Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

'Proven Premier Player'

Ok guys... One of the most common calls on here is to buy players with the above mentioned Premier experience. I'm interested to see if you can name a team of such players that are, or could be, REALISTIC options for us. 

I ask because I'm genuinely interested, not because I have a strong point of view or because I want to cause grief. I only ask that it doesn't get personal, since people are bound to disagree. I'll keep out of it unless asked something directly. 

Begovic

Evans

Smalling

Ake

Robertson

Arter

Fletcher

Phillips

Tadic

Lanzini

Deeney

NB: I tried to include players that were available as of the start of the transfer window and players that we have been previously linked with.

1 hour ago, Filberts lovechild said:

To be honest that saying is only relevant to newly promoted clubs or Champo clubs, u reckon top clubs actually look at that mate?

If you're asking me, I guess I was asking because certain people on the Transfer pages are forever bemoaning our prospects not being said PPPs. 

I was expecting the thread to show how difficult it is to actually source such players. 

I get your point. It's a phrase that is so annoying. People speak of the league as if it's super difficult yet we've seen players like Kante (from a French division) and N'Didi (from a Belgium division) look more than comfortable playing regular Premier League football.

Maybe it's because Sky big the league up so much.

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I get your point. It's a phrase that is so annoying. People speak of the league as if it's super difficult yet we've seen players like Kante (from a French division) and N'Didi (from a Belgium division) look more than comfortable playing regular Premier League football.

Maybe it's because Sky big the league up so much.

It's because we're so arrogant in this country. We seem to think that culturally we've got it right and the rest of the world is wrong. English football fans and pundits (Paul Merson being the worst) are so ignorant when talking about other leagues. 'Farmer's league' being the most cliched term used by premier league fans when discussing other leagues across the world. 

34 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

It's because we're so arrogant in this country. We seem to think that culturally we've got it right and the rest of the world is wrong. English football fans and pundits (Paul Merson being the worst) are so ignorant when talking about other leagues. 'Farmer's league' being the most cliched term used by premier league fans when discussing other leagues across the world. 

Disagree with this.  It is plain to see on Europe that PL teams are not exactly pulling up trees and I think you would struggle to find anyone who really rates the national team.  It is not a case of 'British is best' but the PL does have some qualities in terms of pace and physicality that make it very different from European leagues and some players can often struggle to adapt.

25 minutes ago, murphy said:

Disagree with this.  It is plain to see on Europe that PL teams are not exactly pulling up trees and I think you would struggle to find anyone who really rates the national team.  It is not a case of 'British is best' but the PL does have some qualities in terms of pace and physicality that make it very different from European leagues and some players can often struggle to adapt.

Maybe I'm just bitter and very opinionated about the negative impacts of the premier league and how overrated it is. 
I wasn't just referring to football when I mentioned how arrogant we are. I think that generally speaking we have this inherent small minded view of other cultures and we automatically think that our way of life is best. 

I believe in the phrase 'proven Prem players' because the Premier League is like no other in the world. 

Its simply, the quickest. We still have the blood and thunder games where both teams are going for each other end-to-end.

We still have the physicality of the West Broms and the Stokes.

And we still have weeks where literally any team can beat any other.

This DOES take getting used to. And players who have gotten used to it will generally tolerate it better, I think.

In terms of who to realistically go for... I'm stumped really, basically because teams don't usually want to sell their 'proven players'.

26 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

In terms of who to realistically go for... I'm stumped really, basically because teams don't usually want to sell their 'proven players'.

Thanks Col, and everyone. It's no surprise to me that the types that say this sort of thing are (thus far anyway) absent in this thread. However, given how honest you are in your status of 'stumped', and your reasoning, this helps me realise that the desire for this type of player appears to be a little unrealistic/unlikely.

It's more about having players who will graft in every match - that's what I would class as qualifying as Premier League standard. Players from Holland, France, La Liga and Serie A only need to play at 80% for most of the season because the competition for honours/titles isn't as fierce.

It's only really the Bundesliga which is comparable to the Premier League in terms of blood and thunder style, but that's without the added pressure of fierce competition for honours with Bayern hoovering up the talent.

In the Premier League if you are not playing at 100% in every match you are not going to reach your goals. Simple as that.

This does apply to all leagues, but only to a lesser extent. Teams at the bottom of our league fight harder than their counterparts in other leagues - simply due to financial incentive.

Granada employed Tony Adams last season ffs.

So when people talk about PL standard I think they mean mentality more than ability. It's about toughing it out in a tough climate in a tough league. Players who have played a couple of seasons of this and performed are therefore PL standard.

5 hours ago, EnglishOxide said:

Players from Holland, France, La Liga and Serie A only need to play at 80% for most of the season because the competition for honours/titles isn't as fierce.

I disagree with that, unless we are signing a player from Barca, Madrid or PSG, other teams like Monaco, Atleti, Sevilla, Bilbao have to battle in every game to be successful.

A PPP would be someone, anyone who has played multiple seasons as first choice in the premier league and has the mental and physical strength to succeed in this league. Whether it is older player like Huth or someone deemed surplus to requirements at another club like Albrighton. Of our targets you would put Jonny Evans, Chris Smalling, Deeney and Gylfi Sigurddsson in that bracket, but that is probably it. Iheanacho hasn't really played a full season and Gibson has had one season in which he got relegated.

None of that means anything though other than they will be physically and mentally prepared.

1 hour ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Really or sarcastic? 

I don't rate the bloke one iota.

I don't rate him either, as a Man City and England midfielder. 

I think he'd be a great signing for us, however. Another hungry player with something to prove. Think Albrighton, Simpson etc.

I think you may be falling into the same trap as England have done for years in thinking that the best players will give you the best Team. It doesn't work that way and rarely will. You have to have players who complement each other and suit the system.

If they're extra talented it's a bonus but the most important thing is that they fit the Team.

The two examples from our team I guess would be Mahrez and Albrighton.

Mahrez is not the best team player, but he is extra talented.Has he cost us Goals most certainly he has.

Yes he scores goals also and is exciting. But is that enough and so we tolerate him.

Albrighton is not the most talented but a great team player who does his job diligently every game. Has he cost us Goals I cant think of any. But he also chips in with a few goals a season. 

But what Managers are looking for is the perfect balance between the skillful players and the system.

Kante would be another example, All he done was break up play. But it suited our system. Vardy another example.

That's were Pearson shined as well as his other attributes. Hopefully Shakey was part of that decision making and can find the players to suit his system. But it's never easy when signing players, there's always an element of luck. 

3 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I think you may be falling into the same trap as England have done for years in thinking that the best players will give you the best Team. It doesn't work that way and rarely will. You have to have players who complement each other and suit the system.

If they're extra talented it's a bonus but the most important thing is that they fit the Team.

The two examples from our team I guess would be Mahrez and Albrighton.

Mahrez is not the best team player, but he is extra talented.Has he cost us Goals most certainly he has.

Yes he scores goals also and is exciting. But is that enough and so we tolerate him.

Albrighton is not the most talented but a great team player who does his job diligently every game. Has he cost us Goals I cant think of any. But he also chips in with a few goals a season. 

But what Managers are looking for is the perfect balance between the skillful players and the system.

Kante would be another example, All he done was break up play. But it suited our system. Vardy another example.

That's were Pearson shined as well as his other attributes. Hopefully Shakey was part of that decision making and can find the players to suit his system. But it's never easy when signing players, there's always an element of luck. 

lol come on.

The man would make a goal saving interception on the edge of our box and then be leading the counter attack seconds later.

Archived