Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleckneymike

The ones who got away

5 hours ago, fleckneymike said:

Following last seasons rather mediocre recruitment where unfortunately we seemed to actually sign everyone we wanted; I was wondering what has happened to those who got away. I don't mean players we were linked with, I mean those who chose to go elsewhere. 

In the summer of Kante and Okazaki we missed out on Vertout and Aranguiz. Vertout flopped at Villa and suffered the ignominy of relegation whilst Aranguiz had the misfortune of a terrible injury. Were there any others who chose to move elsewhere and missed out on their moment in history?

I wouldnt look back on not getting Vertout and Aranguiz with regrets.There is no reason to think 'what might have been' for 201516.

Anyone remember us having Mark Davies from Bolton on loan in the League One season? He was so ridiculously comfortable in that division it was unreal. 

Real shame a) we didn't him permanently and b) he has gone on to have a pretty injury plagued career. 

7 hours ago, deejdeej said:

We were linked with every big name over the age of 30 in Sven's summer. Including Owen, Beckham and Van Nistlerooy. Couldn't even get a 33 year old Heskey in the end. 

Owen Hargreaves as well !

8 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Hary Kane, Who thought he'd have turned out as prolific as he has.

Only a few years ago i know. But i think i remember us playing him as defensive midfield?

Shaun Maloney turned us down in 2015 after we'd agreed a £1 million deal with Wigan. His decision was vindicated as he chose Chicago Fire where he lasted an impressive 15 games before coming back to have a cameo role in Hull City's impressive relegation season. I bet he's glad he dodged the bullet of a premier league win and a spell in the champions league. 

38 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Shaun Maloney turned us down in 2015 after we'd agreed a £1 million deal with Wigan. His decision was vindicated as he chose Chicago Fire where he lasted an impressive 15 games before coming back to have a cameo role in Hull City's impressive relegation season. I bet he's glad he dodged the bullet of a premier league win and a spell in the champions league. 

Ha ha - I forgot that . We must have had Stevie Wonder doing some part time scouting  for us on that one 

17 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Who's that bloke who came out and said he couldn't wait to have a strike partnership with Jamie Vardy?

Surprised me at the time as we seemed to be that guys number one choice for where he wanted to go.

Lapadula or something.

I remember the same summer we could have got Robbie Keane or Eidur Gudjonsen for £5m, instead we went for Akinbiyi.....

Andy Booth and John Hartson deals almost happened too in the 90's.

This

There was a definite link to Gudjonsen when we signed Ade

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Jason Mcateer... pretty sure we announced him, only for him to fail a medical and end up at Tranmere.

There was a photo on the official website of him holding up the shirt inside the stadium. It was then swiftly deleted.

Remember when we were first in the Premier League 94/95 it was on the back page of the Mirror that we had agreed deals to sign both Erik Thorstvedt and Hans Segers. As an 8 year old before foreign signings were a regular thing i remember being excited about this even if they were both 'keepers.

11 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

Anyone remember us having Mark Davies from Bolton on loan in the League One season? He was so ridiculously comfortable in that division it was unreal. 

Real shame a) we didn't him permanently and b) he has gone on to have a pretty injury plagued career. 

He was actually on loan from Wolves, but played so well for us in L1 that Bolton of the Prem came and snapped him up. I see he's no longer with them, free agent or forced to retire?

Pretty sure glyn hodges sat on the bench but didn't get a game in a friendly or somet back in the day. And there was Daley Thompson training with us under judas McGhee and there were rumours he was on trial to potentially get a contract?

18 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

He was actually on loan from Wolves, but played so well for us in L1 that Bolton of the Prem came and snapped him up. I see he's no longer with them, free agent or forced to retire?

Davies was quality in league 1. The Bolton move went well for him eh? Shoulda stayed with the mighty ? 

I was gutted we missed out on Nathan Redmond to Southampton, I think we should have gone in a bit harder for him as we were rumoured to be interested, he's got great potential.

Looking a bit further back, I wish we would have signed Dion Dublin in his prime ! Rather than C*v and Villa getting his best years 

Archived