Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

They sound rattled, good.

Maybe.

Obviously not posted on here but three pieces of very good "despite Brexit" news today - BMW commits to building new mini here, Amazon are expanding a hub and Easyjet have committed to employing another 1,200 people.

4 hours ago, davieG said:

A fully electric version of the Mini will be built at the Cowley plant near Oxford, BMW has confirmed.

BMW said that the car, which will be a variant of its existing three-door model, would go into production in 2019.

The carmaker said Oxford would be the main "production location" for the Mini three-door model.

However, the electric motor will be built in Germany before being shipped to Cowley for assembly.

A BMW spokesman said the company "neither sought nor received" any reassurances from the UK government on post-Brexit trading arrangements.

UK Business Secretary Greg Clark hailed BMW's announcement as a "vote of confidence" in government plans to make Britain "the go-to place in the world for the next generation of vehicles". On Monday, he set out plans to invest in development of battery technology in the UK.

BMW said the move was part of a plan for electrified vehicles to account for between 15-25% of its sales by 2025.

24 minutes ago, MattP said:

Maybe.

Obviously not posted on here but three pieces of very good "despite Brexit" news today - BMW commits to building new mini here, Amazon are expanding a hub and Easyjet have committed to employing another 1,200 people.

I posted the BMW Mini report but it drew not one comment.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

It's not really newsworthy. They already make the mini there and they will introduce a fully electric version in 2019, the electric motor is being made in Germany and then it will be shipped to the plant in the UK. 

I'm sure if they'd have said it was being assembled outside the Uk toddy would have been on it faster than Usain St. Leo Bolt

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

I'm sure if they'd have said it was being assembled outside the Uk toddy would have been on it faster than Usain St. Leo Bolt

It would be quite different if that was the case because the main production of minis is in Oxford. It's being dressed up as a vote of confidence in brexit or the UK economy as a whole and it isn't. 

5 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

It would be quite different if that was the case because the main production of minis is in Oxford. It's being dressed up as a vote of confidence in brexit or the UK economy as a whole and it isn't. 

Well it is seeing as the remainers have been saying  they'll all leave, well the mini's not going anywhere.

3 minutes ago, foxinexile said:

I think the thing is though, how much news would this have generated if we weren't leaving the EU? So perhaps the perspective from some Remainers is that it looks like Leavers desperately clutching and shouting about any piece of news that reports a company will do (or continue to do) business in the UK after Brexit as a success. It feels like it's portrayed as vindication that Brexit was the right path all along and that there was nothing to ever worry about. Of course, it's a great piece of news in its own right, but I think the salient point is that both Remainers and Leavers will highlight news to show we're wrong/right to leave the EU. 

Personally I think this particular story is hardly worth holding a street party over and getting the Union Jack bunting out to celebrate how it demonstrates that companies will flock to us and investment will flow post-Brexit. But likewise some of the "news" that is emitted from the Guardian et al is on the apocalyptic side that is unlikely to happen.

The truth is, until we leave no one knows what the future of the UK will look like. But I would add a little caveat to the Mini story and others: We are still part of the EU. It would be mindful of Leavers to remember this for the time being. 

The point with the minis is that they already make the mini here in a big plant that employs 4500 people. They will have sunk a huge amount of money into this plant and moving the whole production to another location outside the UK would be much more costly than just putting up with the consequences of brexit. The extra investment required to be able to assemble electric motors in the UK facility is tiny. What brexit may well affect is future decisions by multinationals on where to make large investments in the future. It may be that if BMW knew brexit was going to happen several years ago that they would have built this plant in another country. 

5 hours ago, Webbo said:

Selective breeding is different from genetic modification. Yes you can breed 2 different cows to get a cow that produces more milk or beef but that's different to taking a gene from a fish and putting it in a tomato.

They're making insect resistant crops, but without insects what do the birds eat?  You're destroying the food chain .There are also questions of cross pollination with non GM crops in neighbouring fields , corporations who own the patent on seeds, meaning farmers can't grow their own seed. It's messing with nature and that never ends well.

Fish.thumb.jpg.3c3eee58e2bf7690ce44806c4314af11.jpg

5 hours ago, Foxin_mad said:

I would expect nothing more from the dishonest bunch that call themselves the Liebour party. The more and more stuff I see I hope Vince Cable picks up quite a few votes and people educate themselves on the lies of Corbyn and co. I have never seen a more dishonest bunch so desperate to get into power.

5 hours ago, Foxin_mad said:

No no no we need another negative Guardian Headline! lol

"Chlorinated Chickens to Invade British Supermarkets" www.guardian.co.uk/another-load-of-hyperbolic-bollocks-vote-labour-tory-scum

59779bec7af11_completeretard.jpg.c2ed5da942d65a8a195d5e0fbe47b683.jpg

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Maybe.

Yes, but how many of these jobs are just ones that take goods etc off shelves and other menial work?

Edited by Wymeswold fox

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Well it is seeing as the remainers have been saying  they'll all leave, well the mini's not going anywhere.

The Mi n i left UK shores years ago.Its in BMW hands...Money made   goes to BMW..So its already gone..

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

The Mi n i left UK shores years ago.Its in BMW hands...Money made   goes to BMW..So its already gone..

Tell that to the people who work there.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Tell that to the people who work there.

Germans keeping them in work..nothing with UK  creating jobs.

Uk needs UK companies to be created..At present UK employment depends heavily on foreign firms,

Especially the ones employing 1000s+.     Nothing to do with leave or remain, UK industry is too dependant on

Foreign companies. Our Entrepreneurs, our small good businesses, are not going to take up large employment

Defeciencies.

