Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

BBC Salaries Published (and general rants about the licence fee)

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, Simi said:

Good point. Where is Sir David on this list?

He's paid by the company that makes Planet Earth and then sells it to the BBC.

Imagine that's also why Portillo isn't on the list.

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Blimey, not only is The One Show's Alex Jones played by a woman, it's a woman getting paid over £400 grand!

I could be Alex Jones for a fraction of that

But will you ever be Welsh enough.

Consider carefully.

When you consider how much people pay each year to watch Sky (yes, I know, loads more channels, but how many do you actually watch?) and still have adverts, the Beeb is very good value.

Fine for no licence was £100. about 4 years ago.

Beeb has a very good in fact huge income stream from selling their programme on to other broadcasters home and abroad just like loads of other independents.There are tons of channels without public money.

A lot of the money goes to the regional stuff world news local radio (stringer!) foriegn service almost government based stuff.

If you take for example doctor who or a top gear series that will make a small fortune outside of any other income .

Few sponsors and a new business model and it could be done .Just imagine a business where you can sit down with hundreds of millions on the table and all you have to decide is how to spend it all - ridiculous.

1 hour ago, MPH said:

I'd Like Foxestalk to follow suit and release a list of exactly how much the Mods and Admins get paid

...and would also be good to know how many members make a donation to keep it going....

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I assume that business model went out of the window years ago. They know there's no way they can ever hike up the licence fee enough to cover the costs, it's just damage limitation really isn't it? 

Like your council tax doesn't cover anywhere near the running cost of your local authority. There's always going to be money from central government. 

But with the entertainment industry what it is and the beeb having to offer competitive salaries to try and keep talent from going to sky or wherever else, there probably reaches a point where it's just impossible to ever break even. 

I mean we all love Peaky Blinders and the like but making even a six episode mini series of that kinda quality has got to just be an enormous money sink. Selling it to Netflix isn't going to make it profitable, just recoup some of the loss. 

End of the day it comes down to whether or not you believe the government has an obligation to provide cultural enrichment (don't laugh) as a basic public service. 

Personally, I'd like to think so. 

Let's axe a couple of billion off the defence budget, that's probably just two less cruise missiles a year anyway, and make the BBC competitive with HBO knocking out countless world class dramas as an international market leader so we're not always just watching American crap. 

Even Mattp can get behind that policy, surely? ;)

Fair enough, I'm not against the TV license or the BBC at all but when most of the nation is struggling under austerity it doesn't exactly send a great message to their viewers that they've run so far over budget while paying such ridiculous wages. 

2 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

The BBC make up a significant amount of their funding by syndicating shows and selling on content - so a loss one year could be recouped by increased sales in another.

Let's hope they make more sales next year then...

16 minutes ago, dynamark said:

Fine for no licence was £100. about 4 years ago.

Beeb has a very good in fact huge income stream from selling their programme on to other broadcasters home and abroad just like loads of other independents.There are tons of channels without public money.

A lot of the money goes to the regional stuff world news local radio (stringer!) foriegn service almost government based stuff.

If you take for example doctor who or a top gear series that will make a small fortune outside of any other income .

Few sponsors and a new business model and it could be done .Just imagine a business where you can sit down with hundreds of millions on the table and all you have to decide is how to spend it all - ridiculous.

This year their 'other income' (sales of goods, royalties, grants, rental, exchange gains) was a bit over a quarter of what the licence fee brings them.

4 hours ago, MattP said:

The BBC is not the free market at all, it collects a license fee under the threat of imprisonment. 

It's the total opposite to the free market.

If you choose to use their service. Nobody is being forced to pay the license fee are they?

Gary Lineker is a great presenter. He's almost unique because he played the game himself. I'm sure he's one of the reasons the BBC always has more viewers than ITV when they share cup finals. It's an obscene amount of money of course, but that doesn't mean it's not his market value.

Just now, Watson said:

If you choose to use their service. Nobody is being forced to pay the license fee are they?

Gary Lineker is a great presenter. He's almost unique because he played the game himself. I'm sure he's one of the reasons the BBC always has more viewers than ITV when they share cup finals. It's an obscene amount of money of course, but that doesn't mean it's not his market value.

If you own a TV you have to pay the license fee whether you watch the BBC or not.

18 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If you own a TV you have to pay the license fee whether you watch the BBC or not.

14 minutes ago, Watson said:

Ah fair enough forgot about that. 

Not true. 

If you watch TV on any device, as it broadcast live, then you have to pay the licence fee. I think the same applies to any iPlayer content. 

But you can still own a tv without having to pay the licence fee. 

How is Alex Jones getting the same salary as Matt Baker? They do the same job on the One Show, except she's now part time, and he does lots of other stuff and she does very little else.

Apart from Evans and maybe Lineker I can't see much in terms of overpaying compared to what they'd get else where and I can't see much disparity between genders apart from the above example. I'm a little surprised Evans is top, I'd have thought as the go to guy at the BBC for most entertainment shows Graham Norton would be pulling in those kind of figures.

3 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

[emoji23] The guy who plays Charlie Fairhead in Casualty is the BBC's highest paid actor! All he does is pull the same slightly concerned look every week (which actually just makes him look constipated).

Saw a bit of casualty a few months back and Charlie was having to stand up to this big muscular black nurse and the acting was terrible. He had no emotion, he wasn't convincing in any way. But we've all got people like him at work, big salary based on longevity rather than ability.

Saw a bit of casualty a few months back and Charlie was having to stand up to this big muscular black nurse and the acting was terrible. He had no emotion, he wasn't convincing in any way. But we've all got people like him at work, big salary based on longevity rather than ability.

When he was co-starring with Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren in The Long Good Friday he probably thought Hollywood stardom beckoned. Only to then be ground down and typecast by 30+ years of being Charlie Fairhead. Still, it's well paid regular work and very few actors have that.

Not sure what the big deal is with people at the top of their game earning xx amounts of money.

What do you want them to do, reject it and ask for a tenner an hour?

Tbh it's only Lineker's money that bothers me. He earns 7 times what Mark Chapman earns for MOTD2 for virtually the same job. Yes Lineker does other bits of presenting but so does Chapman. Nobody watches MOTD for the presenters anyway.

Archived