Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

56 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Whats that little (or is it big ?..   hard to tell) ..   little beauty ? ...   squash ? ...   pumpkin ?    Either way you need to feel it to see if its ripe ...   I believe if its firm its good to go ..

28 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Nice one Bucey ...   that will last you a while ! ...   :thumbup:

Cheers. :)

We plant a variety of squashes each year, but this is the first time we've been successful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

@Buce ...    The question is matey are these good or bad to eat ? ...   they are about 6 inches across and there are quite a few of them.    Answer required please as I am not sure whether to cook them for me or the mother in law ..     

IMG_2564.JPG

Tbh, CF, with very few exceptions, I wouldn't even attempt to identify a fungus by sight alone; many edible fungi have similar looking poisonous varieties, and have to be identified by additional observations (ie. what they look like underneath; what colour they turn when peeled; what kind of stem they have; where they grow etc).

I suggest looking online at foraging sites, which will list things to look for:

http://www.wildmushroomsonline.co.uk/How-to-Identify-Wild-Mushrooms/index.php

http://www.mushroomdiary.co.uk/mushroom-identification/

http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/showthread.php?t=7617

Edit: Of course, the easiest way would be to test them on the mother-in-law first...

Edited by Buce

On 23/09/2017 at 11:14, Countryfox said:

Its nice to see Virginia creeping around at this time of year ...

IMG_2539.jpg

Beautiful. I've potted two either side of the front door, but obviously their growth over the last few years is limited. Planted one at the side to grow up the neighbours wall a year and a half ago and it has reached the soffiting already - (not sure of the legalities of this but at least unlike ivy they are easily removed). 

I knew someone that planted a Russian vine to piss off an aggressive neighbour before they moved out. Those things are evil - light the blue touch paper and retire immediately. 

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Georgian?

Yes or even possibly slightly earlier than that ...

18 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Beautiful. I've potted two either side of the front door, but obviously their growth over the last few years is limited. Planted one at the side to grow up the neighbours wall a year and a half ago and it has reached the soffiting already - (not sure of the legalities of this but at least unlike ivy they are easily removed). 

I knew someone that planted a Russian vine to piss off an aggressive neighbour before they moved out. Those things are evil - light the blue touch paper and retire immediately. 

Thanks ..   god knows how long it has been there ...   we also have Wisteria, which is just as beautiful but more fleeting, and a white magnolia growing on the house.

Never heard of a Russian vine ..   but I have now !   Sounds like a nasty bit of work ...   similar to a Putin vine ..   :) 

33 minutes ago, Buce said:

Tbh, CF, with very few exceptions, I wouldn't even attempt to identify a fungus by sight alone; many edible fungi have similar looking poisonous varieties, and have to be identified by additional observations (ie. what they look like underneath; what colour they turn when peeled; what kind of stem they have; where they grow etc).

I suggest looking online at foraging sites, which will list things to look for:

http://www.wildmushroomsonline.co.uk/How-to-Identify-Wild-Mushrooms/index.php

http://www.mushroomdiary.co.uk/mushroom-identification/

http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/showthread.php?t=7617

Edit: Of course, the easiest way would be to test them on the mother-in-law first...

My thoughts exactly Bucey !! ...    :thumbup:

17 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Yes or even possibly slightly earlier than that ...

My parents have a Georgian house albeit late George III and for my money there no finer houses as a style than original Georgian. Queen Anne is nice too. :D 

Don't forget that winter will soon be upon you and the native birds are finding food scarce.

Please go to the pet shop and buy a mesh and a bag of nuts for our feathered friends.

There is no finer sight on a winter's morning than a pair of tits around your nutbag.

Just remember however, it's a bit too late in the year to expect a swallow.

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Don't forget that winter will soon be upon you and the native birds are finding food scarce.

Please go to the pet shop and buy a mesh and a bag of nuts for our feathered friends.

There is no finer sight on a winter's morning than a pair of tits around your nutbag.

You just can’t help yourself, can you?

1 minute ago, Buce said:

You just can’t help yourself, can you?

Well no, seeing as I've been ostracised from the joke thread....

Far too much doom and gloom on this Forum at the moment. Forgive me for trying to bring some light heartedness to proceedings...

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Well no, seeing as I've been ostracised from the joke thread....

Far too much doom and gloom on this Forum at the moment. Forgive me for trying to bring some light heartedness to proceedings...

At least I now know what the safehouse is for...

7 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Pampas grass looking beautiful now ...   autumn is like spring mkII ...

IMG_2579.jpg

I read somewhere if you have pampas grass on your front lawn it means you're a swinger and you're signalling to like minded people?

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

I read somewhere if you have pampas grass on your front lawn it means you're a swinger and you're signalling to like minded people?

Well its the back lawn actually ...     not sure what that means ! ...      :o

And how do you know so much about it Webster ???   

On 1 October 2017 at 20:00, Izzy Muzzett said:

Actually saw a swallow yesterday"

Last of the grapes going over so we make grape juice out of them ...    nice and fresh and sweet with no additives ..  its one of those little treats at this time of year ...   we get about 11 bottles and everyone who trys it asks if they can have one ...

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...