Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

26 minutes ago, Buce said:

Not locally, mate - I think the hot, dry Summer was probably not to the liking of fungi. I found a decent few in Wales a couple of weeks back, though. 

So, if I want a tasty puffball breakfast I've got to trek over to that godforsaken damp country ...   nah ...   I think I'll give it a miss this year ...   :(

Just now, Countryfox said:

So, if I want a tasty puffball breakfast I've got to trek over to that godforsaken damp country ...   nah ...   I think I'll give it a miss this year ...   :(

I was just carrying hiking rations, mate so I was glad to find them.

And it barely rained at all.

1 hour ago, Buce said:

I was just carrying hiking rations, mate so I was glad to find them.

And it barely rained at all.

J for joke Bucey ...  lovely place and had many a good holiday there ...   too far for mi puffballs though ...   like you said the weather has done for them.  Oh well, next year ..

• 3 weeks later...

Every year, Mrs B plants a dozen or so different varieties of squash (just for fun, really - we don’t have the room for a market garden like you, @Countryfox), and every year we get some interesting cross-pollenation going on. But we’ve never had anything as weird as this before:

3FB579D1-1207-4862-9A52-636BF6D12718.thumb.jpeg.c92991c90627c42c6ecf07eae2cca084.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Every year, Mrs B plants a dozen or so different varieties of squash (just for fun, really - we don’t have the room for a market garden like you, @Countryfox), and every year we get some interesting cross-pollenation going on. But we’ve never had anything as weird as this before:

3FB579D1-1207-4862-9A52-636BF6D12718.thumb.jpeg.c92991c90627c42c6ecf07eae2cca084.jpeg

That’s a weird one !!! .....     Obviously something to do with living in Oadby ...    do any of your neighbours play banjos and spend a lot of time at the dentist Bucey ? ....      :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Ahh ...  he was talking to the dog then ! ..    (who's face is just about visible bottom left) ...      :thumbup:

That's it!!   Blame the poor dumb innocent thing,he wasn't plastered using my branches to hold himself up.....:unsure:

Just now, Countryfox said:

Since that tree spoke to me I’ve been getting really paranoid...    I swear they are looking at me too !!!   :o

37C79902-7405-47E1-B788-36773A20E237.jpeg

I think you’ve been watching too much LOTR, CF. 

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:58, Countryfox said:

Most things going off now but Dahlias coming out to add a lovely touch of colour to the garden at this time of year ...

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

Went to Baddesley Clinton National Trust place at the end of October. Their wide borders of Dahlias was quite magical. The perfect natural symmetry of these flowers is amazing. They were about to dig up the tubers and protect them over winter ready for next spring's planting. It looked like a mammoth task to remove and sort the best root stock from all of those flowers. (Sorry no pic).

Edited by Parafox

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:27, Buce said:

My Mrs (allotmenteer) says that looks like a cross between a Turks Turban and a Pumpkin, both are from the squash family.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad sight yesterday morning ...   the headless remains of a barn owl at the foot of a tree.   Pretty sure it lived in an owl box about 200 yds away.  Midway between the box and the tree were a few tell tale white feathers ...   the owl had probably dropped onto a mouse or vole in the field unaware that an even bigger predator was watching above.   Could have been a sparrowhawk or kite, but more likely a buzzard, which are prevalent round here.  The buzzard would have then taken it to the highest tree and started eating the head as there isn’t much meat anywhere else on an owl ...   then dropped it down ...   where I found it.   

8C2B9350-9EE0-43E5-AD23-EF7628094081.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Sad sight yesterday morning ...   the headless remains of a barn owl at the foot of a tree.   Pretty sure it lived in an owl box about 200 yds away.  Midway between the box and the tree were a few tell tale white feathers ...   the owl had probably dropped onto a mouse or vole in the field unaware that an even bigger predator was watching above.   Could have been a sparrowhawk or kite, but more likely a buzzard, which are prevalent round here.  The buzzard would have then taken it to the highest tree and started eating the head as there isn’t much meat anywhere else on an owl ...   then dropped it down ...   where I found it.   

8C2B9350-9EE0-43E5-AD23-EF7628094081.jpeg

A sad sight, CF.

According to the Barn Owl Trust, Buzzards do seem a likely culprit:

"Barn Owls do not have many enemies in the UK – but sometimes they are prey for another predator. Buzzards and goshawks have been known to eat Barn Owls – and a hungry fox will get lucky now & then. Very young, sick or injured owls are more likely to get eaten by a predator. A fallen owlet in a barn is in danger from farmyard cats – if it is healthy it needs to be put back in its nest as soon as possible. "

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

A sad sight, CF.

According to the Barn Owl Trust, Buzzards do seem a likely culprit:

"Barn Owls do not have many enemies in the UK – but sometimes they are prey for another predator. Buzzards and goshawks have been known to eat Barn Owls – and a hungry fox will get lucky now & then. Very young, sick or injured owls are more likely to get eaten by a predator. A fallen owlet in a barn is in danger from farmyard cats – if it is healthy it needs to be put back in its nest as soon as possible. "

Yes, that backs up my avian sleuthing !    I forgot the goshawk, as they are very very rare round here (I’ve never seen one) ...   and the sparrowhawk (female only as the male is too small) would eat them where they caught them as they couldn’t carry them off.  The feathers were in the centre of the field so unlikely that a fox would be able to sneak up.   Yep, all clues point to the buzzard !!!