Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tony1784

Troy Deeney

2 minutes ago, Worthington said:

Trawling the Watford forums gives me an even more uneasy feeling about this.

Majority want him gone and some of the negativity regarding both his condition and loss of form is scathing. One or two even rate their 'lard lump' Okaka as a better option!

These are the fans that watched Deeney throughout last season and compared his contribution to that of the season before.

Like us, with Mahrez, there's an overall mood of disappointment, unlike us though, they, in the main, would be happy to see their club 'cash in' on a 29 yo with dipping form.

:(

22 minutes ago, CyprusFox said:

:(

I'm not surprised.

There are many posts on the transfer threads, I think, that are made by people without analysing players at all. Rather a 'yeah it's Deeney, he must be good, gerriiimmmin' type thing.

I'd have gotten him a couple of seasons back, no problem. Now....he needs to look bothered before I'd even entertain him.

I think people might be being overly harsh. He's always been a proper grafter with a team ethic. Him and Vardy could be terrifying. He was our number 1 target last season. Let's not judge him too harshly on the back of one poor season. Who knows why he lost his motivation there, we don't know what has gone on behind the scenes.  Looking at the overall picture I think he'd fit in well to our squad. 

But, is he better than a Slimani who's had a full pre-season with us? Not too sure about that. I see him as more of a Shinji replacement. I love Shinji, but I am sick to death of seeing him fall over. Deeney won't be doing that quite so much.

21 minutes ago, Bamba's Babes said:

Turned us down last season so he can do one this season.

Rubbish, we balked at Watford's joke valuation and moved on.

We need a No.10 who can link up play, with more product than Okazaki but with the same work ethic. He'd be better than Defrel, plus by playing 10 he'd be able to play with Vardy or Slimani. As for him being fat, he's probably one the hardest workers off season. Hits the gym pretty much every day. And he's intelligent, with an excellent character. If we don't get Iheanacho I'd be happy with Deeney, him and Vardy would be a good pair IMO, physical and intimidating to defend against. 

This is the kind of signing that often seems to work out for us. Hard working, high character players who are out of favour at their club. He  seems to know what our lads are about and I think he would probably be a better fit than signings who aren't enthusiastic about playing for us. My only concern would be his wages if that 80k number is correct.

Whoever we sign it would suggest that Okazaki will be playing less of a starting role next year, which is probably fair given his goal scoring (or lack, thereof; I'm a huge fan of his, but we do need two goal scorers in there). 

While Troy Deeney might be about as inspiring as Smartprice Ketchup, his record isn't awful, considering what a dry team he played for. 25 goals in two years averages out quite well. With Deeney, we know exactly what we'll get; a hard working, tough, brawler of a centre forward. He's good in the air and is very powerful - factors which (despite the aforementioned lack of inspiration), we can't really deny. The price Watford value him at is ridiculous though, which certainly should put us off him and aim for a young, (almost definitely) more talented Iheanacho. 

Plunging any footballer into a new country, club and culture as the club's record signing just after their most successful season, all while not fully fit are all contributing factors to Slimani's hot and cold season. Personally, I'd like us not to be a club that completely disregards £30 million players who've only started a handful of games. Iheanacho seems the most sensible buy in that sense, as he's young and won't have a world of expectation on his shoulders - if he's phased in slowly, he can have an impact in the long term should Slimani not produce the goods this year. 

Archived