Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Acid attacks

1 hour ago, Kitchandro said:

How? There's a knife in everyone's home.

Aye but how well maintained are most people's knives?  I'd wager the average persons kitchen knife is good for little more than threatening people and poorly chopped onions.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

No idea? The world is insane.

In some ways we've washed our hands of effectively dealing with clearly dangerous or criminally insane people who have so often been convicted of committing violent crimes which then get progressively worse.

There was an example in the Mercury this week of a guy who should clearly never have been on the streets to commit his latest crime when considering his antecedent history. 

Even his latest lengthy sentence will likely end up halved which means the guy may well have decades of opportunity to create still more and worse misery.  

Yet we neither deal with our own wackos with proper regard to the safety of others, but we wilfully import still more.

It's irresponsible  But that makes no difference and a good portion of the nation - whether due to vested interest or just being a misguided liberal - say  "carry on" no matter what the consequences and in the ironically blind belief they're doing good .

If "Health and Safety" had the last say on the serious risks posed by peoples actions and dangerously adverse influence, the free population would be decimated.  

I agree with others who say responsibility starts at home and through the formative years of education where standards should be set and problems identified early.

Trouble is, some leadership (radical idealism/power-seeking) and some influences (drugs, criminal associates, imparted sense of victimhood) serve only to steadily fan the flames of unbalance and insanity.

Just check out any seriously violent action and you will find the influences I've mentioned to have played a significant role. Yet we don't do nearly enough to negate these influences.                

should carry life sentences. The fact it can mentally and physically scar someone for their rest of their life because of the trauma caused and for someone to eventually be let back out on the streets is despicable. 

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I can never get my head around this tbf. I know what you're saying, but it's not a world I'VE created. For me, schools have become too lax in their discipline, parents have become utterly ridiculous with their kids and the criminal justice system is just too soft.

Ive not caused this. It's been caused by liberal lefties hasn't it? The quest for a risk-free, completely politically correct, health and safety driven world is what has caused this isn't it?

The problem is, I can never see it changing back. The system reproduces itself with no one seemingly having any power to halt it. It's like it's own entity.... not being able to say certain things for fear of retribution, not being able to exercise any discipline for fear of complaint and having to be so careful regarding who can sue who, for what.

Its hardly surprising kids don't know the rules is it. Because, quite frankly, what are the rules?

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

It's the world our society has created, and you and me, are part of that society. The problem with liberal lefties is that they can't understand that not everyone likes each other and there is an order to everything.  When i was at school, which is where i think most of your respect for other people comes from as you learn from your peers and teachers through discipline, if you did something wrong, morally wrong, you got the cane or detention or the threat of being expelled, if you acted a twat, you'd get a kicking from an older lad, so you learnt respect. Now, it seems, teachers cannot touch kids and "bullying" has been removed from schools so there is no-one to keep young lads in check. 

Oh fvck off making this about party politics you pair of nobs. I could quite as easily write a diatribe about how divisive right leaning politics breeds resentment and actions caused by resentment, but I'm not going to because that's not the fvcking point and that is not fact in any case.

Our current society is the result of constant development and is in a constant state of flux. It is the result of actions tracing back years and years, and that includes Labour governments, Tory governments, coalitions and hung parliaments. Our society is the result of people within it and the powers that be. This is not a world either of you have created but it is not a world I have created either. It is a world EVERYONE has created.

The blame for this lies with the sick individuals who did it, not the left. 

If these freaks are caught and prosecuted the punishment will not be enough to deter others. Prison sentences and overall punishments in this country are a joke and if anything are an insentive to commit crimes 

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Should be treated like any other attack with a weapon. Both will ruin people's life.

Not really true.

There is good chance of recovering to live a normal life from assaults with most weapons, up to and including being shot; acid will maim, disfigure, and probably blind in most cases. It terms of its heinousness, it's pretty much out on its own.

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Aye but how well maintained are most people's knives?  I'd wager the average persons kitchen knife is good for little more than threatening people and poorly chopped onions.

Trouble is that if someone comes running at me with a knife that's as blunt as owt I'm still gonna shit myself.

8 minutes ago, Buce said:

Not really, true.

There is good chance of recovering to live a normal life from assaults with most weapons, up to and including being shot; acid will maim, disfigure, and probably blind in most cases. It terms of its heinousness, it's pretty much out on its own.

