Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Slimani

13 hours ago, Redouane said:

Most underrated is more like it. Guy played like a monster in the early season when Vardy was sitting at 0 goals. Then he had an unfortunate injury spell but that still didn't stop him from delivering from working hard to regain form as bench player. After all that, he still got so much stick from some and is still greatly under appreciated by Shakespeare. Now obviously slimani can't start over Vardy but a plan B to Okazaki?? Really? 

IMO Slimani is well underrated. Given the right service he will score goals and lots of them. I say keep him 

1 hour ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

IMO Slimani is well underrated. Given the right service he will score goals and lots of them. I say keep him 

Don't worry :) if we don't get some creativity signed up once we've lost mahrez we can start ulloa with slim and just smash the ball up field for a change lol

14 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

I genuinely don't understand why people rate him. He's just a foreign Ian Ormondroyd. Another Ulloa. He's got very little quality but is good in the air.

He's the sort of player who would be an asset to a struggling side if you can put loads of crosses onto his head. He's nowhere near good enough for a team aiming for Europe.

We can do much better.

Because he got 8 goals and 5 assists even though he only started 15 games all season?

He has our best minutes per goal ratio and people think he's shit!

Are we now saying headed goals don't count as well as penalties? lol 

I hadn't seen much of Slim before we signed him. I'd heard about him and reading the forum, people were raving about him.

So when I knew we were signing him I was excited by the prospect.

The truth is, I've been disappointed. Not by the stats particularly. They are fine

But just watching him play. 

I was expecting a powerhouse..a rampaging striker..a little like Lukaku maybe, just not quite so big.

But when you see him play, he looks like a donkey. He's slow, his first touch is well....average and he seems to go missing for length periods.

Saying that, he knows where the goal is to be fair. A bit like a modern day Ian Marshall.

Finally, his fitness is a worry. To be having your record signing missing a game here, a game there, Champions League fixtures etc isn't good.

If we get good money for him, I'd sell him. I don't think he's as good as people make out (note to self: do not make ANY opinion of a player based on what is written on here. Watch them first).

If we don't get bids I'm not too bothered either. I think he'll score some goals. If he can stay fit.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I hadn't seen much of Slim before we signed him. I'd heard about him and reading the forum, people were raving about him.

The truth is, I've been disappointed. Not by the stats particularly. They are fine

I was expecting a powerhouse..a rampaging striker..a little like Lukaku maybe, just not quite so big.

But when you see him play, he looks like a donkey. He's slow, his first touch is well....average and he seems to go missing for length periods.

Saying that, he knows where the goal is to be fair. A bit like a modern day Ian Marshall.

Finally, his fitness is a worry. To be having your record signing missing a game here, a game there, Champions League fixtures etc isn't good.

If we get good money for him, I'd sell him. I don't think he's as good as people make out (note to self: do not make ANY opinion of a player based on what is written on here. Watch them first).

If we don't get bids I'm not too bothered either. I think he'll score some goals. If he can stay fit.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about Slim aswell Col

14 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

I genuinely don't understand why people rate him. He's just a foreign Ian Ormondroyd. Another Ulloa. He's got very little quality but is good in the air.

He's the sort of player who would be an asset to a struggling side if you can put loads of crosses onto his head. He's nowhere near good enough for a team aiming for Europe.

We can do much better.

I don't need convincing about Slimani's ability - you don't score at his rate through being rubbish - I'm just not sure he fits into our team or even our club. 

Part of that's to do with the way the Algerian fans of their countrymen talk.

It's all about their people, their achievements, their needs.

It's not about the club and the collective contribution to that entity.

And if the followers' attitude is reflected by the players I don't see it helps.

Those followers won't be Leicester City fans if their heroes leave. Other foreign players have their fans too who would also probably move on with their player but I don't  recall the same canvassing attitude, the same pushing of their man's deserving to be in the team. They just support and appreciate in the main, rather than seeking to promote what amounts to a cause.

To me, Leicester City were primarily successful because of their incredible team spirit and the way they seemed to support one another on and off the field. 

I don't say it was perfect, but on match days it was pretty close - and Mahrez as much as anyone - until his head started to get turned by the impact of his own publicity and he focused on advancing his own cause.

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

What's his goals with feet to minute ratio?

or his waving his arms in the air to minute ratio?

what percentage of the time does he spend chasing his first touch?

Two of those applied to Vardy after his first season here. 

I thought most Leicester fans would be cautious to write off a player after an average season given Vardy's first season but clearly not.

I like him as a player and on ability alone we should keep him as I think he'll only improve but if Abrasive is right and he's a divisive figure then we should get rid. Simple as that imho.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

We all know he has a poor touch, and his hold up play ain't the best.

