Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Domsdad

Demarai Gray

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Both him and Chilwell need more game time, handled well we could have a couple of possible regular England players on our hands.

Wow, we're going from Gray maybe being good enough for our first team to Gray being suddenly a potential England star. I hope you're right, of course I do, but I'm also hoping England turn up a bit more competition that you seem to be expecting.

Gray might benefit from Chilwell's influence because every time i see Chilwell play it's as if he's gone out, worked on areas where he's been criticised and improved them. 

Gray needs to do the same. To stop imagining people or things being against him and to start thinking of the team and how best he can be of value to it - which means improving every weakness and I've highlighted two - stamina and getting his head up.

When you mention England i can truly see Chilwell making it. Reflecting on the people who've played left-back for Leicester, this lad looks as comfortable and intelligent on the ball as any, He's a good athlete, he doesn't hide, he's stronger now and he's learning - I mean he's accepting criticism and doing something about it.

I want Gray to do the same. I don't want him to go home praising himself because he's had a moment's brilliance. I want him to be pleased with that but then to look at what he didn't do so well and to work on doing better or even to get others to be better around him if they're spoiling the party.

It's the same for all aspiring professionals really. They need to celebrate their successes and to build on them. But to reflect on their mistakes or limitations and try to turn them into positives.   

I'm not trying to be harsh or unreasonable either.

I lost a golf semi-final this morning. A round of 78, two birdies and the hitting of two par four greens (270 yards and 304 yards respectively) in one, wasn't good enough.

So the good bits were thoroughly enjoyed and the work starts now to reduce the number of putting mistakes and several shot choice and execution errors.      

It's not criticism for the sake of it, but what's needed to be a winner in any sport and at any age. And if Gray can get that into his head as a permanent attitude then I've every faith in him.    

I think he is a typical 20 year old modern footballer with talent and having had a lot at a young age. Question is will he push on like a Dele Alli or be like a number who get money and don't maximise their talent.

The talent is there but he needs the attitude to work at his game physically and mentally which is the bit I am not sure he understands.

He has the potential to be a regular at Prem Level but also he appears slightly arrogant and not willing to listen or possibly the brains to learn!!

Time will tell but I believe he thinks he is entitled to more game time but I think the coaches including Shakey need to see more from him. Big preseason for him IF he stays!

His interview post match seemed anything but arrogant. Said he obviously hopes to be playing but whoever is picked all the lads are one.

As much as it's down to Gray to get his head down and work hard, Shakey/the coaching staff have a responsibility to get that out of him and reward him with game time if he does.

32 minutes ago, filbertway said:

His interview post match seemed anything but arrogant. Said he obviously hopes to be playing but whoever is picked all the lads are one.

As much as it's down to Gray to get his head down and work hard, Shakey/the coaching staff have a responsibility to get that out of him and reward him with game time if he does.

Everyone wants game time at a football club.

Players need to commit to the squad ethic from day one and just focus on giving their all unconditionally. It sounds so simple but coaches soon notice anyone who doesn't and the weaker the performance on the pitch by any loners the easier it is to leave them out.

So don't point to the coaches responsibility but the players.

The coach has a responsibility to everyone and that's difficult enough at an ambitious club like Leicester without people making it harder.  

Gray seems to be a kid in a hurry but really needs to take the time available to learn his trade properly so that he becomes 100% asset instead of 30% asset and 70% risk. If he's not patient and willing enough to learn he be short-lived as a firework in football terms. 

Chilwell's clearly managing and the improvement is immense.

18 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Everyone wants game time at a football club.

Players need to commit to the squad ethic from day one and just focus on giving their all unconditionally. It sounds so simple but coaches soon notice anyone who doesn't and the weaker the performance on the pitch by any loners the easier it is to leave them out.

So don't point to the coaches responsibility but the players.

The coach has a responsibility to everyone and that's difficult enough at an ambitious club like Leicester without people making it harder.  

Gray seems to be a kid in a hurry but really needs to take the time available to learn his trade properly so that he becomes 100% asset instead of 30% asset and 70% risk. If he's not patient and willing enough to learn he be short-lived as a firework in football terms. 

Chilwell's clearly managing and the improvement is immense.

If he's not putting it in and we have no interest in attempting to get hard work out of him then we may as well sack him off somewhere else where his lazy attitude doesn't matter as much.

I'd actually like to hear straight from Shakespeare is this is the case or if it's just the best excuse people can come up with. Considering Riyad apparently rolls into training whenever he wants and looks like he's just rolled out of bed on the pitch we clearly don't care too much about his work ethic.