Totally agree. They're generally carried out on people that are very good looking too. A lot of models have acid thrown at them by jealous exes. So it's a career ruined in a lot of cases.

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Totally agree. They're generally carried out on people that are very good looking too. A lot of models have acid thrown at them by jealous exes. So it's a career ruined in a lot of cases.

so glad I'm not :D 

32 minutes ago, StanSP said:

should carry life sentences. The fact it can mentally and physically scar someone for their rest of their life because of the trauma caused and for someone to eventually be let back out on the streets is despicable. 

Was thinking this when seeing the news this morning. Upgrade an acid attack from GBH to something in its own right and have it carry a mandatory sentence of 30+ years at least (I only say 30+ years because life would unlikely, I'd welcome it though) It might not deter the maniacs who insist on committing such a grotesque crime, but it'll ensure they're kept off the streets for as long as possible.

It must be a horrifying thing to happen to someone.

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Depends on the kitchen knife to some extent, but it's very easy to kill someone with a knife if you know where to put it.    

37 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Depends on the kitchen knife to some extent, but it's very easy to kill someone with a knife if you know where to put it.    

In the cutlery drawer? :unsure:

10 minutes ago, James. said:

Sinister

Reminds me of Peter Jackson talking to Christopher Lee about the scene in Lord of The Rings where Saruman gets killed. Jackson told him about the sound he thought a man made when he was stabbed in the back; Lee then disagreed, saying that he knew the exact sound a man makes when he's stabbed in the back. :blink:

5 hours ago, Innovindil said:

The fact that's it starting from a ridiculously young age is the most worrying thing. My sister-in-law works a nursery, a boy decided to get angry over toys and punch another kid (not sure if it was a boy or girl, doesn't matter tbf) so she told him off, told him he wasn't supposed to do that because it was mean. Naturally kid starts crying, he tells his mommy what the "nasty" person said to him at finishing time, mum goes mad and starts yelling at my sister-in-law telling her she doesn't have the right to tell her kid off and he can do what he wants he's just a kid etc etc

Glad I don't work in that job, I'd be locked up before you could say "peedo" :nigel:

6 minutes ago, Thracian said:

And that's why the military are trained to use them but if you go back to Kitch's comment that I was responding to the point here isn't how easily Thracian can slice a man to death if given the opportunity.  You can start a new thread if that's what you want to talk about. :D 

The point is that Kitch suggested kitchen knives are a readily available source of weaponry for kids and I simply suggested that the idea has less potential than you'd assume:  Just because you can damage some vegetables with a blunt edge you shouldn't expect the same luck with a struggling human regardless of how familiar you are with combat techniques.  I've chopped carrots and swedes with knives that just bounce off the skin when they slip and make finger contact (the slippage also being a result of the knife's poor edge). And as you say that's presuming the assailant even knows where to put it.  We're also assuming that mum and dad aren't going to notice their blades going missing and bollock the little shit.  If I'm a teenager going out to maim people I'd take steps to prevent my parents (and anyone else, really) finding out.

As an aside, in the right hands a proper steak knife like this one would be a good candidate with its sharp serrations and easy concealment... but again it's the question of how many homes even have one - more and more people use the more modern shaped ones with safer, lower profile serrations like the one in this picture if they even have steak knives at all.

Throwing a liquid in someone's general direction is a whole lot more foolproof and, like we discussed in the guns debate, requires a lower level of commitment to the act making it more appealing to would-be ne'er-do-wells.  Less likely to get incriminating blood all over your hands and clothes too.  God knows where these people are getting all this acid from though.  It's far easier for your average Joe to cause damage with acid but Kitch's point does hold merit with regards to ease of obtention.

12 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

And that's why the military are trained to use them but if you go back to Kitch's comment that I was responding to the point here isn't how easily Thracian can slice a man to death if given the opportunity.  You can start a new thread if that's what you want to talk about. :D 

The point is that Kitch suggested kitchen knives are a readily available source of weaponry for kids and I simply suggested that the idea has less potential than you'd assume:  Just because you can damage some vegetables with a blunt edge you shouldn't expect the same luck with a struggling human regardless of how familiar you are with combat techniques.  I've chopped carrots and swedes with knives that just bounce off the skin when they slip and make finger contact (the slippage also being a result of the knife's poor edge). And as you say that's presuming the assailant even knows where to put it.  We're also assuming that mum and dad aren't going to notice their blades going missing and bollock the little shit.  If I'm a teenager going out to maim people I'd take steps to prevent my parents (and anyone else, really) finding out.