My biggest concern is his work rate, he worked his socks off against Burnley and especially Porto, yet the majority of his games he looks disinterested and lazy, he just doesn't have that sprinkle of majic dust that Birchenall refers to.

I am definitely in the expected more camp.

Like any striker struggling he just needs consistent game time and tactics that play to his strengths. On his day he can be excellent, unfortunately we really don't play to his style so no wonder he looks pants half the time. I would still keep him for another season in the hope we can get the best out of him. Personally I think too many players get binned too quickly sometimes before they can settle and play to their full potential; it's good to be patient.

19 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Like any striker struggling he just needs consistent game time and tactics that play to his strengths. On his day he can be excellent, unfortunately we really don't play to his style so no wonder he looks pants half the time. I would still keep him for another season in the hope we can get the best out of him. Personally I think too many players get binned too quickly sometimes before they can settle and play to their full potential; it's good to be patient.

This is the question matey. You hit the nail on the head.

Do we: change our playing style to accommodate Slimani (don't forget..he's our record striker and I assume isn't earning three shillings per week?)

OR: do we sell him and buy someone who fits into how Shakey wants us to play?

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Do we: change our playing style to accommodate Slimani (don't forget..he's our record striker and I assume isn't earning three shillings per week?)

I think it's good to have a plan B but I also appreciate you're never going to keep everyone  happy. If we aren't going to change our playing for situations where Slimani's skills may be better suited we are probably better off selling him back to Sporting and keep Ulloa on side. In terms of money (premier league money) I think it's not a problem keeping him on the books but I do think it's a waste if we can't use him properly.

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Two of those applied to Vardy after his first season here. 

I thought most Leicester fans would be cautious to write off a player after an average season given Vardy's first season but clearly not.

Sick of hearing the Vardy example for players that don't perform in their first season.  Vardy was a one off.  He was stepping up five or six divisions from non-league FFS, there is no comparison with International players with CL experience.  

With our continental imports it seems that they either hit the ground running like Ndidi and Kante or they don't make it no matter how much time they're given like Inler, Hernandez and probably Musa.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

If he doesn't fit in to how the manager wants us to play then theres little point in keeping him imo. Flog him back to Sporting and include a deal for Silva.

22 minutes ago, murphy said:

Sick of hearing the Vardy example for players that don't perform in their first season.  Vardy was a one off.  He was stepping up five or six divisions from non-league FFS, there is no comparison with International players with CL experience.  

With our continental imports it seems that they either hit the ground running like Ndidi and Kante or they don't make it no matter how much time they're given like Inler, Hernandez and probably Musa.

All three of your examples are hardly the best. 

Inler: Couldn't get in because Kante was the b****cks

Hernandez: Never played in his out and out preferred position 

Musa: Flashes here and there but yeah I'll accept that one. 

The difference is Slimani has shown on multiple occasions he can be very, very good. He's been a real threat to certain teams. Pivotal at times in the Champions League games in the group stages too. 

Worth another season and if it doesn't come off - say goodbye in January. We ain't going to get what we paid for him unless China come sniffing. The only way he will go Sporting is either on loan or with a vastly reduced transfer fee. So we might as well have a pre-season where he will try and fit in more (a week in Austria and then in Hong Kong). 

I'd keep him unless we get back what we paid. He will score goals next season, he scored a few few last season and only played about half the games! 

The problem I think is he's one of those players who 'only scores goals' and people therefore judge him due to his lack of an all-round game. The problem is heightened as a Leicester fan as we're used to a high-energy style of play, so anybody who doesn't run around like a mad man (Riyad, Slimani to an extent) gets criticised for it. If Shakey tweaks our style, Slim could become more effective. I doubt he will, nor do I particularly want him to, though.

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

All three of your examples are hardly the best. 

Inler: Couldn't get in because Kante was the b****cks

Hernandez: Never played in his out and out preferred position 

Musa: Flashes here and there but yeah I'll accept that one. 

The difference is Slimani has shown on multiple occasions he can be very, very good. He's been a real threat to certain teams. Pivotal at times in the Champions League games in the group stages too. 

Worth another season and if it doesn't come off - say goodbye in January. We ain't going to get what we paid for him unless China come sniffing. The only way he will go Sporting is either on loan or with a vastly reduced transfer fee. So we might as well have a pre-season where he will try and fit in more (a week in Austria and then in Hong Kong). 

Perfect examples.  

Inler was relegated behind King in the pecking order, whenever he played he was slow, ponderous and just not good enough.  Hernandez - not good enough or if you're being charitable both didn't adapt to the premier league.  

The idea that Inler would have made it but for Kante is laughable.  Would you rather we were still wasting our time persevering with him now or would you rather get some quality in?

I am digressing as this 'time' thing happens to be one of my pet hates regarding signings, back on topic I actually rate Slimani as a goalscorer if not a great player. 

Archived