Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Southern Fox

Danny Drinkwater

16 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

I just looked at the stats for that season on Squawka, guess what, Drinky has higher player rating - total, per game and per 90. James has great stats too and if anything he was slightly better defensively but for passing and overall attacking contribution, Drinky is way ahead. 

That being said, they were both good and if anything, backs up my theory that Drinky is most effective when contributing to us going forward and has someone to help him out defensively (that he can trust). That forward driving force is what we need and what the team is missing, and overly reliant on Riyad for. Think of all Drinky's crucial goals that Championship season. 

Er...the end. :P

(PS - at least we both want him to be successful! Which is nice for a FT argument!) 

IMG_0020.thumb.PNG.a10c0bb65e4770a16cfe23675e7430be.PNG

IMG_0020.PNG

23 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

I just looked at the stats for that season on Squawka, guess what, Drinky has higher player rating - total, per game and per 90.

How on earth are these player ratings worked out? If it's anything like whoscored they are so easily warped by one incident in a game they are almost useless.

I've always liked both, but James over the years is the one I felt we missed the most when not playing.

13 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

IMG_0020.thumb.PNG.a10c0bb65e4770a16cfe23675e7430be.PNG

IMG_0020.PNG

Fair enough (so good you posted it twice! ?) Looking at the comparisons (I did all of them but didn't post) DD was way more effective attacking and also played way more passes per game, and obviously scored more, whereas Jamo was the rock and linked things together

Just now, Babylon said:

How on earth are these player ratings worked out? If it's anything like whoscored they are so easily warped by one incident in a game they are almost useless.

I've always liked both, but James over the years is the one I felt we missed the most when not playing.

Totally agree Babs. I'd rather have both of them firing on all cylinders than neither. James links defence and attack more seamlessly, and is better at the breakdown and recycling. DD is really strong going forward (well was) and since he put on all his muscle, I think he's lost some of that agility and drive that he had (and was the reason we bought him). 

15 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Sorry Babylon I'm shamelessly plagiarising your Sqawka material all over FT

13 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

Fair enough (so good you posted it twice! ?) Looking at the comparisons (I did all of them but didn't post) DD was way more effective attacking and also played way more passes per game, and obviously scored more, whereas Jamo was the rock and linked things together

Totally agree Babs. I'd rather have both of them firing on all cylinders than neither. James links defence and attack more seamlessly, and is better at the breakdown and recycling. DD is really strong going forward (well was) and since he put on all his muscle, I think he's lost some of that agility and drive that he had (and was the reason we bought him). 

Yes he looked almost muscle bound / fat after Christmas.

41 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Yes he looked almost muscle bound / fat after Christmas.

Too much Christmas ham? lol

Good conversation thought, enjoyed actually having a rational conversation on here! 

On 23/07/2017 at 12:49, kingfox said:

We rely too heavily on Mahrez and as seen last season we are absolutely shit if certain players don't perform, I'd put Drinkwater in that category, he is the one who makes the forward passes from midfield, he is our engine in midfield who we look towards to create. Comparing stats from 15/16 and 16/17 season, 37 key passes, 44 chances created in our title winning season, last season he made only 14 key passes and created 15 chances, that just shows how negative he was. Matty James only played 15 games for Barnsley last season, made 13 key passes and created 14 chances, he played 15 games less than Drinkwater.

Drinkwater has done it so often though like you said, Championship winning season he was Player of the Year, first season back in the Prem he turned shit and got rightfully dropped, Premier League winning season even though Kante helped him a lot he was absolutely brilliant, last season he struggled and returned to his negative ways.

I can't see N'Didi and Iborra being the right central midfield partnership, two powerhouses both of which are more defensive, can't see either of them being the creative midfielder we need. If we don't get anybody in I'd run with N'Didi and James, against Arsenal though I wouldn't be surprised if we play 5 in midfield.

Even if we play 5 in midfield, I'd be inclined to start with Iborra, Ndidi an James from what I have seen, we need to keep a little bit more possession, as we seen last season we may be able to play for 80 mins for a draw, but will get broke down eventually, not sure who would offer the creativity, but early signs look good from James an I think DD needs to realise he won't be an automatic pick anymore.

Archived