Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Al-aLondon-Foxile

Tom Lawrence

He probably deserves pre-season to prove himself, but he only has a year left on his contract I think, so I'd be tempted to cash in. We might not 'need' the money, but £10m is not to be sniffed at - that almost covers Maguire's initial fee.

I've come round the view that the lad's an asset. nine goals, 11 assists, over 70% pass rate, average match rating over 7 and with his goals and assists made in around 500 minutes fewer than Drinky's one goal and two assists last season says a lot even in comparing Championship with Premiership.

As I've also said elsewhere he's versatile, having played in several attacking positions, and his goals were mainly the sort of selfish goals from distance that wouldn't have been scored by anyone else in our side and reflected not just a willingness to have a go but the ruthlessness coolness to hit the target.          

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/140887/Show/Tom-Lawrence

Seems like Derby hope to get for as little as £7m. Perhaps  we'd do better out of Ilkeston! :whistle:   

Got to play him or sell him.  I know we think of squad depth, but he needs to play for the first team and be good enough or sell for our and his sake so he can play.

4 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

This lad has (almost) literally never been given a chance with us.

It's football, it happens. If he never kicks a ball and we sell him for a profit he's been a roaring success despite playing about 4 times.

Why people want him gonna is beyond me. Looking at the success stories that the club had (a la mahrez and vardy) age and lower league performance shouldn't be a roadblock, especially considering that he's still 23.

I say if he has a good attitude and is ready to wait his time, then he should get a fair full season with the team to prove himself..

6 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

And this is why....

Those goals would be scored in the PL.  We haven't had a goal threat from outside the box like that for a very long time.  He is quick and creative.  If he can impress the manager and coaches that he deserves a place then he will get his chance. What I would like to see if he is going to take Albrighton's or Greys spot ( Marhrez on the right is guaranteed if he stays)'or possibly the Gylfi proposed role sitting in behind Vardy is his passing and crossing ability.

9 hours ago, Thracian said:

I've come round the view that the lad's an asset. nine goals, 11 assists, over 70% pass rate, average match rating over 7 and with his goals and assists made in around 500 minutes fewer than Drinky's one goal and two assists last season says a lot even in comparing Championship with Premiership.

As I've also said elsewhere he's versatile, having played in several attacking positions, and his goals were mainly the sort of selfish goals from distance that wouldn't have been scored by anyone else in our side and reflected not just a willingness to have a go but the ruthlessness coolness to hit the target.          

Seems like Derby hope to get for as little as £7m. Perhaps  we'd do better out of Ilkeston! :whistle:   

Not sure why you keep comparing him to Drinky, they play in totally different positions. Winger vs Centre Mid

You might want to rewatch the highlights from the 13/14 season again though, Drinky was a box to box goal threat then. 

Onto Lawrence, I'd like to see him given a chance, either cover for wing or could be cover for 10. Could be a good impact sub and squad player. Not sure he is first XI material yet but if Riyad does go, that busts it wide open with Gray and Lawrence to try and fill the spot before we go back to the market. 

2 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

Not sure why you keep comparing him to Drinky, they play in totally different positions. Winger vs Centre Mid

You might want to rewatch the highlights from the 13/14 season again though, Drinky was a box to box goal threat then. 

Onto Lawrencence, I'd like to see him given a chance, either cover for wing or could be cover for 10. Could be a good impact sub and squad player. Not sure he is first XI material yet but if Riyad does go, that busts it wide open with Gray and Lawrence to try and fill the spot before we go back to the market. 

The link I posted shows that Lawrence played in virtually every attacking midfield position including 10 games at centre forward and his goals video highlighted his liking for coming from deep positions and shooting from range - something Drinkwater occasionally does but with very little success.

Indeed his stats show that box-to-box or otherwise he's never been a goal threat since we arrived in The Premiership having scored just three goals in over 80 appearances which is actually quite lamentable for a player with his technique, skill, and involvement..     

Drinkwater doesn't make our team and wouldn't even make our squad as a goal threat. What he gives us is drive, determination, combativeness, availablility, and  an attitude  which demands the same from those around him. He also thread a decent pass or two though that aspect seemed to be diminishing last season as the weight of responsibility and been overplayed took its toll physically and mentally.    

In terms of goal threat Lawrence is way ahead, partly because, unlike Drinkwater who usually feeds others in such situations, when Lawrence gets any sight of goal he has a crack and often achieves the first and most important requirement of shooting on target.

I know he's a fans favourite but Danny will need to be right on top of his game to retain his place next season. It's a major weakness of ours that we score so infrequently from central midfield and there are already signs that Shakespeare is, quite rightly, looking to put this right.     

https://www.premierleague.com/players/3670/Daniel-Drinkwater/stats

8 hours ago, Hack said:

Those goals would be scored in the PL.  We haven't had a goal threat from outside the box like that for a very long time.  He is quick and creative.  If he can impress the manager and coaches that he deserves a place then he will get his chance. What I would like to see if he is going to take Albrighton's or Greys spot ( Marhrez on the right is guaranteed if he stays)'or possibly the Gylfi proposed role sitting in behind Vardy is his passing and crossing ability.

Wouldn't it be beautifully ironic if we kept him and he made Sigurdsson look like a pub player next season. lol

Please don't sell him. I know his contract is up next summer but he deserves a chance in a position we aren't blessed with options. Ok, Barnes might be being lined up to play left wing as backup but I still think there's room for Lawrence to try and make a name for himself.

The players we ought to be shifting are King or James, Mendy or Amartey, Ulloa and either Musa or Okazaki. 

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I am at a loss as to why we would sell the lad when he just had an excellent season in a tough league.  Loan him to a lower Prem team if we can else keep him around the squad and see what he can do.

I think he's only got a year left on his contract, it's highly debatable as to whether he'd even accept a new offer, if he won't then you have to cash in.

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I am at a loss as to why we would sell the lad when he just had an excellent season in a tough league.  Loan him to a lower Prem team if we can else keep him around the squad and see what he can do.

At this stage, we don't know that there will be a lower one....just sayin'

8 hours ago, Hack said:

He certainly looks like an exciting player - but some of the defending and especially goalkeeping on display in that video is woeful. 

Looks like he's got enough about him to be given a chance though, especially when we're crying out for a creative player. 

Archived