Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Things you've learned today.

foreign drivers are absolutely terrible. Had about 3 separate instances where each driver had no idea about right of way or rules of the road. One instance took place at the junction/roundabout pictured below.

Earlier today I'm pretty much where the car is pictured leaving the roundabout in to the road. Just as I pass the zebra crossing, a van comes up on the right, down the wrong side of the road (luckily no other cars oncoming) and goes by the side of me and cuts me up to get in front of me. Crazy!

Capture.thumb.PNG.8dca19aea149bc1d2d09b9da9be36af1.PNG

15 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If someone drilled a hole from one side of the earth to the other and you fell down it, it would take 38 minutes to get to the other side.

Wouldn't you get stuck in the middle because of gravity?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

Wouldn't you get stuck in the middle because of gravity?

Would gravity not decrease because there is less mass between you and the core as you fall through, therefore given momentum and assuming no air resistance, you'd just carry on through? Surely you end up with a pendulum effect.

2 minutes ago, KingGTF said:

Would gravity not decrease because there is less mass between you and the core as you fall through, therefore given momentum and assuming no air resistance, you'd just carry on through? Surely you end up with a pendulum effect.

Ah, but if you account for air resistance and terminal velocity, the momentum you have when you pass the centre won't be nearly enough to carry you back to the surface so you'll fall back towards the middle and so on until you eventually come to a halt at the centre of the core.

The point is it wouldn't take you 38 minutes to get to the other side because you'd never reach it.  Oh and you'd probably die.

44 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If someone drilled a hole from one side of the earth to the other and you fell down it, it would take 38 minutes to get to the other side.

If someone... hmm

The Health and Safety Exec will be all over that, Webbo - I hope you covered your tracks.

8 hours ago, Webbo said:

7 hours ago, Webbo said:

None of you negative Nellies need bother coming round to my house for your free trip to Australia then.

Fyi. I just nailed a lid over that hole so....

10 hours ago, KingGTF said:

This theory needs to be tested properly. Who on here can get funding for such a project? I'll happily be the guinea pig that ends spinning around in perpituity at the centre of the earth. Who knows, we might even find a door to Satan!

11 hours ago, Webbo said:

I've looked at the responses to this post.  The one factor that everyone seems to have ignored is the fact that you can't drill a hole straight through the earth as although we sit on solid ground that's just a crust that sits on a molten core.  Ever tried drilling through liquid, especially molten iron?  Even if you were to survive the increase in temperature as you descended through the crust you would be ashes the moment you reached the core.

18 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

I've looked at the responses to this post.  The one factor that everyone seems to have ignored is the fact that you can't drill a hole straight through the earth as although we sit on solid ground that's just a crust that sits on a molten core.  Ever tried drilling through liquid, especially molten iron?  Even if you were to survive the increase in temperature as you descended through the crust you would be ashes the moment you reached the core.

I've thought about that. I'm taking a bucket of water with me.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Webbo said:

You'll never get planning permission for that.

26 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I've thought about that. I'm taking a bucket of water with me.

You'll never get through customs with that.