Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Elite:Dangerous

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

So far only played solo, but feeling fairly competent now, so I'm wondering if I go into the open world do I carry over all the credits and ship mods, or do I start fresh?

You carry over man. get out there!

On 20/07/2017 at 19:25, Beliall said:

You carry over man. get out there!

Well until they sort out the disconnects I won't be too invested. I didn't  particularly have a problem until the new patch!

:(

24 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

When playing solo are other ship AIs or PCs? Just wondering, cos sometimes they seem very unpredictable, which indicates some PC interaction, even when playing solo.

Solo is solo mate. just you and the NPC's
Private group is the same unless you invite friends.
Open is where random players are

1 hour ago, Beliall said:

Solo is solo mate. just you and the NPC's
Private group is the same unless you invite friends.
Open is where random players are

Then why do I get crashes when dropping out of hyperspace or docking that say, "couldn't connect to matchmaker server"? I assumed it was referring to try to match me with other players based on whatever criteria.

Pretty annoyed that I keep getting disconnected from server on a supposedly offline game :(

Just now, Trav Le Bleu said:

Then why do I get crashes when dropping out of hyperspace or docking that say, "couldn't connect to matchmaker server"? I assumed it was referring to try to match me with other players based on whatever criteria.

Pretty annoyed that I keep getting disconnected from server on a supposedly offline game :(

the game is always using an online connection. it connects to the servers to update the markets and stuff

Just now, Beliall said:

the game is always using an online connection. it connects to the servers to update the markets and stuff

1 minute ago, Beliall said:

Yeah, I know, but it disconnects me in flight. Go figure. Annoying thing is, as I said, I was fine until the patch... :angry:

TBF, this is why I usually don't buy games within the first couple months of release, let the other mugs do the 'playtesting' before I get it, but couldn't resist.

Anyhow, got Cobra III with 4A power and drives, 36 ton cargo bay and room for two passengers operating near Sol (not got permit yet). Just got blown up for first time though, after going to the aid of someone else. However, evading interdiction is a cake walk!

8 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Yeah, I know, but it disconnects me in flight. Go figure. Annoying thing is, as I said, I was fine until the patch... :angry:

TBF, this is why I usually don't buy games within the first couple months of release, let the other mugs do the 'playtesting' before I get it, but couldn't resist.

Anyhow, got Cobra III with 4A power and drives, 36 ton cargo bay and room for two passengers operating near Sol (not got permit yet). Just got blown up for first time though, after going to the aid of someone else. However, evading interdiction is a cake walk!

I cannot say enough how much i recommend open play. get out there man. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2017 at 05:42, MrSpaM said:

Trying to save up for an Anaconda

This is going to take ages! lol 150 million!

Are you there yet?! lol 

Never have I played a game with so many Reddits and YouTubes open at the same time. Still so much to explore and do.

Building up credits by going to extraction sites and shooting pirates is awesome. I'm still crap at real combat though. Tried a civil war kill the enemy mission and was wiped out. Will stick to trading a bit more and maybe then go for some smuggling....

9 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

Are you there yet?! lol 

Never have I played a game with so many Reddits and YouTubes open at the same time. Still so much to explore and do.

Building up credits by going to extraction sites and shooting pirates is awesome. I'm still crap at real combat though. Tried a civil war kill the enemy mission and was wiped out. Will stick to trading a bit more and maybe then go for some smuggling....

Buy a ship with 4 weapon slots, equip one gimbal beam laser, and 3 gimbal multi cannons

Assign all the multi cannons to the same trigger, and the beam laser to the other

Shoot pirates with beam laser until their shield drops, then open fire with all 3 multi cannons at once

Watch as they explode into 50 million pieces in a matter of seconds

And no, I'm nowhere near 150 million lol

Pirates are normally ok, you just wait for the security services to pounce and then get some hits in to claim the bounty. 

I have a Cobra Mk3 at the moment, much more fun than sidewinder but need to play within my means (i.e. I'm crappy at open combat!).

So much to do in this game, it's almost overwhelming. Not even gone near Horizons yet either. Still not done factions either, should probably give it a go but the PS4 is on the main tv and Mrs HF isn't too keen me playing games all evening! 

Found a capital ship today, at Rana, though it seemed rather inactive. I gather they are supposed to have a exclusion zone, even for friendlies, but I succeeded in crashing into it with no retaliation.  

Impressive though.

On 8/26/2017 at 03:35, The People's Hero said:

Bought this and micro machines and tomb raider when drunk the other night. Got a feeling I'll be terrible at Elite. 

Even I can play it TPH.  Thankfully the days of impossible docking on a BBC Micro / Acorn Electron are behind us.  You can safely potter around with no / to minimal hassle if you like, or just pile on with the security forces to get easy credits by helping finish off criminals at extraction sites.  I'm really crappy at anything beyond that but still having fun exploring and trading... 

• 2 weeks later...

So.

Anyone else still playing this and able to guarantee they won't disconnect during a session on PS4? About ready to give up myself.

Sometimes I can play for 2-3 hours with no problems, other times it's every 5 to 10 mins. Reckon it's server related, as the no problem times for me are daytime in the week when I'm home early or day off or early on Sunday morning's. Evenings and weekend daytime seem awful.

• 3 weeks later...