Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
katieakita

Europa League

Utter humiliation - this is a team who had scored one goal in 13 European outings before tonight, shipping 41 in the process. They're not even particularly big hitters domestically, with a 36 year trophy drought even in one of Europe's weakest leagues and playing in Europe for only the second time since 1983.

Never mind a club from the SPL, losing to these would have been a poor result for a side from the Welsh Premier League.

49 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Utter humiliation - this is a team who had scored one goal in 13 European outings before tonight, shipping 41 in the process. They're not even particularly big hitters domestically, with a 36 year trophy drought even in one of Europe's weakest leagues and playing in Europe for only the second time since 1983.

Never mind a club from the SPL, losing to these would have been a poor result for a side from the Welsh Premier League.

36 year trophy drought in Luxembourg must be like a suicide bomber failing to pull in heaven. 

• Like 1

the result just shows how poor Scottish football is, yes I'm sure it's intense with passionate fans but the football is dire with teams not making any progress due to the overwhelming stranglehold on Scottish football by Celtic which not only makes the league look poor with most people disinterested but is also does not help Celtic when they are in Europe against better opposition!

They are laughable. They've spent close to £10M this summer and their best player is still an 84 year old Kenny Miller. Glentoran and Shamrock Rovers managed to thump this team they've lost to lol 

Paddy Power have already paid out on Celtic winning the league. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Worthington said:

Hilarious isn't it ? Bloody good job they didn't play Vaduz....Would have been a turkey shoot !

But Vaduz are from Liechtenstein!

British/Irish teams in contention in tomorrow's first round replays (first leg results in brackets):

Bale Town - FC Vaduz (1-2)

Midtjylland - Derry City (6-1)

Haugesund - Coleraine (7-0)

St. Johnstone - Trakai (1-2)

Crusaders - Liepaja (3-1)

Stjarnan - Shamrock Rovers (0-1)

ODD - Ballymena United (3-0)

Connah's Quay Nomads - HJK (1-0)

Levadia Tallinn - Cork City (0-2)

Lyngby - Bangor City (1-0)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Not sure Derry or Colraine are really in contention @MC Prussian. Oh and pre-apologies for being a pedantic little focker.

Regardless of the first leg result, a win for both teams would give each country valuable points in the UEFA rankings! :thumbup:

But yeah, I know what you mean. Thankless affair.

12 hours ago, Worthington said:

Might have quoted a different Luxembourg outfit, but they're all so exotically named I'd have tripped up over the spelling !! lol

I well remember the '60s when Jeunesse d'Esch...(bet that's wrong)...were Luxembourg's powerhouse outfit, and used to lose about 0-15 on aggregate in the Fairs Cup 1st round every year ! 

You've got it right. :)  Jeunesse Esch (without d') are one of the big teams in Lux, but I'm not sure we can used the word "Powerhouse" in Luxembourg.  (Esch, the second city in Lux, has always had a large Italian community, and Esch are kitted out like Juventus as a result).

I did a little research to see exactly were Progres Niederkorn were in the Luxembourg teams pecking order (historically speaking). Their 4th place last year was a one off, and not the norm.

I reckon they would make the top 10.. but only just! Maybe normally 9th or 10th best team in Lux.

It can't be overstated how bad a result this is for Rangers!

So Vaduz get relegated in Switzerland and get in to Europe for what? Winning some Lichtenstein cup?

Why can't Swansea win the Welsh cup and get in to Europe?

Not that I want that, just saying. Seems a bit daft. If you opt to play in Switzerland you should only get European football via Switzerland.

Edited by Finnegan

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

So Vaduz get relegated in Switzerland and get in to Europe for what? Winning some Lichtenstein cup?

Not that I want that, just saying. Seems a bit daft. If you opt to play in Switzerland you should only get European football via Switzerland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Vaduz

Vaduz is one of several expatriate European football clubs, including Swansea City and Cardiff City playing in the English Football League, AS Monaco playing in France, San Marino Calcio playing in Italy and some other minor clubs doing likewise in different leagues. The difference between Vaduz and the aforementioned clubs is that its status in Switzerland is a "guest club", and as such it does not participate in the Swiss Cup and cannot represent Switzerland internationally, which makes Champions League qualification from league football impossible under current rules other than by winning the Europa League or the Champions League itself. Since Vaduz has never won the Swiss league and therefore could not be argued to have qualified, such a situation has not occurred.

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

There's no Lichtenstein domestic league, whereas Wales of course does have one. It wasn't too long ago that teams Welsh teams were banned from entering that way though I think. 

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

All Liechtenstein sides participate in Swiss Leagues... Vaduz, Eschen/Mauren, Balzers, Schaan, etc.

Liechtenstein can't sustain a professional football league on its own due to its size, so playing "abroad" is the only viable option.

Besides, Liechtenstein and Switzerland have a long-lasting common history and share the same currency and similar license plates, for instance.

Just now, MC Prussian said:

All Liechtenstein sides participate in Swiss Leagues... Vaduz, Eschen/Mauren, Balzers, Schaan, etc.

Liechtenstein can't sustain a professional football league on its own due to its size, so playing "abroad" is the only viable option.

Besides, Liechtenstein and Switzerland have a long-lasting common history and share the same currency and similar license plates, for instance.

I don't have a problem with any of that.

I just don't get why they don't purely qualify for Europe through Switzerland.

I don't mean semantics, legal loop holes or anything else.

Do San Marino or Monaco qualify independently of Italy/France? 

FC Andorra don't get in to Europe do they? 

Just daft that a Lichtensteiner team do.

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I don't have a problem with any of that.

I just don't get why they don't purely qualify for Europe through Switzerland.

I don't mean semantics, legal loop holes or anything else.

Do San Marino or Monaco qualify independently of Italy/France? 

FC Andorra don't get in to Europe do they? 

Just daft that a Lichtensteiner team do.

It may be daft, but that's the way it is. There's just not that type of interest in football in Liechtenstein for them to organize their own league.

San Marino, however, have their own league - and Europa League-wise, Tre Penne are up against Rabotnicki (0-1 in the first leg), whilst Folgore/Falciano are facing Valletta (0-2).

Similar case with Andorra (20 teams in two leagues); two teams are involved in the EL qualifying stages.

Monaco only has one professional team to boast - the country is too small to support a proper league. Not enough space for training grounds and/or stadiums other than the Louis II.

Edited by MC Prussian

Not quite the looker.

Crusaders=out (due to the away goals rule)

St. Johnstone=out

Bala Town=out

Bangor City=out

Gap Connah's Quay=out

Coleraine=out

Derry City=out

Ballymena=likely out

Edited by MC Prussian

10 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Weird, I kept meaning to find an appropriate thread to ask you whether the (so I thought) Swiss team Vaduz were actually in Liechtenstein, as I think I saw them in the Liechtenstein cup or something lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...