Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

BBC Salaries Published (and general rants about the licence fee)

29 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

Take Alan Shearer earning £450K for his punditry work.  Is there an appropriate substitute? Yes.  There are many ex players who would love that gig and would be happy to do it for a fraction of the fee. If anything, Shearer only stays relevant in football because of his work on MOTD.

Sure you could replace Shearer, but you need continuity, you can't keep replacing pundits and presenters to save money every season. That would damage the brand. You also have to accept that footballers have spent their career on massive salaries and offering them peanuts to do TV will probably not interest them.

Guest Foxin_mad
1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Oh wow you just said something sensible.  I'd call it a clear sign of the end times if it wasn't clearly borne of the same old bitter, childish "I hate lefties" bullshit. lol

On the bright side the clear similarities between this scandal and, say, the numerous banking bonuses/regulation debacles could be the epiphany that you needed to finally start approaching political issues on a more non-partisan, egalitarian basis. :thumbup:

Some wages and bonuses are ridiculous I fully agree. However the solution isn't more tax, the solution is to stop silly wages, this unfortunately probably needs a global pay cap which will never happen sadly.

The main difference here is that when something is publically funded there has to be value for money, if a business is generating high profit it can spend what it likes rightly or wrongly.

I would be happy for more of this money to get to the lower paid. The people whining at the top really need to start taking action! Gary Lineker taking a £1.7 million Salary and whining about, cuts and fat cat bonuses! he doesn't need that much set an example and reject it! I might then start to take his left wing rhetoric seriously!  The same with all these other cretinous celebs jumping on the left wing Corbyn band wagon put their money where their mouth is and take the average salary, let the rest be spread amongst those who work for you. 

Interestingly has a public sector pay cap ever been suggested? Surely no civil servant should ever earn more than the PM, logic says that has to be the most challenging job in the UK public sector. So why are there jokers on councils up and down the country claiming over £120k salaries whilst making cuts to vital services?!

Guest Foxin_mad
37 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Indeed the brilliance of the BBC is really not in the front men and women, it is in the production values and quality writing / news research and editorial.

This. I bet most of them are on salaries of a lot less than these face of the shows.

At the end of the day reading the news from an autocue is not exactly taxing!

I have to question if any job is worth the kind of salaries banded about here.  

Your talking more in a year than most have in a lifetime.

I like the BBC and think it makes some cracking content, but I suspect much of the quality of a show has nothing to do with the fronts of the shows.

Bbc is garbage and has been for years. Motd is OK on occasions but perhaps if they spent more money channelling their funds into things people actually want to watch like innovative shows and decent sport people would not be scrapping their license fee left right and center 

14 minutes ago, Foxin_mad said:

I would be happy for more of this money to get to the lower paid. The people whining at the top really need to start taking action! Gary Lineker taking a £1.7 million Salary and whining about, cuts and fat cat bonuses! he doesn't need that much set an example and reject it! I might then start to take his left wing rhetoric seriously!  The same with all these other cretinous celebs jumping on the left wing Corbyn band wagon put their money where their mouth is and take the average salary, let the rest be spread amongst those who work for you. 

We'd all love that, but let's not pretend that it's an exclusive left wing epidemic. Some 'cretinous left wing celebrities' have donated more than their fair share of wealth, JK Rowling being one example.

This poison runs through so many industries, for example banking, media and even charities. One of my biggest bugbears is the wages that some CEO's of charities rake in and the dodgy relationships they maintain. I have a strong affiliation with the Cystic Fibrosis Trust and they posted a picture in the past few weeks of Boris Johnson and their CEO, the irony was painful and embarrassing. 

We're all hypocrites when it comes to this though because we support one of the single worst industries in the world for excessive wages. Does that stop any of us from heading down to the KP and throwing our hard earned cash at overpaid primadonnas? I work in an industry that charges people in excess of a £100 per hour of our time for work that is generally an absolute necessity for them, and i'm sure many others whom are outraged by this whole affair are guilty of similar. Granted on a much smaller scale.  

I completely agree that their is a huge imbalance that needs to be addressed, but this goes much further than the BBC as highlighted by you and others. 

Much of what you are suggesting is very left wing and verging on communism; the Foxestalk left is getting to you :ph34r:

Archived