Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

4 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

my original question though - if the deal is so good why are they trying to keep the legal advice hidden?

Who said the deal was good? Only May as far as I can see. 

Re witholding legal advice, who knows, maybe May is taking a leaf out Blair’s book...

4 minutes ago, Milo said:

Who said the deal was good? Only May as far as I can see. 

Re witholding legal advice, who knows, maybe May is taking a leaf out Blair’s book...

yes May - I wasn't accusing you of liking the deal - I understand how embarrassing it is to be associated with supporting this shit-show now. lol

taking a leaf out of Blair's book doesn't make it any more acceptable - he should have been held to ****ing account as well. 

May is literally kicking this country back 40 years in time and she's covering up legal advice that will unequivocally turn the tide against her and her version of Brexit - AT LEAST, if not Brexit altogether. 

it's a ****ing outrage. the same outrage as Blair and Iraq but we never learn, do we. 

also, no mention of this pair of twats in here either? 

these dickheads lied through their teeth to the nation about how easy it was going to be, etc. had to resign from their positions and now they're winning awards for their ineptness? 

yeah, proper funny right. 

• Like 2

On 28/11/2018 at 13:46, MattP said:

I won't be, this thread has turned a bit shit now, bit like the Trump thread, no real debate, too much groupthink, copies/pastes and the odd insult - fortunately I'm a busy man so don't have much time anyway. 

I skipped past this yesterday mate but come on lol, don't pretend you've got any more going on than the rest of us. 

you've already posted in here another 20 odd times since making this post. 

this thread is the same as it's always been. don't leave now just because it's all falling apart a bit. :kissing:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

I skipped past this yesterday mate but come on lol, don't pretend you've got any more going on than the rest of us. 

this thread is the same as it's always been. don't leave now just because it's all falling apart a bit. :kissing:

Tbf, there's only so many times you can say 'Taking back control' and 'It's democracy, innit' without sounding like a broken record.

Fact is, it's only the loonies in the ERG that still believe Brexit will be anything other than a disaster.

11 minutes ago, Buce said:

Tbf, there's only so many times you can say 'Taking back control' and 'It's democracy, innit' without sounding like a broken record.

Fact is, it's only the loonies in the ERG that still believe Brexit will be anything other than a disaster.

Mays remainer version of Brexit may well be a disaster. 

But being as she’s one of your bunch, it shouldn’t really be a stick to beat leavers with...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Milo said:

But being as she’s one of your bunch, it shouldn’t really be a stick to beat leavers with...

I have no doubt if Brexit is bad for the country it'll be someone else's fault. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bovril said:

What’s your point?

Feel free to read a couple of pages back. 

This proposal that May is putting forward is a turd. 

30 minutes ago, Milo said:

Which version wouldn't be a disaster?

Do tell.

1 hour ago, lifted*fox said:

Don't worry I'll still be posting.

I've got a lot more going on than most at the minute but I'm not going into personal stuff for any sympathy. 

The thread has gone a bit crazy, there was a period about 18 months ago when it was brilliant - top class posting from all sides regarding Brexit, Geopolitik and seriously in depth economics from people like Kopkfino, Captain, Alf, Salisbury etc

Now it's often a 50th unicorn joke of the month or completely unsourced shit that anyone with a basic knowledge of politics knows is incorrect. 

Still some very good stuff in here to read though, I love the statistics trying to work out the parliamentary arithmetic more than anything.

1 hour ago, lifted*fox said:

also, no mention of this pair of twats in here either? 

these dickheads lied through their teeth to the nation about how easy it was going to be, etc. had to resign from their positions and now they're winning awards for their ineptness? 

yeah, proper funny right. 

What's funny about it? The Spectator always does this award every year and it's often the one designed to make the maximum impact. 

What did Raab lie about as well?

Can anyone explain what the point of this Corbyn - May debate is???

Is she hoping he is going to look so ridiculous discussing it that people are going to think it's a good deal? It's not even the electorate she needs to convince, it's parliament. It's a crap deal and nothing she can say is going to change that.

Why on earth Jeremy Corbyn is taking it on I have no idea either unless he thinks he can try and turn it into a wider debate on British politics and he can play to his base spending the hour complaining about cuts. He's already shown he doesn't understand it last Sunday.

None of it makes sense.

40 minutes ago, Buce said:

Do tell.

Totally depends on your definition of 'disaster'. Under every model released by the Treasury, the UK economy grows over 15 years. Even under the 'no deal' model (disorderly), the economy is only an average of 0.5% worse off per year (over 15 years) than it would be if it was still in the EU. Many of the models being released seem to drop net migration to ~100,000, whereas it currently stands at 275,000 net. The assumption of 100,000 is ludicrous. The Treasury even did models where EEA net migration is 0. Who honestly thinks that is ever going to happen?

Edited by Beechey

35 minutes ago, Buce said:

Do tell.

Ooh, I don’t know...

Probably one where we’re not bent over an EU barrel awaiting a shafting. 

Not even any lube, ffs. 

Only one poll of course, but possiblr May's deal is so bad public would be prepared to go with No Deal.

Be careful what you wish for people's vote crew.

2 hours ago, bovril said:

EU's fault innit, anyone watch newsnight? someone said they were a remainer but now would vote Brexit...why?  Because the EU have walked all over us....yep, but who's faults that?  We're a nation that blames everyone else for our woes.

Someone told the presenter that they would rather be in a situation where they couldn't even afford a T-Bag than be part of the EU anymore.

These are the people  we have to deal with.

I swear people would be made homeless, take to begging on street, live in a ditch but would think its ok because we aren't part of the EU.

5 years ago these same people couldn't of cared less about the EU....but now the EU are the devil incarnate.

Just a bunch of brainwashed sheep.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Can anyone explain what the point of this Corbyn - May debate is???

Is she hoping he is going to look so ridiculous discussing it that people are going to think it's a good deal? It's not even the electorate she needs to convince, it's parliament. It's a crap deal and nothing she can say is going to change that.

Why on earth Jeremy Corbyn is taking it on I have no idea either unless he thinks he can try and turn it into a wider debate on British politics and he can play to his base spending the hour complaining about cuts. He's already shown he doesn't understand it last Sunday.

None of it makes sense.

might be an amusing watch though?

Can't we just get rid of them all and start all over again?

Interesting article in the new statesmen:-https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/11/how-right-s-brexit-dream-died

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Excellent article that, Ronnie.

It addresses issues that get too little coverage amid all the Brexit process bullshit.

Particularly:

- The motives of the laissez-faire politicians behind Brexit (as opposed to Leave voters, whose motives were/are often quite different, and even populists like Farage),

- The historic structural failings of the UK economy

Good historical overview and global perspective, too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

5 years ago these same people couldn't of cared less about the EU....but now the EU are the devil incarnate.

Just a bunch of brainwashed sheep.

Not really true that is it? UKIP won the European Elections in 2014 and came second behind a very Eurosceptic Conservative back in 2009. The Eurosceptism of the British people has often been masked because a General Election is on a wide range of issues.

Back, did anyone watch the debate in the European pariliament on the withdrawal act? It was extremely strange, there was a common consensus that the deal was done and dusted and it was just ready to be ratified by the parliament in London, it was an incredible show of mass delusion.

In about two hours of watching I only saw Nigel Farage and someone from the FN stand up to claim the British parliament would vote the deal down.

Edited by MattP

9 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Hats off to May, she has taken some shit this week and hasn't put her guard down

Yep, she reminds me of that knight in one of those Monty Python movies; limbs chopped off, refusing to give in.

One can admire something in everyone.