Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SuperMike

Optimism for the new season.

I love the optimism that a new season brings. Clean slate, new players and honed-up systems.

This year, however, I do feel a wee bit cheated.

Arsenal - away!! How optimistic am I about that? When was the last time we won at The Emirates (never?) - When was the last time we won at Highbury (1971 - goals from Glover and Stringfellow!?).

Even when we have the better team, better players and play really well - they beat us!

If Arsenal were to play their second team they, or the ref, would find a way to beat us!

If they kicked off with just nine men, the ref would send off three of ours and they would beat us!

If they sent out a team made up of the players' pets they would probably be losing as we went into injury time - Wenger would send on the two sheep subs (Woollycott and Ramsy) - they'd both score and, yes, they'd beat us again!

Boy, am I looking forward to that friday night - on Sky TV for all the world to see.

9 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

I love the optimism that a new season brings. Clean slate, new players and honed-up systems.

Arsenal - away!! How optimistic am I about that? When was the last time we won at The Emirates (never?) - When was the last time we won at Highbury (1971 - goals from Glover and Stringfellow!?).

Even when we have the better team, better players and play really well - they beat us!

If Arsenal were to play their second team they, or the ref, would find a way to beat us!

If they kicked off with just nine men, the ref would send off three of ours and they would beat us!

If they sent out a team made up of the players' pets they would probably be losing as we went into injury time - Wenger would send on the two sheep subs (Woollycott and Ramsy) - they'd both score and, yes, they'd beat us again!

Boy, am I looking forward to that friday night - on Sky TV for all the world to see.

I tell you what I would love it if we beat them. If we can get those 3 points and come away top of the league, the pressures then on everyone else to catch up with us.

I can see it being a dull game though, got 0-0 written all over it.

Doesn't matter when we play any club because we've got to play them twice anyway.

Can't see us getting a result but the players and staff shouldn't go in with that attitude.

with no European football the focus will be solely be on the league with the usual of not taking the cup competition too seriously unless we go on a run in them!. top ten should be the bare minimum we expect and the top four a distant possibility with us probably going to be somewhere in between. 

The thing that breeds optimism is us playing well. I'm not going to be panicking because we've lost one game, but the manner in which we appraoch every match is all important. It's that which determines long term success or failure.

If we play like we did when they beat us 5-2 2 years ago I'll be filled with optimism. If we play like we did in April I'll be very disappointed.

If the team is positive, we can be positive. Results in the early stage of the season aren't the be all and end all.

17 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

The thing that breeds optimism is us playing well. I'm not going to be panicking because we've lost one game, but the manner in which we appraoch every match is all important. It's that which determines long term success or failure.

If we play like we did when they beat us 5-2 2 years ago I'll be filled with optimism. If we play like we did in April I'll be very disappointed.

If the team is positive, we can be positive. Results in the early stage of the season aren't the be all and end all.

Totally agree. 

Scary thing is that every game against a big team away from home under Shakespeare we've just set up totally defensive. The April game like you pointed out, Manchester City it took us to go 2-0 down before he did anything, Madrid away...

1 hour ago, SuperMike said:

I am absolutely certain that we would have beaten them in February 2012 had it not been for Simpson's dismissal. 

Playing Arsenal first game of the season is probably the best possible time we could play them. In recent years they have had poor starts against West Ham and Liverpool. As you say we rarely get anything from this fixture even when we won the league, but we are due something given our last three performances away against them

Our start to the season is brutal and I for one am braced for being in or near the drop zone after 6 games. However, there is plenty of room for optimism. We still have almost the same miracle performing squad, are having a decent transfer window and have fewer games to play overall. Shakespeare has impressed me with the way he has dealt with both the media and players (Mahrez has not come and out and refused to play like Van Dijk, Arnautovic, etc). We've only played two games so far and in intense heat and still looked competitive.

I look to our games last season versus Man City at home and Liverpool at home. During both games we were under a lot of pressure but our players and fans performed. It's the standard we should expect from ourselves, and if we can play like it often we are a really good team in this league. There's also a possibility that come September 1st we still have Mahrez (who will be hungry to get himself that move) and Kelechi Ihenacho who will have something to prove and the talent to back it up. These could be X-factors for us during the next 9 months. Maguire already looks like he's been part of the squad for years and Iborra could be a fantastic signing. 

I think this years preseason will do us no end of good too. Last year you could just see the players lacking in energy early on after the joke that was the ICC in Sweden and the US. I think we'll be competitive in this game and get off to a positive start.

Iheanacho plus one more defender and i'll be even more optimistic.

Wengers a shit manager, if we go into the game positively then we've got every chance of winning but if we're too negative then we've lost before the game it's even kicked off

I know one thing if we lose I won't hang around to see the twats do a lap of honour followed by their stupid dressing room selfies, after all whatever the result one of us will go top of the table and I hope it's not them w*****s.

5 hours ago, SuperMike said:

The longer this run goes on...the greater the chance we have of ending it.

...and to think we'll be 'back on Top of the league',, albeit for one day , the lads must be up for this one.

..and if Riyad is still with us for that game, I'm sure he'll have a point to prove.

Can't wait!

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Totally agree. 

Scary thing is that every game against a big team away from home under Shakespeare we've just set up totally defensive. The April game like you pointed out, Manchester City it took us to go 2-0 down before he did anything, Madrid away...

I share your concerns.  Whilst not being gunge ho our midfield last year was never going to be good enough to support such negative tactics. If you sit back and invite Arsenal to play football, don't be suprised if that's precisely what they do.  

5 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Doesn't matter when we play any club because we've got to play them twice anyway.

Can't see us getting a result but the players and staff shouldn't go in with that attitude.

There are better times to play certain teams though. Best to play the big boys first before new signings have settled and likely still lacking match fitness after a globetrotting pre-season

I don't feel particularly optimistic for the new season. I look at our squad and think it looks bang average. And especially if we lose Mahrez.

A good start, as always, will be essential. 

I'm just excited by the prospect of the new season. Like a kid, year in, year out, I just want opening day to come. I just love football!

6 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

I tell you what I would love it if we beat them. If we can get those 3 points and come away top of the league, the pressures then on everyone else to catch up with us.

I can see it being a dull game though, got 0-0 written all over it.

download.jpg

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Arsenal are pretty slow starters, off the top of my head I can remember Villa and West Ham beating them at the Emirates on opening day.

What we do not want is to have to go to the Emirates as the opening game, to be playing against a one Mr Riyad Mahrez. 

It would just feel very very wrong.

Archived