Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Al-aLondon-Foxile

Tom Lawrence

Just now, MattP said:

Very surprised, leaves us very short if Roma up the Mahrez bid.

Don't think he was getting anywhere near the first team to be honest. 

If we sell Riyad I assume we'll buy someone, which is why haven't we said that if he's going he needs to go now basically? 

Guest MattP
Just now, Finnegan said:

Don't think he was getting anywhere near the first team to be honest. 

If we sell Riyad I assume we'll buy someone, which is why haven't we said that if he's going he needs to go now basically? 

I think he would have been next in line after Gray so probably not at the minute but if Mahrez did go he would be first change then unless Musa is still ahead of him.

But yeah I'd imagine the plan is to buy someone.

9 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Have you lot seen his goals for Ipswich last season?

Some of them were worldies. He was having his own goal of the season competition.

oh well, bye Tom. Sorry we couldn't give you a chance this season (god knows why!)

Like I said, Ben Marshall number 2.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I think he would have been next in line after Gray so probably not at the minute but if Mahrez did go he would be first change then unless Musa is still ahead of him.

But yeah I'd imagine the plan is to buy someone.

Oh if we had no other options then yeah he'd have been somewhere in the queue. 

But if we thought he was good enough to feature in the first team regularly, we'd have known by now.

He could be a future star still, who knows. But Shakespeare doesn't see it right now or he'd be more involved. 

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Did you ever see Ben Marshall play? Being capable of banging in shots from distance means nothing.

We're aiming to be a top 10 premier league team, we have far better players than Lawrence and he's not going to play much. So he wants to leave, end of story. We're getting a good fee and good luck to the lad.

Who exactly do you think should be dropped to give him more game time?

I don't think we should drop anyone from our starting 11. I'd have liked to have seen him start on our bench, to come on as a sub, and be given a start in the cups.

1 minute ago, FoxinNotts said:

I don't think we should drop anyone from our starting 11. I'd have liked to have seen him start on our bench, to come on as a sub, and be given a start in the cups.

He wouldn't be my first choice LW impact sub, there's people ahead of him even on the bench imo. He wants to play regularly

5 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Problem is, we already have Gray on the bench covering the wingers slot. I don't really see the space for him when everyone is fit and ready.

28 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Have you lot seen his goals for Ipswich last season?

Some of them were worldies. He was having his own goal of the season competition.

oh well, bye Tom. Sorry we couldn't give you a chance this season (god knows why!)

Then we insist on a buy back clause around £16million if he turns out to be decent, like Ihenancho 

1 minute ago, weller54 said:

Shame he's going.. 

Think he's got big potential but we haven't given him a chance to prove it.. Same will probably happen with Barnes too.... 

Would rather play an enthusiastic /hungry Lawrence than a disinterested Mahrez! 

Barnes will be given his chance - Shakey and the coaches rate him very highly but he is not ready so a year in the Championship is viewed as the next step for his development.

TL is also rated but not willing to wait for 1st team experience which has to be admired but last year of his contract - been clear that he wants to play and Shakey cannot guarantee first team action as Gray and Mahrez are in front of him and better tbh! He will go and learn his trade at Derby but he was not the answer to any gaps for us and I am not sure he will make consistently for a top prem club which is what our aspirations are!!

I don't get it.  At times this club has me scratching my head.  We are desperately short of creativity. 

We have Mahrez who only turns up 20% of the time.  Gray who only plays 20% of the time (with questionable contribution) and Lawrence. Which one do we sell? 

I feel we might regret this one.

David Nugent (30 yrs old) - 60 goals in 180 apps over 4 seasons (5 in 29 in Premier League) sold to a Championship club for £4m.

Chris Wood (23 yrs old) - 20 goals in 60 apps over 2.5 seasons (1 in 7 in Premier League) sold to a Championship club for £3m.

Tom Lawrence (23 yrs old) - 0 goals in 4 apps over 4 seasons (all in Premier Leauge) sold to a Championship club for £7m.

Excellent bit of business IMO. He's not quite good enough for the first team and needs regular football, which he's not going to get with us and we're certainly not going to loan him to another PL club. This is the best solution for everyone, especially Tom. I wish him well.

Shame it hasn't worked out but with not long left on his contract probably right to cash in and only fair to let him go and play/settle somewhere. Some of his goals were unbelievable last year for Ipswich, but have to have faith in Shakey on this one. He's seen him all pre-season and clearly thinks we have or can get better players in. Man U felt the same before when we signed him for them. (no need to mention Pogba, Michael Keane etc)  Would have hoped someone other than Derby would have taken him though in the championship. And as mentioned by others amazing Ipswich wasn't all over this unless they are short of funds.

11 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

As I stated earlier. It's Championship clubs who want him. Says everything. Not yet ready or maybe never will be. Let the lad play elsewhere and hopefully he proves us wrong and makes the big time.

I agree - as long as we have a buy back or sell on clause in the fee from Derby !

10 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

As I stated earlier. It's Championship clubs who want him. Says everything. Not yet ready or maybe never will be. Let the lad play elsewhere and hopefully he proves us wrong and makes the big time.

Championship clubs are in for him because they know he will smash the league like he did last season.  At what point is a top 5% player in the Championship worth a run out in the prem?

I expect he will have a very good career, I just think he would have been worth a one year extension on his contract and some game time with us this season. 

16 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

What Premier League clubs are going to want him considering he's never played at the level before?

He looked quality in a poor Ipswich side last season. Best of luck to him. I hope he becomes a regular Premier League player.

Archived