Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Domsdad

Demarai Gray

He was bang average again yesterday, only seems bothered when he's attacking , not interested in getting back,  he needs pull his finger out or the next move for him will be out on loan or even sold...

8 hours ago, Ricey said:

Continues to frustrate does our Demarai.

Some good moments but left Chilwell horribly exposed for most of the game.

Until he improves that side of his game then managers won't rely on him.

He played up front with Abraham

the midfield diamond deployed by the manager left chillwell exposed 

4 hours ago, Bozman said:

He was bang average again yesterday, only seems bothered when he's attacking , not interested in getting back,  he needs pull his finger out or the next move for him will be out on loan or even sold...

I seem to remember him making two full stretch clearance attempts from a LB position.

Although I've never seen him do that before. probably hoping Shakey was watching that

players like Gray and Mahrez are flair attacking players that when they are on the ball are mesmerising!. they are attacking players who want to go forward and score and create goals and yet we slate these players for not doing enough defensively! that's not there job! it's the defenders and defensive midfielders job to defend, yes they can defend as part of a team when the opposition have the ball but above that they shouldn't get continually slated for not defendeing, let them get on with their job.

1 minute ago, foxy boxing said:

players like Gray and Mahrez are flair attacking players that when they are on the ball are mesmerising!. they are attacking players who want to go forward and score and create goals and yet we slate these players for not doing enough defensively! that's not there job! it's the defenders and defensive midfielders job to defend, yes they can defend as part of a team when the opposition have the ball but above that they shouldn't get continually slated for not defendeing, let them get on with their job.

Gray hasnt really offered anything going forward for us anyway so no reason why he shouldn't be able to track back. 

1 hour ago, foxy boxing said:

Fine to a point but on that basis Gray doesn't get enough goals or assists and shouldn't himself expect Chilwell to be making goals for him, given that the lad is a defender and, by your yardstick, has no need involving himself with attacking.

Truth is ifootball doesn't work like  any longer - hence my wish, first and foremost, that Gray would increase his stamina and his defensive awareness.

I don't think anyone expects quick but lightly built  forwards to be boneshaking stoppers but they can be thoughtful harrassers especially as their speed will and agility should generally help them to shepherd attackers away from danger areas.        

Albrighton's a brilliant example. Stamina-wise he's remarkable. As all-action at the end of a game as at the beginning and as committed to defending as attacking. What an asset he's been especially the last quarter of last season when injury and tiredness were  taking their toll of so many players.

Chilwell, even at this stage, looks far more durable than Gray and seems to be willing to attack with far more commitment than Gray has for defending. 

And Gray needs to learn from both because he needs to stop thinking of defending as a chore and see it as a task which, if done well, will make him more valuable to the team.

That doesn't mean burning all his energy chasing the opposition - it means striking a responsible balance and understanding the game and where the team's vulnerabilities might lie when the ball's lost. 

King is excellent in this way and another who can be learned from. Watch him and he's forever looking up and around when the opposition gain possession to see where the danger lies and what area needs protecting most.

Kante, of course, was, and is, awesome at it and was a faster more manoeuverable athlete too, so could do more in response.

Gray needs to look at those guys and learn. There's more to being a footballer than just being skillful.  

how can you say Gray doesn't get enough goals or assists when he has never had a sustained run in the side? I firmly believe that had Gray played every minute Mahrez got last season he would have at the very least matched Mahrez' totals and would likely have passed them with ease, especially if he was able to relax into the side knowing he was going to play and didn't have to do everything in one 10 minute cameo when everyone else was just intent on seeing out that game

1 minute ago, cc_star said:

Wouldn't be sad to see him go

Can't be doing with anyone whining & moaning from the sidelines, not seen the likes of that since Pearson got rid of most of Sven's signings

which he hasn't been doing some people just have a sulky looking face

5 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

Agree, if players like Mahrez and Gray are expected to spend their game time defending...I am finished with football,..

6 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

I expect all players to close a man down, but Mahrez's ball recovery has been overlooked by many - he does it far more often than given credit for. The modern game is to defend as a team, attack as a team with one or two exceptions, I think Mahrez should be one of those exceptions

I'd have loved to have seen him move into the middle behind the front two, he was sensational Vs Atletico there but was then moved out to the wing by the next game

As far as Gray is concerned, he just needs to get better at his craft, imo he makes poor decisions which needs experience... I don't know if he'll make it, he's certainly got some talent but going by the press his attitude seems off for me

12 hours ago, cc_star said:

I expect all players to close a man down, but Mahrez's ball recovery has been overlooked by many - he does it far more often than given credit for. The modern game is to defend as a team, attack as a team with one or two exceptions, I think Mahrez should be one of those exceptions

I'd have loved to have seen him move into the middle behind the front two, he was sensational Vs Atletico there but was then moved out to the wing by the next game

As far as Gray is concerned, he just needs to get better at his craft, imo he makes poor decisions which needs experience... I don't know if he'll make it, he's certainly got some talent but going by the press his attitude seems off for me

Gray didn't "go to the press" he was put up for interview by England whilst playing for the u21s and was asked about the lack of prem appearances young players get

Archived