Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Al-aLondon-Foxile

Tom Lawrence

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

What Premier League clubs are going to want him considering he's never played at the level before?

He looked quality in a poor Ipswich side last season. Best of luck to him. I hope he becomes a regular Premier League player.

As I say in my answer to MCF (above), I agree, as long as we have put a (decent) buy back or sell on clause in the agreement with Derby ! 

The sad part of this is that we couldn't get him to sign a new contract and then go on loan. Fair play to him, he was Ipswich's star player last year. Probably given him a taste for what this career can offer away from being a reserve or sub. I applaud his desire. 

Young British talent will never get the opportunity to progress in the premier league anymore, IMO. Our national sides will suffer, and are suffering. Sounds all abit dramatic, but it's  unfortunately true. Most (it seems) would rather sell the likes of Tom Lawrence and keep Musa or buy Townsend. I'd personally have Tom over both of these guys, and give him more game time.

9 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

What Premier League clubs are going to want him considering he's never played at the level before?

He looked quality in a poor Ipswich side last season. Best of luck to him. I hope he becomes a regular Premier League player.

Not with the sheep though.....

3 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Young British talent will never get the opportunity to progress in the premier league anymore, IMO. Our national sides will suffer, and are suffering. Sounds all abit dramatic, but it's  unfortunately true. Most (it seems) would rather sell the likes of Tom Lawrence and keep Musa or buy Townsend. I'd personally have Tom over both of these guys, and give him more game time.

Yeah i have to agree, the likes of Lawrence will never be risked at this level, shame really

23 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

I'd rather get rid of Musa too

For those wanting a buy back, anyone considered that he may not want it? Not really been given a chance here and something must have been said in preseason discussions to go from more involvement in those games to leaving 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Barnes out on loan, Kapustka out on loan, Lawrence off permanently, Musa soon to be off and possibly Mahrez. We really don't seem to fussed about wingers. It's all about 7 CM's and 5 strikers.

??

1 hour ago, bald reynard said:

As I say in my answer to MCF (above), I agree, as long as we have put a (decent) buy back or sell on clause in the agreement with Derby ! 

It's the final year of his contract. No chance of a buying team accepting significant clauses like that. We don't hold any cards in this scenario as he can just sign a pre contract agreement in 4 months if he doesn't go now. 

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

Tell Pochettino that, he's done it at both Spurs and Southampton very successfully. 

Given the right players around them and the right manager, the young English talent has enough to succeed in the Premier League providing they are broken in gradually. 

2 minutes ago, TaggertvsWise said:

Seen it before, Matthew Fryatt, Chris Wood, Knocky, Liam Moore and now Lawrence. Simply put, players find their level and we should be aiming higher if we want to be a proper top 10 club.

Beat me to it.

I was going to draw comparisons to Chris Wood myself. More than decent champ level player, not quite good enough for the prem.

£7mil is a decent deal all round, and I think it's right for the lad, and I genuinely hope he has a decent future elsewhere alike,

11 minutes ago, TaggertvsWise said:

Seen it before, Matthew Fryatt, Chris Wood, Knocky, Liam Moore and now Lawrence. Simply put, players find their level and we should be aiming higher if we want to be a proper top 10 club.

I agree completely, we've had him three years and he's 23 years of age. We've had a good look at him this summer and he's not better than what we have. Bottom line is we bought a player who turned out not quite good enough for the first team and still turned a profit on him.

Sooner or later we're going to have one come back and bite us on the arse but we've bought loads of players who weren't quite good enough for their clubs and flourished here but would have stagnated at their original clubs. Swings and roundabouts.

2 hours ago, nnfox said:

Championship clubs are in for him because they know he will smash the league like he did last season.  At what point is a top 5% player in the Championship worth a run out in the prem?

I expect he will have a very good career, I just think he would have been worth a one year extension on his contract and some game time with us this season. 

Do you really think he's not been offered that?

With a year left on his Contract, we didn't have a lot of bargaining power. I believe he was offered a new Contract but wants to play regularly, So he said he wanted to go rather than another loan. For whatever reason, it hasn't worked for him here.

he will go on to have a good career and I wish him well.  At least he's another profit for us.

3 hours ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

Cost 1m. Not played for us. Wages covered on loan. Sold for 7m. Good business.

I would imagine that we probably had to agree a sell on clause in the deal with Man Utd when we bought him. Therefore they're likely to be taking a percentage of the "undisclosed" transfer fee that we receive from Derby.

I think we've done alright to get 7m for a player who would have got 10 appearances max this season and would have left for free next year. Would really have been wasting another year here and it's probably telling that another PL team hasnt shown stronger interest.

Think the kid will probably need a season or two in the Championship before he makes the step up, by which I our recruitment should have identified better than Tom Lawrence.

1 hour ago, TaggertvsWise said:

Lawrence hasn't been given a chance here. He did everything he could to prove himself at Ipswich and did. 

Comparisons with them players are unfair because, aside from Fryatt, they all had a spell in the PL at one time or another.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Will be gone within the next week from what I gather. 

Ah, okay. Not bothered with that one, I'd welcome the move.

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Lawrence hasn't been given a chance here. He did everything he could to prove himself at Ipswich and did. 

Comparisons with them players are unfair because, aside from Fryatt, they all had a spell in the PL at one time or another.

He has a chance in training every single day to impress the people in charge. Three managers have decided he's not good enough.

Do people really think someone rips it up in training but the managers think "feck it, I'll play the fella who isn't performing instead".

Archived