Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Elite:Dangerous

This game is hard!

Started a new save in solo mode, and took the first mission which pays 10,000 CR for delivering some files.

Struggles with the hypercruise thing - how do you know when to "exit"?

Docking is a pain in the arse - can get through the letterbox but "parking" the ship on a sixpence is a bit tricky!

Anyway, I banked the 10,000 CR (less 400 CR fine for "loitering"). Just not really sure what to do next!

14 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

This game is hard!

Started a new save in solo mode, and took the first mission which pays 10,000 CR for delivering some files.

Struggles with the hypercruise thing - how do you know when to "exit"?

Docking is a pain in the arse - can get through the letterbox but "parking" the ship on a sixpence is a bit tricky!

Anyway, I banked the 10,000 CR (less 400 CR fine for "loitering"). Just not really sure what to do next!

Hypercruise - The key to this is just not to enter in too fast

You'll notice on the throttle control, there is a little bit of blue light to the left of it, this is the recommended throttle for approach, you'll notice when you enter this blue zone on the throttle control, the little line representing your current throttle rate turns blue, this means your set to hit your destination without overshooting it. You then have to keep an eye on the distance and speed on the left of the cockpit view, and try and keep the lines level until they both hit the blue zone, a perfect approach would mean the two meters hit the blue zone at the same time. Sometimes you overshoot due to gravity though, if you notice your speed suddenly start rocketing up on approach, pitch your ship down until you start to slow, then pitch up to realign with the location, you should then find you just need to slowly drift in and you should be reasonably close.

If your having trouble docking, you can buy a docking computer from technological outposts and space stations for about 5,000 credits, this basically autopilots your ship in to dock

From the beginning, you should be aiming to upgrade your frameshift drive on the sidewinder, this will enable you to reach systems further away. Just do delivery missions until you can upgrade your ship a bit. Buy what you can afford, but always keep an eye on the insurance costs to replace your ship if it gets destroyed. You always want enough money to cover the insurance of your ship, ignoring this could mean possible starting from scratch. This is especially relevent if you are planning on using a docking computer, because sometimes, on very rare occasions, it will crash your ship when trying to land.

Buy a cobra MkIII as soon as you have the money for it, then the game truly opens up and you can go pretty much anywhere you like. Then work on getting your sol system pass, which requires you doing federation missions in a smallish area of the galaxy, try not to move around the galaxy too much when doing this as it just makes your life more difficult

Edited by MrSpaM

3 hours ago, MrSpaM said:

Hypercruise - The key to this is just not to enter in too fast

You'll notice on the throttle control, there is a little bit of blue light to the left of it, this is the recommended throttle for approach, you'll notice when you enter this blue zone on the throttle control, the little line representing your current throttle rate turns blue, this means your set to hit your destination without overshooting it. You then have to keep an eye on the distance and speed on the left of the cockpit view, and try and keep the lines level until they both hit the blue zone, a perfect approach would mean the two meters hit the blue zone at the same time. Sometimes you overshoot due to gravity though, if you notice your speed suddenly start rocketing up on approach, pitch your ship down until you start to slow, then pitch up to realign with the location, you should then find you just need to slowly drift in and you should be reasonably close.

If your having trouble docking, you can buy a docking computer from technological outposts and space stations for about 5,000 credits, this basically autopilots your ship in to dock

From the beginning, you should be aiming to upgrade your frameshift drive on the sidewinder, this will enable you to reach systems further away. Just do delivery missions until you can upgrade your ship a bit. Buy what you can afford, but always keep an eye on the insurance costs to replace your ship if it gets destroyed. You always want enough money to cover the insurance of your ship, ignoring this could mean possible starting from scratch. This is especially relevent if you are planning on using a docking computer, because sometimes, on very rare occasions, it will crash your ship when trying to land.

Buy a cobra MkIII as soon as you have the money for it, then the game truly opens up and you can go pretty much anywhere you like. Then work on getting your sol system pass, which requires you doing federation missions in a smallish area of the galaxy, try not to move around the galaxy too much when doing this as it just makes your life more difficult

Thanks for the pointers. So when I go into hypercruise can I whack the throttle right up but keep an eye on it and bring it down into the blue when I get "near" or is it best to keep it in the blue for the entire jouney?

Just now, stripeyfox said:

Thanks for the pointers. So when I go into hypercruise can I whack the throttle right up but keep an eye on it and bring it down into the blue when I get "near" or is it best to keep it in the blue for the entire jouney?

You can whack it up until you hit about 1,000 lys away, then hover it around the blue marker after that, that's the way I've been doing it

Got this today. Just started the training

Docking wasn't too bad. Getting into the station was easy, but I didn't listen to the instructions and couldn't work out where to go and there didn't seem to be a way to replay the instructions or read them. :dunno:

Second time around was a breeze.

On 28/06/2017 at 22:43, Trav Le Bleu said:

Same reasons for me too, though I understand the solo play is very good too. Will be getting this as soon as I see it. Had a browse at Tesco today when shopping, but they didn't have it... figures. Will check Asda when do main shopping at weekend. If that fails, Gamesworld will probably be my next port of call. I have absolutely no intention of traveling into town just to go to Game, which is to gaming what Our Price was to music, i.e. inflated prices with know nothing salespeople.

Shopto.net is always worth checking out. 

14 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Got this today. Just started the training

Docking wasn't too bad. Getting into the station was easy, but I didn't listen to the instructions and couldn't work out where to go and there didn't seem to be a way to replay the instructions or read them. :dunno:

Second time around was a breeze.