For me he needs to massive work on his fitness as he looked dead on his feet towards the end of both halves. On top of this he looks a little indecisive on the ball in the final third, I think this probably comes from him being used to playing against defenders he can take on easily. When he's up against genuinely good defenders he's faced with a stiffer task and isn't sure if he can beat a man or if he should lay it off, By the time he's decided he's sometimes surrounded :D 

It'd be great is Albrighton could take him under his wing and get him to appreciate the position he finds himself in, make sure he gives it his all every session and every match. If he is doing that, it's then important to give him minutes or he'll see no reason to put in graft for no reward.

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

For me he needs to massive work on his fitness as he looked dead on his feet towards the end of both halves. On top of this he looks a little indecisive on the ball in the final third, I think this probably comes from him being used to playing against defenders he can take on easily. When he's up against genuinely good defenders he's faced with a stiffer task and isn't sure if he can beat a man or if he should lay it off, By the time he's decided he's sometimes surrounded :D 

All interesting points here.

I've already mentioned his apparent lack of stamina and I'd couple that with strength. Chilwell seems to have worked on this aspect but Gray still seems a bit lightweight and short of the tenaciousness necessary to stick in there against top class, often fast and determined defenders.

Regarding decision-making a lot of it's about finding time to get your head up for an instant, even before you've received the ball and to let the pictures guide you within the sort of disciplined framework that wouldn't allow for taking people on in the back two thirds of the pitch.

It also sews doubts in defenders minds to vary your game in the attacking third by mixing first time passes, hold-and-pass ploys, practiced wall-passes of various kinds and opportunist efforts to take people on.

Anything accurate that creates doubt or draws errors has the potential to cause chaos in a defence and that's the aim. But if there's a pattern defending becomes easier. Training games can be conditioned to include all these skills.       

On 23/06/2017 at 14:39, Thracian said:

Wow, we're going from Gray maybe being good enough for our first team to Gray being suddenly a potential England star. I hope you're right, of course I do, but I'm also hoping England turn up a bit more competition that you seem to be expecting.

Gray might benefit from Chilwell's influence because every time i see Chilwell play it's as if he's gone out, worked on areas where he's been criticised and improved them. 

Gray needs to do the same. To stop imagining people or things being against him and to start thinking of the team and how best he can be of value to it - which means improving every weakness and I've highlighted two - stamina and getting his head up.

When you mention England i can truly see Chilwell making it. Reflecting on the people who've played left-back for Leicester, this lad looks as comfortable and intelligent on the ball as any, He's a good athlete, he doesn't hide, he's stronger now and he's learning - I mean he's accepting criticism and doing something about it.

I want Gray to do the same. I don't want him to go home praising himself because he's had a moment's brilliance. I want him to be pleased with that but then to look at what he didn't do so well and to work on doing better or even to get others to be better around him if they're spoiling the party.

It's the same for all aspiring professionals really. They need to celebrate their successes and to build on them. But to reflect on their mistakes or limitations and try to turn them into positives.   

I'm not trying to be harsh or unreasonable either.

I lost a golf semi-final this morning. A round of 78, two birdies and the hitting of two par four greens (270 yards and 304 yards respectively) in one, wasn't good enough.

So the good bits were thoroughly enjoyed and the work starts now to reduce the number of putting mistakes and several shot choice and execution errors.      

It's not criticism for the sake of it, but what's needed to be a winner in any sport and at any age. And if Gray can get that into his head as a permanent attitude then I've every faith in him.    

I agree with all of the above, but the boy has talent, which we need to develop! 

49 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Developing ability is a two-way process. 

I agree with all you say about striving to be the best, I think what we disagree on is that you seem to be 100% sure that he isn't doing this already?  Maybe he just takes longer to learn?  Everyone develops at different rates.  To be where he is at 20 proves he at least has some determination surely?  I know you probably think I keep disagreeing with you for the sake of it but it just seems you say more negative than positive things about him and I can't quite work out why.  Everything you say is true apart from the fact that you have no idea how hard he works or what his attitude is apart from your own pre-held views and the fact he has a mardy face and says things in the press you find to be unprofessional.  If by this time next year he has not improved at all I will concede that I was wrong.

Good luck Demarai. X

41 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I agree with all you say about striving to be the best, I think what we disagree on is that you seem to be 100% sure that he isn't doing this already?

If he were striving for the best Thrac would be happy with him. Thrac is not happy with him therefore he's not striving for the best. QED. :wes:

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Yes Dimmy! Who needs Gilf when we can have Gray in behind Vardy

Keen for him to be given a start. Genuinely think Gray could be a great premiership player, hopefully with us. Could also be another Redmond though 

Archived