Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Turbogre

Non-payment of wages

54 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

Will be surprised if HMRC give the worker a second thought.

I do the books for a small catering company in Leicester, who a couple of summers ago took on a part time worker for seven weeks on a supposed "self employed" basis. Somebody in a similar line of work rang the HMRC whistle blower line to say the company were employing workers without paying NI etc.

HMRC inspector wrote and was out to the business within two-three weeks to inspect the books. I was happy to represent the company at the meeting and it all went alright, they accepted we had acted above board, although were one form missing, which we sorted. I asked what would happen to the worker, now left and the reply was for the amount in question wasn't worth bothering about. More concerned about firms taking the mick, because if one employee, could be a lot more, then that would start to add up.

Just make the call.

Agreed to a certain extent the employee is of little concern .. but if they can find the link to multiple employees and then multiple employers then its different gravy.

They targeted the car washes a couple of years ago ... but the undeclared tax was peanuts ... three or four blokes cleaning your car for a tenner is not worth bothering with,

every guy there is earning less than the minimum wage ..  HMRC have no interest in what they are being paid if its at that rate.

Could you try and strong-arm them by going to the restaurant and threaten to kick up a fuss on social media, write to the papers and potentially threaten going to HMRC, tell customs that they formerly employed an illegal etc etc?

6 hours ago, MrSpaM said:

TBH for 30 hours wages I'd just cut my losses, guy sounds more trouble than it's worth, which is probably what he's hoping for, but without a contract your a bit screwed

I recon we have found the boss...

2 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Will be surprised if HMRC give the worker a second thought.

I do the books for a small catering company in Leicester, who a couple of summers ago took on a part time worker for seven weeks on a supposed "self employed" basis. Somebody in a similar line of work rang the HMRC whistle blower line to say the company were employing workers without paying NI etc.

HMRC inspector wrote and was out to the business within two-three weeks to inspect the books. I was happy to represent the company at the meeting and it all went alright, they accepted we had acted above board, although were one form missing, which we sorted. I asked what would happen to the worker, now left and the reply was for the amount in question wasn't worth bothering about. More concerned about firms taking the mick, because if one employee, could be a lot more, then that would start to add up.

Just make the call.

Catering company?

or are you just cooking the books!

Archived