The bay with the fvck off great big numbers glowing on it? :D

Spent all night trying to find federation navy missions at a station I've almost got the reputation up to full on all the factions, and only managed to find one all night lol getting the sol pass is a complete pain in the arse

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

The bay with the fvck off great big numbers glowing on it? :D

Thanks Einstein. :rolleyes:

Remember I'm so old skool I played the original and Frontier where you just had to hit the slot.

I'd been waiting for a long time for this to be ported to the PS4. I am a huge sci-fi/space exploration fan and I'm absolutely loving it. Took me a few days to get disconnection issues sorted however (seemed to be a problem affecting BT homehub users, made the game almost unplayable for a while).

I'm mostly trading in my little hauler with some mining on the side, planning to get enough money together for a deep, deep space exploration trip eventually. Following that maybe passenger missions.

No Man's Sky was such a disappointment I'm just relieved at how good this game as become if this is your kind of thing. I'm keeping a close eye on star citizen, but I'd need to buy a better computer to run that.

I was also excited to see my first neutron star last night:

fSwlteU.jpg

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 1

Thanks to my very poor WiFi connection with my PS4, seems I might need to get a power network. Thought you could play this offline, but seems not. Every time I move to a different part of the game, it disconnects and missions aren't available. :(

5 hours ago, z-layrex said:

I'd been waiting for a long time for this to be ported to the PS4. I am a huge sci-fi/space exploration fan and I'm absolutely loving it. Took me a few days to get disconnection issues sorted however (seemed to be a problem affecting BT homehub users, made the game almost unplayable for a while).

I'm mostly trading in my little hauler with some mining on the side, planning to get enough money together for a deep, deep space exploration trip eventually. Following that maybe passenger missions.

No Man's Sky was such a disappointment I'm just relieved at how good this game as become if this is your kind of thing. I'm keeping a close eye on star citizen, but I'd need to buy a better computer to run that.

I was also excited to see my first neutron star last night:

fSwlteU.jpg

awesome stuff commander. First time I went to Sagittarius A, I was in a hauler. it can be done. But i would recommend a Diamond back scout or asp explorer with a modified FSD

7 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Thanks to my very poor WiFi connection with my PS4, seems I might need to get a power network. Thought you could play this offline, but seems not. Every time I move to a different part of the game, it disconnects and missions aren't available. :(

Go to network, create new connection, custom. Click eveything as normal but when you hit DNS change it manually to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, at MTU go manual and change it to 1473.

• 2 weeks later...

@z-layrex

Tried that, didn't work, but hey, thanks. Got a powerline network now and problems sorted. In fact, my whole PS4 experience is improved.

Just started modding my sidewinder, got about 250,000 cr.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

A friend of mine has just bought this on the XBone with Horizons and all of the DLC, spent the night sessioning it on Saturday. I enjoyed it.

Ended up having to consult a LOT of YouTube tutorials, but upgraded the Sidewinder a bit, then started farming crims in the RES sites in nearby systems to the starting planet. Some of them getting us 150,000 credits a pop (with the help of the local feds)

Earned about 1m credits in an a couple of hours once we'd figured out the best locations.

Feels like we've only just scratched the surface, though - there's a LOT of information to take in, we haven't even gotten started with missions, factions and trading etc.

Edited by RoboFox

On 05/07/2017 at 17:00, Trav Le Bleu said:

Thanks Einstein. :rolleyes:

Remember I'm so old skool I played the original and Frontier where you just had to hit the slot.

In two minds about whether to get this. Loved frontier though never lasted very long. Is the music as good as frontier's? Travelling along to ride of the valkyrie always awesome!

On 28/06/2017 at 23:11, stripeyfox said:

i just downloaded from PS Store. £19.99 for main game and £ 19.99 for the expansions. Loaded up in 20/30 minutes or so.

what is in the expansions and would i be missing much not getting them?

4 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I think the expansions lets you land on and explore planets. 

Is doing that more  fun than no man's sky?

https://discord.gg/vnPSp2R  

Come check out our in game player faction on discord, we have a home system in PARAS and control several systems surrounding it. We aim to help new players learn the finer details of the game, and are hoping to expand our group with a new PS4 wing. 

Come say HI, tell them Beliall sent you from FT. Although I will probably be around to add you myself

17 hours ago, toddybad said:

In two minds about whether to get this. Loved frontier though never lasted very long. Is the music as good as frontier's? Travelling along to ride of the valkyrie always awesome!

Think less Wagner and more Vangelis.

On 7/19/2017 at 13:15, Beliall said:

https://discord.gg/vnPSp2R  

Come check out our in game player faction on discord, we have a home system in PARAS and control several systems surrounding it. We aim to help new players learn the finer details of the game, and are hoping to expand our group with a new PS4 wing. 

Come say HI, tell them Beliall sent you from FT. Although I will probably be around to add you myself

Shame the game isn't cross-platform.

Didn't even know you could do this, though. What are the benefits? What effect does it have on the game?

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Shame the game isn't cross-platform.

Didn't even know you could do this, though. What are the benefits? What effect does it have on the game?

it is a shame we cant play cross platform but the universe is the same. if you win a system for power play in xbox it will be owned across all platforms.

We actually applied early on and we have our player faction in game check out PARAS in the system map. you will see our description there. We control several systems and this allows us to hopefully, in the future become a full blown power play faction competing with the other major factions. 

aside from that we have a friendly and helpful community with years of experience to help guide you through the more complicated aspects of the game. We know all the shortcuts