Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Matty James to ......?

6 hours ago, chicagofox said:

So because I think a player is not good enough for our squad you'd rather I supported another team and I am somehow tainting our club?  How does that work?

Back in the day I didn't think Junior Lewis was good enough to play for us.  Should I have switched allegiance to another club then?  Do I have to think that every player in our squad is of first-team quality to support Leicester City?

PS, not that it's relevant but just for point of fact; I'm not American, I do watch baseball and thoroughly enjoy it, I've never watched rodeo, and I have no idea what sawccer is.

Alright apologies for the overreaction and offensive remarks. But I am still a bit disgusted that you don't think a loyal player that was a key factor in getting us to the PL and staying there, and has shown a huge amount of heart and determination to come back from an awful injury deserves a chance to play for us again. No idea why people like you disrespect James who was one of our stand out players during NPs hugely successful time here

Why are there comparisons to Drinkwater ffs.

If you're not playing (ie James) you cannot develop. You may get worse as a footballer, you may not.

Drinkwater played consistently (whether he played there instead of James who knows - who knows who would have partnered Kante that season) therefore developed as a player. He was poor for the majority of last season just like most of our players - well, up until about November/December Drinkwater was our most consistent player alongside Kasper.

Prior to James' injury, Drinkwater featured as much as James did - I think James played about three games more during our great escape season so I don't get where this "James was better anyway" stuff has come from. 

Why does everything have to turn into a 'oh A is better than B'. Both players have served us well and both players deserve another crack in the Premier League. But it'll be interesting to see what we do with many midfielders to choose from now. 

On 15/07/2017 at 20:56, fox_favourite said:

Though I do agree with your 1st statement about stats, the rest is very harsh on James. The 1st season he played ahead of Drinky and did really well in our 1st season in the Prem and deserves a chance to play in the midfield again.

We dominated the midfield in our journey to the Championship because Drinky and James had a great understanding and just knew how to play together. Sometimes it was like they were telepathic, maybe of use at some point in the league.

Also, from what I read and have seen from clips from his Barnsley stint he is certainly more than just a "good championship player". 

We didn't do very well in our first Premiership season up to the Great Escape. From October 18 through to April it was virtually all defeats and draws. Kingy added much during the Great Escape period - as he quietly does so often. 

This is not a criticism of anyone. Shakespeare should pick who he thinks is most suited just as he will have to choose who stays and goes. And that's not always as simple as deciding who's the best footballer but who fits into our approach best and who can be most relied on under pressure. A major injury puts a big question mark against the question of reliability. But then all three of James, Drinkwater and King seem to have suffered injury problems, suggesting none of them should be overplayed. .

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Why are there comparisons to Drinkwater ffs.

If you're not playing (ie James) you cannot develop. You may get worse as a footballer, you may not.

Drinkwater played consistently (whether he played there instead of James who knows - who knows who would have partnered Kante that season) therefore developed as a player. He was poor for the majority of last season just like most of our players - well, up until about November/December Drinkwater was our most consistent player alongside Kasper.

Prior to James' injury, Drinkwater featured as much as James did - I think James played about three games more during our great escape season so I don't get where this "James was better anyway" stuff has come from. 

Why does everything have to turn into a 'oh A is better than B'. Both players have served us well and both players deserve another crack in the Premier League. But it'll be interesting to see what we do with many midfielders to choose from now. 

I listed all the stats from that season about a page or two back. It was very close. Drinky started the season when we actually ok but then got dropped when we started the poor run. Jamo played in a few of the great escape games but wasn't actually that good and then got his really back injury (again, I linked to this in my last post). 

Onto to comparing them as plsyers, weirdly, in the promotion season they were not that much alike and Drinky was a dynamic box to box goal scorer but has seemingly evolved into more of a deeper lying (lower rent) version of Pirlo, which is actually more Jamo's style too. Maybe he is less mobile now he's put on all that muscle, or maybe the coaching staff said to him that he should consider that style as he has such a good range of passing. I think that happened during the first season in the Prem, and he struggled to adapt to the transition that season but obviously it took of the title winning year (Kante to do some of his running to probably helped), as well as the start of last season when he was our best player. 

Let's see how Jamo does in preseason, and how we start to set up. He's obviously a hugely popular character in the squad, happy to be there (not pushing for a move), and probably on a relatively low contract. I'd say keep him for strength in depth, and maybe he kicks on with some games or being involved in training, and we as a club benefit. 

James deserves the chance to show where he is in the midfield 'pecking order'.

I suspect Iborra will surprise,a quality acquisition. DD and Ndidi will have serious competition for a starting place.

If he shows he is deserving of a place in the squad Matty may have to be content with that and a place on the bench.

James' competition is very high to get into the team. Drinkwater, N'Didi, Iborra, King, Barnes, Amartey and possibly Mendy will possibly all be in front of him at the current time. I say though it is too early to sell. Play him in the friendlies and the early rounds of the cup to see how he is.

14 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Alright apologies for the overreaction and offensive remarks. But I am still a bit disgusted that you don't think a loyal player that was a key factor in getting us to the PL and staying there, and has shown a huge amount of heart and determination to come back from an awful injury deserves a chance to play for us again. No idea why people like you disrespect James who was one of our stand out players during NPs hugely successful time here

In his defense some people made the step up and others haven't. For example it could be argued that Andy king is much less likely to feature this season.

sometimes we just move on from people. No shame in that. Not saying that's happened to Matty necessarily but I don't get all this disgust for an opinion...

