Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Al-aLondon-Foxile

Tom Lawrence

On 19/07/2017 at 22:32, kyleolly said:

He's not good enough for us he's never going to get a game centrally we're very top heavy lol

Very much agree with this after the bits an pieces, I seen today would rather of seen Barnes get a run out, he can play in a few positions, an looked composed under Dior circumstances in Porto.

Don't know why after today people are saying he isn't good enough. He was our only creative player in the second half, put a good ball into Vardy when he was slightly offside and put in a amazing cross that really should have been buried by Ulloa. He is also alot more confident on the ball. I remember 2 seasons ago when we played Mansfield in a friendly he didn't seem to want the ball and was too afraid of making mistakes. Against West Brom and today he ran at defenses, wasn't afraid to take players on yet also knew when to lay the ball off and was decent enough at tracking back.

10 minutes ago, TheMightySystem said:

Don't know why after today people are saying he isn't good enough. He was our only creative player in the second half, put a good ball into Vardy when he was slightly offside and put in a amazing cross that really should have been buried by Ulloa. He is also alot more confident on the ball. I remember 2 seasons ago when we played Mansfield in a friendly he didn't seem to want the ball and was too afraid of making mistakes. Against West Brom and today he ran at defenses, wasn't afraid to take players on yet also knew when to lay the ball off and was decent enough at tracking back.

I agree he has something about him and with a team lacking creativity it would be foolish to sell him now especially if Mahrez goes

We brought him in a couple of years ago as one for the future.  We put him out on loan last season for him to develop and by all accounts, had an excellent season.  I'm not sure what else the lad is supposed to do.  

Football fans up and down the country love to see young home grown talent given a chance.  Not here!  Two games into pre-season and some people are trying to off load him!

I liked Lawrence's performance against Liverpool, he was the only fringe player substitute that made a positive impression. Kingy and Ulloa were pretty woefull (sad to say) , at least Lawrence was willing to run at players and seek to create opportunities. I would give him a chance in the next friendly to play his game so we can see if he impress further and  win a new contract and a chance to become a valuable part of our squad. He looked like he has progressed as a player and certainly I would have more interest in seeing him given a chance than King who is basically stealing a living at this level now.

I assume he is about to enter the last year of his contract

therefore we either cash in as best we can or offer him a new deal. Letting him go for nothing in a year will be poor although his advisors may tell him this is the best option - if he refuses to sign a new contract then we should obviously try and get him out on a loan deal to try and get something in for him. Otherwise he is a drain on finances for his last year here and is unlikely to feature much in return. 

I expect to see plenty of him over the rest of pre season as shakey decides whether he is worth a big enough deal to make him want to stay 

10 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

Very much agree with this after the bits an pieces, I seen today would rather of seen Barnes get a run out, he can play in a few positions, an looked composed under Dior circumstances in Porto.

Dior circumstances? He smelt nice too....

He was trying to hard to impress yesterday imo - and made a couple of silly mistakes because of it. But he did get himself into positions to make those mistakes, which is why his performance is much more obvious to fans on here than someone that was quiet but played without mistakes.

The guy still needs refining, building in confidence and experience at the top level, but I think he'd be useful to have in and around our current squad.

3 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

He was trying to hard to impress yesterday imo - and made a couple of silly mistakes because of it. But he did get himself into positions to make those mistakes, which is why his performance is much more obvious to fans on here than someone that was quiet but played without mistakes.

The guy still needs refining, building in confidence and experience at the top level, but I think he'd be useful to have in and around our current squad.

Spot on. Also, if you ask any Ipswich fan about Tom, they love him. It seems they wanted to sign him/keep him, in a similar way to how we feel about Mahrez.

50 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Dior circumstances? He smelt nice too....

Apologies for spelling, for a young lad to come on under those circumstances, an looked composed, I'd probably imagine he smelt alright, as he looked relaxed, not like he was shitting himself.

3 hours ago, FoxonMaui said:

I liked Lawrence's performance against Liverpool, he was the only fringe player substitute that made a positive impression. Kingy and Ulloa were pretty woefull (sad to say) , at least Lawrence was willing to run at players and seek to create opportunities. I would give him a chance in the next friendly to play his game so we can see if he impress further and  win a new contract and a chance to become a valuable part of our squad. He looked like he has progressed as a player and certainly I would have more interest in seeing him given a chance than King who is basically stealing a living at this level now.

I liked the look of James, whether you class him as fringe, he certainly won't start the season, so I might be inclined to class him as fringe.

So the guy goes on loan to develop, does very well at Ipswich, comes back and shows some nice touches and a desire to work hard and impress in the minutes he gets in two games... And some on here say he's not good enough already for us this season?

We need to give him a chance. He will feature in the Wales team in future and for me he offers us more now as an 'investment' for the future than Ulloa or King especially if we get Iheanacho in. The ball to Leo was superb but the chance wasn't taken... 

47 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

Apologies for spelling, for a young lad to come on under those circumstances, an looked composed, I'd probably imagine he smelt alright, as he looked relaxed, not like he was shitting himself.

Never apologise for anything on here!  

49 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

I liked the look of James, whether you class him as fringe, he certainly won't start the season, so I might be inclined to class him as fringe.

James may surprise a few including his best pal Drinky.....he is very highly thought of by Shakey and I would not bet against him being in the team at the Emirates! TL is a prospect and in a similar boat to Gray, Chilwell although not as tested in the prem but the step to secure a starting spot consistently will be a stretch for all 3 imo. ITFC fans may have loved TL but they are truly average and he was the only quality creative player in their team in the Championship and the gulf is huge!!

7 hours ago, Old Fox said:

James may surprise a few including his best pal Drinky.....he is very highly thought of by Shakey and I would not bet against him being in the team at the Emirates! TL is a prospect and in a similar boat to Gray, Chilwell although not as tested in the prem but the step to secure a starting spot consistently will be a stretch for all 3 imo. ITFC fans may have loved TL but they are truly average and he was the only quality creative player in their team in the Championship and the gulf is huge!!

7 hours ago, Old Fox said:

Both James and Lawrence deserve the chance to show their abilities,competitiveness and capability to form part of the first team squad. I am sure Shakey and his team have a view but they are looking to see how each stands up to the pressure of games.

10 minutes ago, dedlock said:

Both James and Lawrence deserve the chance to show their abilities,competitiveness and capability to form part of the first team squad. I am sure Shakey and his team have a view but they are looking to see how each stands up to the pressure of games.

Top level professional sport is not the place to be handing out chances.  Why don't we put Hamer in goal at the Emirates to give him a chance to prove his worth, and stick Choidhury in ahead of Ndidi to see what he offers.  Neither Lawrence nor James are owed a chance.  Premier League football is not a charity.

6 minutes ago, chicagofox said:

Top level professional sport is not the place to be handing out chances.  Why don't we put Hamer in goal at the Emirates to give him a chance to prove his worth, and stick Choidhury in ahead of Ndidi to see what he offers.  Neither Lawrence nor James are owed a chance.  Premier League football is not a charity.

I am not suggesting that. Each spent part of last season on loan,Lawrence to develop,James for rehabilitation.

They each have an opportunity,pre-season to show whether they can hold down a squad place in the coming season. They are each contracted to City. Why not use te players we have if they are fit and up to the task ahead?

16 minutes ago, chicagofox said:

Shakey & the coaches will determine who gets a chance based on what they see in training & exhibition games. They understand the benefits of having a look before making decisions 

Archived