Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

This is why I like him, I like people who aren't afraid to say what they think. I like controversy and I like those who call out hypocrisy.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/06/if-youre-not-tired-of-london-youre-tired-of-life/

Unfortunately this article is only available by subscription.

Could you cut and paste it for us?

12 minutes ago, MattP said:

This is why I like him, I like people who aren't afraid to say what they think. I like controversy and I like those who call out hypocrisy.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/06/if-youre-not-tired-of-london-youre-tired-of-life/

Fair enough. Too much punching down (even if it is in jest which I'm still not sure of and from Liddle in general, not that article in particular) for my taste, but so it goes.

Edited by leicsmac

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Surely that's just semantics?

Whether you read a 'newspaper' in it's physical form or online, you are still reading the same content.

Yeah I meant I don't read any specific news paper, sometimes I don't even notice who published it. It pops up on my feed and if it looks interesting I read it.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the public might clamour for a second referendum before the 2 years are up.

Just now, Benguin said:

And will vote leave again.

There wouldn't be a public clamour for another referendum just to vote leave again would there?

7 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I'm starting to get the feeling that the public might clamour for a second referendum before the 2 years are up.

Who knows what's next.  I expect another general election before there is talk of a referendum to appease the remainers.

7 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Brexit architects now hated by the population it seems. From the independent:

brexit-architects-chart.jpg

May and Cameron were remainers.  How popular would they be now?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Well yes, remain voters love to clamour.

To be fair, whilst we're all shades of pissed off from mildly to extremely, the majority of remainers have clearly accepted the result. 

What I'm suggesting is that every day it becomes more clear how weak our negotiating position is and how catastrophic Brexit could be, more people might begin to start questioning the whole thing and demanding a final say. 

Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't but I'm yet to see anything positive on the horizon Brexit-wise a year down the line from the referendum. Just leavers banging on about some control we're apparently getting back. 

19 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Brexit architects now hated by the population it seems. From the independent:

brexit-architects-chart.jpg

What a pointless bit of polling... like shooting fish in a barrel, asking whether people liked or disliked these 3! 

And I'm not sure if that really tells us anything Brexit wise, given all 3 have done stupid unrelated Brexit things since the vote.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

To be fair, whilst we're all shades of pissed off from mildly to extremely, the majority of remainers have clearly accepted the result. 

What I'm suggesting is that every day it becomes more clear how weak our negotiating position is and how catastrophic Brexit could be, more people might begin to start questioning the whole thing and demanding a final say. 

Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't but I'm yet to see anything positive on the horizon Brexit-wise a year down the line from the referendum. Just leavers banging on about some control we're apparently getting back. 

Have you seen the Swiss deal lol? We'll be fine, stop listening to the media and the Labour party, it is in the EU's interest to get a good deal done.

Just now, Benguin said:

Have you seen the Swiss deal lol? We'll be fine, stop listening to the media and the Labour party, it is in the EU's interest to get a good deal done.

Let's hope so. As I say, if things progress how you clearly hope then people will go along with it. If it looks like things are going badly wrong they might not.

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

Let's hope so. As I say, if things progress how you clearly hope then people will go along with it. If it looks like things are going badly wrong they might not.

If there's one thing you can be certain of when it comes to the left; particularly the new millennial progressives, it's that there will be protests and, er, clamour, regardless.

Everything will be ok in the end.  To be fair, the EU are coming across as bitter and spiteful at the moment.  Things will calm down and people will start being sensible.  Whatever the deal in the end will be, German car manufacturers, who bank roll the German government, will still sell their cars in the UK market without hitting their profits (or raising their prices).

5 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Everything will be ok in the end.  To be fair, the EU are coming across as bitter and spiteful at the moment.  Things will calm down and people will start being sensible.  Whatever the deal in the end will be, German car manufacturers, who bank roll the German government, will still sell their cars in the UK market without hitting their profits (or raising their prices).

Ahhhh, the German car manufactures line. Haven't heard that one for a while. 

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond
  • Like 1