47 minutes ago, dormelcfc said:

James' competition is very high to get into the team. Drinkwater, N'Didi, Iborra, King, Barnes, Amartey and possibly Mendy will possibly all be in front of him at the current time. I say though it is too early to sell. Play him in the friendlies and the early rounds of the cup to see how he is.

Some of those players may be ahead of him at the moment, but he is the only one Shakey has seen play well in the Prem. As we are reportedly looking to move Mendy and Amartey (mistake IMO, but what do I know), as Barnes has no Prem experience (and has become much more of a fwd, they play diff roles in the MF now, don't they? Barnes has become more of a Demari Gray type, I thought) and as King is King, have to think he is closer to 4th on that list than 8th.

13 hours ago, dedlock said:

James deserves the chance to show where he is in the midfield 'pecking order'.

I suspect Iborra will surprise,a quality acquisition. DD and Ndidi will have serious competition for a starting place.

If he shows he is deserving of a place in the squad Matty may have to be content with that and a place on the bench.

I'm losing count of the number of players who "deserve a chance". Leicester City is not some charitable enterprise or a football team so brilliant they can put a player or two in each week just to satisfy some need to be fair to them.

Shakespeare should know exactly how fit and capable all his first team squad and fringe players are from the training ground. He shouldn't need to give "a chance" to anyone and what is "a chance" in any case. Half a game? A whole game? What would that prove?

Times people have called for people like Gray, Kramaric, Kapustka, Musa, Inler et al to be given "a chance" and then "another chance" and so on. But each and every one of those players have (or had) already been given chances.   How many chances equates to being fair? 

Of course players can improve - either their effort, their attitude, their personal circumstances and their performance on the field but this will be noticed on the training ground first...and consistently over a period of time.

Our first team isn't a stage for "trialists" or "chance" taking. The manager needs to believe that every player he chooses to wear a first team shirt is capable of coping and likely to be an asset beforehand.

If he can't say that, what's the point in picking someone?.

James may well satisfy the criteria and I hope he does as, indeed,  I hope everyone does.

But the evidence will be first seen in training and if it's not there in training it won't be there in a game situation for very long.                    

Shakespeare should know exactly who merits selection and a place in our squad.

6 hours ago, Thracian said:

I'm losing count of the number of players who "deserve a chance". Leicester City is not some charitable enterprise or a football team so brilliant they can put a player or two in each week just to satisfy some need to be fair to them.

Shakespeare should know exactly how fit and capable all his first team squad and fringe players are from the training ground. He shouldn't need to give "a chance" to anyone and what is "a chance" in any case. Half a game? A whole game? What would that prove?

Times people have called for people like Gray, Kramaric, Kapustka, Musa, Inler et al to be given "a chance" and then "another chance" and so on. But each and every one of those players have (or had) already been given chances.   How many chances equates to being fair? 

Of course players can improve - either their effort, their attitude, their personal circumstances and their performance on the field but this will be noticed on the training ground first...and consistently over a period of time.

Our first team isn't a stage for "trialists" or "chance" taking. The manager needs to believe that every player he chooses to wear a first team shirt is capable of coping and likely to be an asset beforehand.

James may well satisfy the criteria and I hope he does as, indeed,  I hope everyone does.

But the evidence will be first seen in training and if it's not there in training it won't be there in a game situation for very long.                    

No one knows what James is capable of more than Shakey, it's not like he's a new manager who's not seen him play for us.

If Shakey thinks he's got something to offer & is worthy of a 'chance', he'll get it

Agree totally with content & sentiment of your post

8 hours ago, Thracian said:

Completely agree. Neither is the Premiership. Pound for pound it's the roughest and toughest division on the planet where, on their day, any team can beat another. 'Chances' are few and far between. Players have to hit the ground running or you find yourself on the was end of a drubbin. Look at us last season for instance.

I'm also dubious about this concept of having 'earned' a chance. Well how? Do you mean in training? Ie showed enough in training to warrant a place? Just because a player is young, doesn't mean they've 'earned' a place in the team.

On 7/17/2017 at 07:28, Thracian said:

Finally someone who speaks complete sense.

We used to hang on to dead wood in the hopes that one day they would come good but absolutely right in terms of "giving players a chance" perform in training and they will be given their shot, fail to seize that and tough... we aren't a charity.

That said I would like to see us offload Andy King more than Matty James.

8 minutes ago, DrezZone said:

Drinkwater off. James on. Simple.

We're going to need both this season. Both very good prem players and could easily play for England - together.

Hopefully we'll see what Shakespeares been employed to do.

Manage, it's his shout and these are the decisions he's paid to make.

It doesn't matter what we think.

On what I've seen though..............Keep to compete   :thumbup:

22 minutes ago, FIF said:

We're going to need both this season. Both very good prem players and could easily play for England - together.

You're too much mate.  Come on, stop it please.  Save this stuff for your standup routine.  James play for England, Christ I know they're sh!t but come on.  Suggesting he is a very good Prem player was stretching reality far enough.  Thanks for the laughs tho'.

Archived