Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RODNEY FERNIO

State pension age raised yet again

Those currently aged between 39 and 47 will now have to wait until they are 68 to receive their state pension.

Drives me mad when they keep doing this .... if this happened in France they would be out on the streets

protesting .. but us Brits seem to just take it on the chin.

41 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Those currently aged between 39 and 47 will now have to wait until they are 68 to receive their state pension.

Drives me mad when they keep doing this .... if this happened in France they would be out on the streets

protesting .. but us Brits seem to just take it on the chin.

Conservatives have surely lost the next election with this move. 7 years ahead of schedule!

We have an aging population and also one that is capable of working longer into their life. I don't object to it. The other option we be to cut funding to the NHS so that more  people die...

It will also, hopefully, encourage more people to put more away in their private pension so they can retire earlier without relying on the state.

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

How many years of pension do you expect?  Already most people pay way less into their pension than they take out, they should have made it 70 imo.

I'm 36, I don't expect there to be a state pension when I get close to retirement age.

Guest MattP
53 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Won't have a state pension when I retire. Probably won't have an NHS either. Looking forward to being in the late 21st century Tory untermensch with no social security whatsoever.    

One term of Corbyn and those who are 55 won't be getting a state pension or a working NHS. :whistle:

Seriously though, how many years of a state pension do people want? We're now almost at the point where the state will pay you for more years than you pay the state.

8 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I'd scrap the state pension. A UBI would replace the need for it. 

The govt's putting up the pension age because the country can't afford it and you're suggesting we give it out at 18?

1 hour ago, MattP said:

One term of Corbyn and those who are 55 won't be getting a state pension or a working NHS. :whistle:

Once General Corbyn overthrows the bourgeois the great satisfaction of using our labour to the benefit of the Motherland will sustain both our body and spirit, comrade.

People might be living longer but that doesnt neccesarily mean you can work longer or that employers  would want to hire someone that old.

Heck by the time your 50 or older companies want to get rid of older employees for younger cheaper options.

I understand the reality though so its a no brainer per say.

Having said that i highly doubt pensions will exist for us Genx or mellenials in the same capacity as they do today for baby boomers.  Baby boomers  (imho) have it the best. 

3 hours ago, breadandcheese said:

Not really sure what you expect? When the state pension was setup, average life expectancy was 68 or something like that, so it was affordable. Now we have an ageing population living longer, it is simply unaffordable going forward unless changes are made. 

Work till you die, then?

Can someone in a physical job, construction, trucking, emergency services, loaders and packers, train drivers (who need an alert mind), and the rest. How can it be right that these groups are expected to work until they almost literally drop?

68 is an age when so many people are incapable of physical work. I grant you, that there are many who are and that's fine for them, but what provision will be made for those that can't? I don't know what your profession is but are you really willing to work until you're approaching 70? What of those who will have no private pension to fall back on? Generally they'll be amongst the lowest paid manual workers who will have to slog on to 68, knackered by years of hard manual work. If they live much beyond 68 they'll be in the minority.

Saves the Gov millions in pensions as people will be eligible for fewer years before they die.

50 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Work till you die, then?

Can someone in a physical job, construction, trucking, emergency services, loaders and packers, train drivers (who need an alert mind), and the rest. How can it be right that these groups are expected to work until they almost literally drop?

68 is an age when so many people are incapable of physical work. I grant you, that there are many who are and that's fine for them, but what provision will be made for those that can't? I don't know what your profession is but are you really willing to work until you're approaching 70? What of those who will have no private pension to fall back on? Generally they'll be amongst the lowest paid manual workers who will have to slog on to 68, knackered by years of hard manual work. If they live much beyond 68 they'll be in the minority.

Saves the Gov millions in pensions as people will be eligible for fewer years before they die.

I do a physical job and I don't fancy working until I'm 68 but that doesn't change the maths. We're living longer and the country can't afford it.

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Work till you die, then?

There is an argument to be made for different retirement ages depending on profession. Granted. However, it'd be remarkably difficult to put in to practice as people do not have one job for life anymore and change professions.

It doesn't change the central point of affordability. The pension ponzi scheme works when we have a growing population of working age. Not so much when we don't. 

And me. I plan to work as long as I can. People who retire are different people a year later. They're not as sharp.

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

I do a physical job and I don't fancy working until I'm 68 but that doesn't change the maths. We're living longer and the country can't afford it.

Then increase NI or  taxes on those of working age now so that they can have the pension security in the future at the reasonable age of 65, which, by the way, is quite old for many people and will be in 30 yrs time for those that are 35 yrs old now. No way will a tory gov do that. 

How many 68 yr olds would you want to still be in a physical job? Would you feel safe being driven by a 68 yr old bus driver? Would you think that a tower crane operator is still as capable. Is a prison officer as respected and as capable at 38 as at 68? A police officer at 68 would be taken apart. 

You might argue that they  could move into another, non-public facing role, but those are very limited opportunities.

1 hour ago, breadandcheese said:

There is an argument to be made for different retirement ages depending on profession. Granted. However, it'd be remarkably difficult to put in to practice as people do not have one job for life anymore and change professions.

It doesn't change the central point of affordability. The pension ponzi scheme works when we have a growing population of working age. Not so much when we don't. 

And me. I plan to work as long as I can. People who retire are different people a year later. They're not as sharp.

I can't wait for the day I can retire and give my brain a rest.

Not being 'sharp' every day sounds great to me...

1 hour ago, breadandcheese said:

I would argue that that is an age related issue rather than retiring and becoming mentally deficient because you're not at work. Actually that's quite unfair to millions of retired professionals.

For me, what it comes down to is, the gov have, quite rightly, made us pay through tax and NI towards our own state pensions. it isn't a freebie. Workers of all ages should be entitled to their pension at 65 as promised because they will have paid for it during their working lives, expecting it to kick in after roughly 45yrs of work and contributions. 

Is it right that younger workers now will have to pay more and work longer to get the (reduced) state pension?

7 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Conservatives have surely lost the next election with this move. 7 years ahead of schedule!

Pretty sure they have lost the next election. But with all the debt, I suppose they are the first group for a while to try and cut the cloth.

But it will come at a price for them for sure. 

Archived