Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Le Tour 2017

5 hours ago, David Guiza said:

Never really been too much into cycling as a spectator sport, but a lad I grew up is racing for the second year running, Dan McLay. A little disheartening to see when you struggle to cycle up a mild incline yourself though.  

Dan McLay - he's a decent up and coming rider, you should get back in touch with him!

4 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Jesus that looked awful, fingers crossed Cav is ok!

Filthy from Sagan, be interesting to see if any action taken against the poster boy of the tour

Yeah, my instant thought was Sagan was a little naughty there to put it mildly and I expect the elbow seen in the replay was a more knowing subconscious reaction that ITV have suggested.  

9 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Jesus that looked awful, fingers crossed Cav is ok!

Filthy from Sagan, be interesting to see if any action taken against the poster boy of the tour

4 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Yeah, my instant thought was Sagan was a little naughty there to put it mildly and I expect the elbow seen in the replay was a more knowing subconscious reaction that ITV have suggested.  

After several looks... maybe Sagan is not as guilty as it seemed. He was left with little place to go and the elbow came out as a stabilising factor for himself as contact was being made. 

• Like 1

Why do so many people take pictures with iPads?

Can't think of anything more cumbersome to use and given the poor quality of camera contained within them too, it just makes it that much more bizarre. 

I guess it's just more evidence to the theory, people are idiots!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Dan McLay - he's a decent up and coming rider, you should get back in touch with him!

He seems to be out of the country for large proportions of the year, but often bump into him over Christmas. Seems as though he is getting much better as he ages, I assume cyclists peak around late 20s?

15 minutes ago, Super_horns said:
Blimey - they must have really taken a dim view of events to DQ a big name who brought a lot of press attention to the Tour.

Maybe setting an example?

Just read the BBC sport report - I'm suprised because as you can tell from my posts above it didn't look good initially, but you could see reasons for the 'elbow' after viewing different angles / considering the chain of events.

Apparently the Tour initially went for 30 second time penalty + 80 points deduction - Dimension Data didn't like that and so the DQ became the decision.

Its a big decision from the Tour that's for sure... the race will be less without him... yet you can't help think of a similar recent incident in another racing sport and how a much different decision was reached.

Wrong decision for me, over the years you have seen much worse in terms of riders leaning in and using the head and elbows during the final sprint.

Maybe they have been swayed by how nasty the crash was, now managed to see it so many times that I am trying to work out what Sagan could have done much differently.

Really bad news for Cav, a bad crash. yes Sagan elbowed him into the barriers but Cav is always going for gaps that aren't there but such a shame. sprinting is really competitive and really dangerous.

some people will say Sagan was ejected from the tour not because of the incident but to make the green jersey completion more competitive with Sagan gone the completion is wide open!

1 hour ago, foxy boxing said:

Really bad news for Cav, a bad crash. yes Sagan elbowed him into the barriers but Cav is always going for gaps that aren't there but such a shame. sprinting is really competitive and really dangerous.

some people will say Sagan was ejected from the tour not because of the incident but to make the green jersey completion more competitive with Sagan gone the completion is wide open!

That is a very good point, over the years you do feel this sort of thing has happened to Cavendish a lot more than the other recognised sprinters but then on the other hand many of his career wins have come from sneaking into a gap that nobody else thought possible, double edge sword I guess.

Time not on his side to break the record of 34 stage wins now and some seriously good young sprinters are not even on this tour but no doubt will be next year, Gaviria being the most notable.

Thomas abandons with a broken collar bone, could make things more interesting now Team Sky a man down.

Froome trying to break Quintana in the mountains today, Contador already distanced by a mile or several.

Porte now looking likely to abandon after an awful crash coming down the last discent, crazy how hard they push at those speeds

Edited by EastAnglianFox

that was a brutal stage with both Geraint Thomas and Riche Porte crashing out! porte's crash looked particularly nasty and just glad he was o.k.. Quintana just doesn't seem to have it at the tour for whatever reason and it looks a three way battle between Froome, Bardet and Aru for the rest of the tour!

12 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

that was a brutal stage with both Geraint Thomas and Riche Porte crashing out! porte's crash looked particularly nasty and just glad he was o.k.. Quintana just doesn't seem to have it at the tour for whatever reason and it looks a three way battle between Froome, Bardet and Aru for the rest of the tour!

To be fair Quintana is 57.

42 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Not a good day for Froome - lost time to most of his rivals at the top.

But lets face it... a lot of us are now quite excited by the prospect of seeing a race!

I must admit, and it's easy to say this after the event, I felt there was more to come in this Tour given how chaotic and eventful the first week had been. True the fear of a dull processional ride to Paris remained, but I'm pleased my inkling of an instinct has come to reality.

• Like 2