As an aside, in the right hands a proper steak knife like this one would be a good candidate with its sharp serrations and easy concealment... but again it's the question of how many homes even have one - more and more people use the more modern shaped ones with safer, lower profile serrations like the one in this picture if they even have steak knives at all.

Throwing a liquid in someone's general direction is a whole lot more foolproof and, like we discussed in the guns debate, requires a lower level of commitment to the act making it more appealing to would-be ne'er-do-wells.  Less likely to get incriminating blood all over your hands and clothes too.  God knows where these people are getting all this acid from though.  It's far easier for your average Joe to cause damage with acid but Kitch's point does hold merit with regards to ease of obtention.

Old car batteries, I'd guess.

Edit: I've just seen that you can buy a litre of sulphuric acid for under a tenner on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sulphuric+acid&sprefix=sulphuric%2Caps%2C159&crid=CLY08BXIVE56

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Oh fvck off making this about party politics you pair of nobs. I could quite as easily write a diatribe about how divisive right leaning politics breeds resentment and actions caused by resentment, but I'm not going to because that's not the fvcking point and that is not fact in any case.

Our current society is the result of constant development and is in a constant state of flux. It is the result of actions tracing back years and years, and that includes Labour governments, Tory governments, coalitions and hung parliaments. Our society is the result of people within it and the powers that be. This is not a world either of you have created but it is not a world I have created either. It is a world EVERYONE has created.

The blame for this lies with the sick individuals who did it, not the left. 

I've genuinely often found that the anger shown by liberal lefties when one suggests that liberal leftism may be a cause of contemporary societal issues flies in the face of the loving, humanitarian traits they they claim to expouse. Here, it would appear, is an example. A post whereby a fellow poster seemingly would like to rip another's head off

lol

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I've genuinely often found that the anger shown by liberal lefties when one suggests that liberal leftism may be a cause of contemporary societal issues flies in the face of the loving, humanitarian traits they they claim to expouse. Here, it would appear, is an example. A post whereby a fellow poster seemingly would like to rip another's head off

lol

So...just to clarify here...you do think this is a party political issue and that the current supposed malaise in society would be better addressed with a more authoritarian mindset all round?

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

Zero consequences for younger kids, that's a big problem. Schools can't do anything about bad behaviour, police can't do anything ....

I remember taking the law into my own hands when some young lad was bullying another even younger lad...   the bully was about 10 or 11 I think ....     I tied him to a tree and left him there and he wasn't found till late that night ...    he'd been tied up for over 6 hours and was very upset to put it mildly.   I recall the police were involved and I feared serious repercussions.     I was given a right good telling off and felt pretty sorry for myself ...    ultimately however no charges were made against me.        Mind you I was only 9 at the time.

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

most would probably go in you, a bit 

The way people claim this kind of stuff is liberal lefties' fault you'd think they (whoever they are) had been in power for decades on end.

A cvnt would throw acid in someone's face whether Eddie Izzard or Paul Golding was Prime Minister. They do it because they're cvnts, not because they've been allowed to.

Edit: Plus, massive lol at the idea that the quest for a "health and safety driven world" has led to some bellend carrying fvcking acid on the streets of London.

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

The way people claim this kind of stuff is liberal lefties' fault you'd think they (whoever they are) had been in power for decades on end.

A cvnt would throw acid in someone's face whether Eddie Izzard or Paul Golding was Prime Minister. They do it because they're cvnts, not because they've been allowed to.

I don't know anyone who's not in teaching or law enforcement that doesn't say kids are getting far worse, there is a serious decline in respect and a huge upturn in "you can't touch me" attitude. Of course, a c**** a c**** and some will always be so no matter how hard they are punished. But I think it's naive to think it doesn't have an affect down the line.

It's not the only reason, but just another thing in a long line of reasons. From desensitisation, through film, tv, video games, internet. Glamorisation of gang culture in music and all those things listed before. Increase in drink and drug binging... you could list a load of stuff.

The knife vs acid argument is more than just readily available. It's about the logistics of doing the deed.

Wheeling up next to someone on your scoot and chucking acid at them is a lot less personal, lot less physical, a lot less risky in terms of a fight back and involves a lot less stomach to actually do.

Going and repeatedly plunging a knife in to someone, I would speculate, takes a lot more mental preparation. 

Archived