said:

This is from a new group, briefing for brexit.

I believe it was originally a letter to the Times but it's re printed here http://brexitcentral.com/fellow-academics-must-stop-pushing-dishonest-anti-brexit-propaganda/

Yet again it might be melodramatic posturing to gain sympathy but I find it believable.

It could be, I certainly think the idea of losing your career over such things is melodramatic. And, though the scientific (rather than academic as a whole) community relies on consensus, questioning always occurs and echoing happens only when evidence for things becomes sufficiently incontrovertible to be sure (at least, for the time being).

However, as these views exist and are being broadcast, there should be a dialogue involving the community assuring that this is categorically not the case (which it most assuredly is not) - if only to allay any fears that might be arising and to stop various parties from using that fear for their own purposes.

Edited by leicsmac

50 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

I suspect there's a few British people around who disagree with the idea that you know what's best for them just because you're also British. 

You’re misrepresenting his post but I suspect it’ll go unnoticed by the holier than thous in here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

He never said he knew best because he was British. He we know what’s best for Britain, as in all of us. Whereas you made singular to belittle his point, cheeky.

He said we (as in British people) "know what's best for us" (again as in British people), ergo "I know what's best for other British people, because I am also British".

Hmmm, let me think, no you don't.

I watched some youtube videos and it doesnt seem like there is a clear negotiating stance for brexit.

Why cant it be made clear what the position is? 

Also when labour say "nothings off the table" that doesnt help either.

I want to know whats ON the table

1 minute ago, Donut said:

I watched some youtube videos and it doesnt seem like there is a clear negotiating stance for brexit.

Why cant it be made clear what the position is? 

Also when labour say "nothings off the table" that doesnt help either.

I want to know whats ON the table

May's negotiating stance so far has been not to have one, but pretend like she does. Then when the EU makes a suggestion, accept it without question. I think that's likely to continue. 

1 minute ago, Rogstanley said:

He said we (as in British people) "know what's best for us" (again as in British people), ergo "I know what's best for other British people, because I am also British".

If I say Britain or the British are good at something, it doesn’t necessarily mean I personally am good at it. 

Just now, Strokes said:

If I say Britain or the British are good at something, it doesn’t necessarily mean I personally am good at it. 

Following that logic does a person in London know what's best for someone in Burnley based on life in London? Should we make individual city states to overcome the obvious answer?

8 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Boy when facecloth sees how you've misrepresented my views you'll be in for an ear bashing.

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Boy when facecloth sees how you've misrepresented my views you'll be in for an ear bashing.

When let’s summon @Facecloth to be the judge here then shall we, hmm?

Facecloth, did Webbo imply that he knows what’s best for other British people on the basis that he is also British or not?

Edited by Rogstanley

1 minute ago, Rogstanley said:

When let’s summon @Facecloth to be the judge here than shall we, hmm?

Facecloth, did Webbo imply that he knows what’s best for other British people on the basis of him also being British or not?

Knowing how fair minded and impartial he is I'm sure he'll answer in a totally honest way lol 

10 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Following that logic does a person in London know what's best for someone in Burnley based on life in London? Should we make individual city states to overcome the obvious answer?

Yes I would say a man from London is well enough placed to make that call. He would have lived a similar culture, under the same laws for enough time to be able to adequately represent him.

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yes I would say a man from London is well enough placed to make that call. He would have lived a similar culture, under the same laws for enough time to be able to adequately represent him.

But only if they agreed though because peoples opinions on everything differ

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Certainly someone from London would have a better idea of life in Burnley than someone from Southern Italy or rural Bulgaria.

• Like 1