Any of the large foreign companies can pull the plug anytime, and even in their own countries, Qualified local

Employed, are sacrificed for the roll of outsourcing...Uk govt failings by not investing or supporting uk firm contracts

Had/has/will have consequences.....

Remainers/leavers trying to win Brownie points off each other has been and will be the major problem for UK citizens,

The businesses their organisations, and the politicians are too busy jumping on "blame-train" and Were /are are so incompetent,

of cooking up anything creative.They have had too many years of running away with the dosh or losing it..

The Brexit- carpetbaggers will have a field day, they have the next 2-10yrs to get away with it.

While the electorate argue over johny foreigner, immigration policies.and let themselves keep being told what

A great NHS system v we have, while the incompetents use every disgreement, to misuse and abuse it, for their

Own financial, and political gains.....

Guest Foxin_mad
12 hours ago, Buce said:

59779bec7af11_completeretard.jpg.c2ed5da942d65a8a195d5e0fbe47b683.jpg

Oh look kinder caring politics of the left in action again. FFS :(

Rule of the Left..........If you don't like something someone says call them a retarded, racist, thick, scum, nice.

For a PC bunch that's actually pretty poor. I could actually have a family member who is mentally disabled, and that would be highly offensive.

Goodness me.

55 minutes ago, Foxin_mad said:

Rule of the Left..........If you don't like something someone says call them a retarded, racist, thick, scum, nice.

For a PC bunch that's actually pretty poor. I could actually have a family member who is mentally disabled, and that would be highly offensive.

Goodness me.

The left call the right names and it's truly dreadful.

The right cause schools to reduce teaching provision, the nhs to ration healthcare, food banks to be used across Britain and life expectancy to fall and it's to be celebrated.

Get a grip Fox, it's a forum full of football fans.

Edited by Guest

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, toddybad said:

The left call the right names and it's truly dreadful.

The right cause schools to reduce teaching provision, the nhs to ration healthcare, food banks to be used across Britain and life expectancy to fall and it's to be celebrated.

Get a grip Fox, it's a forum full of football fans.

Yes because none of that has ever happened in a country ran by left wingers lol

Ffs they are rationing bog roll in Venezuela at the minute, one of the most oil rich nations in the World.

Edited by MattP

1 hour ago, Foxin_mad said:

Goodness me.

Not entirely sure that you can get on your high horse when after being insulted you accuse an entire group of people of being exactly the same. This 'all the left are PC wankerz, throwing their toys out of the pram whenever they find something that they disagree with' and 'all the right are Tory scumbags who want austerity for anybody without a title before their name' is exactly the way that modern politics is going. Spending millions of pounds on a campaign of smear against opposition rather than calling them out on said disagreement and highlighting the opportunity for implementing positive change and reform. It's always been in existence, but I feel as though playground politics will be a stain on this generation. 

Also, whilst I get your sentiment, and understand that this goes against what I've just said above, all I could picture when reading your reply as this :ph34r: :-

• Like 1

17 hours ago, toddybad said:

A EU senior official said Brussels had been surprised by the lack of knowledge shown by senior British politicians in their approach to the negotiations.

He added that while the UK was likely to avoid tariffs on many goods under any free trade deal with the EU, the apparent openness of London to lower standards below those of the bloc would significantly hinder trade in the future.

16 hours ago, toddybad said:

“If we look at goods the most important thing about is not tariffs, it is all the rules around it,” the official said. “That is why we invented the single market which is about having one set of rules instead of 28 set of rules. Tariffs in a way are not that difficult. I think we will fund a way of avoiding tariffs in the future.

“When the stated aim is to make your own laws, not have the same controls, then we need to have checks. Then any good that travels from one market to another will have to undergo checks to see that it is legal to go on the market.”

This is the most interesting bit in the article, (I assume it is find, not fund) if they are positive of finding a way of avoiding tariffs then all of a sudden a lot of Bremainers fears of economic instability disappear, the other bit I found interesting was...

17 hours ago, toddybad said:

The official said: “If the UK were successful in gaining a free trade agreement with America, and that is the only area where there is a comparative advantage for the UK, given agriculture is the EU’s main defensive interest, then there will be problems.

“It will eliminate sections of the agriculture industry in the UK but the British government seem to be happy with that. But it will also create particular problems with Northern Ireland.

“The Irish won’t be happy about chlorinated chicken crossing the border which is said to be northern Irish chicken. So there will have to be a border. It has been surprising to see how poor the understanding has been in the UK debate.”

The row came as the the European parliament’s Brexit coordinator, Guy Verhofstadt, ruled out any weakening on the EU’s demands on citizens’ rights after a briefing about last week’s Brexit negotiations from Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief negotiator. Verhofstadt also called on Britain to hurry up in providing an outline of its position the UK’s divorce bill.

It seems that a free trade deal is very much on the cards, but our crack negotiating team and Trump's tweets are doing their best to scupper it. Right now we should be focussing on the terms of the trade deal with the EU and not courting deals with the US and NZ.

It doesn't sound like they are rattled, they are just putting out the facts, if we maintain the same food safety standards as  the EU then there will be no need for border checks and controls, if we are going to lower our standards to court Trump and the US then they will be forced to put customs checks in place.

Reading that it seems like there is a chance for a huge positive to come out of Brexit, allay the fears of industry and economic experts. I would love to be  proved wrong, but this Government seems so incompetent and ill prepared for this.