Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SuperMike

Optimism for the new season.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What we do not want is to have to go to the Emirates as the opening game, to be playing against a one Mr Riyad Mahrez. 

It would just feel very very wrong.

True, but as supporters, that's out of our hands.

It would be very raw, we played Chelsea away relatively early last season and it was sad to hear Kante getting booed.

I think everyone gave up after 20 minutes because he saw so much of the ball!

People move on, but that side from a couple of years ago should always be remembered fondly.

It gave us the best year of our lives.

10 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Arsenal are pretty slow starters, off the top of my head I can remember Villa and West Ham beating them at the Emirates on opening day.

I can see nothing but an Arsenal victory. From the first 6 I'll be happy if we beat Brighton and Hudd's, any points from the other 4 games will be a huge bonus.

30 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What we do not want is to have to go to the Emirates as the opening game, to be playing against a one Mr Riyad Mahrez. 

It would just feel very very wrong.

I don't know, in a strange sort of sadomasochistic way I'd quite like it.

If he's going there, then I'd say playing them first, before he has a chance to settle will probably be to our benefit.

We can see how our players that know him inside out deal with his qualities.

Everyone that believes he will be so much better with more attacking and skilled players around him get their first insight into that theory.

I think if we get it out the way first game, then come the home game he will receive a warm welcome, regardless of how his season is panning out for them, which imo he deserves.

The problem of course is Arsehole probably wouldn't play him against us

Firstly I don't see him playing against us, surely that would be a smart move to insist that he doesn't play.

There's no one I want us to beat more than Arsenal. Wenger is a Total Blx the way he unsettles other teams players by making statements. Mahrez being a current example.

I also think that we'll set up not to lose rather than win. But we need to be strong on both wings. For that reason i'd go with Chilwell and Albrighton left and right of the midfield.

This i think gives us to bites of the Cherry. Strong at the back with the ability to get forward.

But the season can't come quick enough.

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

I can see nothing but an Arsenal victory. From the first 6 I'll be happy if we beat Brighton and Hudd's, any points from the other 4 games will be a huge bonus.

I unfortunaltely agree Ronnie.  I just hope we compete more in the first game this season than we did vs Hull.  If we play really well and either get unlucky or snag a draw, I think it will kick us on.  I really worry what will happen if we lose heavily in the first couple of games...  

Saying that, there's still a while to go between now and then for a couple of new signings, and maybe we might see Arsenal lose Sanchez and not replace him.  Us getting stronger, and them weaker would be awesome! 

I was feeling pretty optimistic after Maguire, now we seem to have settled with what we've got.

Feeling pretty uninspired about the coming season. We've shored up defensively with Maguire and Iborra but we seem to be going into another season with a team set up to hoof the ball and hope Vardy can do something.

We're badly due a clear out.

Shakespeare is yet to really grasp playing away from home and game management. We've set up ridiculously negative in some games and also been unable to weather the storm when we've taken the lead. West Ham away and Palace away was horrendous in the 2nd half and were very lucky to get anything in those games. West Brom was a turgid affair but we were defensively solid which is much harder to maintain against the better sides which we saw vs Arsenal, Man City and Madrid. These games we seemed to wait until we fell behind before we committed to any real attacks, the Arsenal game being the biggest sucker blow as we seemed happy to try and nick a 0-0 draw.

I'm nervous about the coming season, we're not seeing any drastic changes which might be a good thing but given how poor we were for a lot of last season if we struggle again then it'll be very annoying not to have learnt from the mistakes and tried to evolve.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Shakespeare is yet to really grasp playing away from home and game management. We've set up ridiculously negative in some games and also been unable to weather the storm when we've taken the lead. West Ham away and Palace away was horrendous in the 2nd half and were very lucky to get anything in those games. West Brom was a turgid affair but we were defensively solid which is much harder to maintain against the better sides which we saw vs Arsenal, Man City and Madrid. These games we seemed to wait until we fell behind before we committed to any real attacks, the Arsenal game being the biggest sucker blow as we seemed happy to try and nick a 0-0 draw.

I'm nervous about the coming season, we're not seeing any drastic changes which might be a good thing but given how poor we were for a lot of last season if we struggle again then it'll be very annoying not to have learnt from the mistakes and tried to evolve.

Yeah, pretty much my feelings.

How he was talking, he gave the impression we'd be looking to push on and challenge the top 7. I'm definitely not getting that impression so far though. We must know we need another good creative midfielder as we've enquired about Siggy.

I'm really hoping we're trying to quietly do deals in the background, if we're not it's gonna be a pretty boring season watching plenty of turgid hoof ball.

The second half of that West Ham game lol absolute robbery that we won it.

I basically agree with those points about Shakespeare but I'm pumped for the season still, gotta be excited for it. At least until we get mugged off by Brighton at home.

Doesn't feel like there's any effort to develop though. Just do the same stuff and hope there's enough of the title winners left

Even if we get KI this is still another typically pathetic closed season for Leicester. We've failed to recruit any decent creativity in the midfield and our most creative player wants away. We will continue to look out of ideas in the middle and our forwards will be frustrated. Left it far too late in the window so even if we have other players coming in they won't settle and perform quickly as they won't have had a pre-season.

Same old shit. Looking forward to it? Yes... Optimistic? No. 

I'm in the pessimism camp as well I'm afraid. Shakespeare doesn't inspire any confidence in me, hope I'm very very wrong which is more than possible.

We've a plethora of midfielders that are quite samey, no real creativity or anyone that appears to be able to thread a ball through. Mind you everyone needs one of those, they don't come cheap and would they want to come to Leicester?  In fairness who knows who they're trying to get. 

We need to offload, pick any or all from Musa, Amartey,  King, Mendy, Ulloah. No time for sentiment,  we have a reasonable belief these can't do it. Sell 5 get 2. I'd keep James and Lawrence because we don't know but for me give more reasons for optimism than the others. But who'd want any of those others for reasonable money?

Need to keep Slimani in case all the expectation on Iheanacho's shoulders, if he turns up, is misplaced. He's still just a very promising kid after all. Need cover for Simpson, not Armarty.

Also, it's my last day on holiday in Crete and the prospect of going back to work is perhaps clouding my judgement. Perhaps a few pints of Mythos might get me back on here later thinking we can win the title again? Yep, it's my duty to go and make the effort! 

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I'm in the pessimism camp as well I'm afraid. Shakespeare doesn't inspire any confidence in me, hope I'm very very wrong which is more than possible.

We've a plethora of midfielders that are quite samey, no real creativity or anyone that appears to be able to thread a ball through. Mind you everyone needs one of those, they don't come cheap and would they want to come to Leicester?  In fairness who knows who they're trying to get. 

We need to offload, pick any or all from Musa, Amartey,  King, Mendy, Ulloah. No time for sentiment,  we have a reasonable belief these can't do it. Sell 5 get 2. I'd keep James and Lawrence because we don't know but for me give more reasons for optimism than the others. But who'd want any of those others for reasonable money?

Need to keep Slimani in case all the expectation on Iheanacho's shoulders, if he turns up, is misplaced. He's still just a very promising kid after all. Need cover for Simpson, not Armarty.

Also, it's my last day on holiday in Crete and the prospect of going back to work is perhaps clouding my judgement. Perhaps a few pints of Mythos might get me back on here later thinking we can win the title again? Yep, it's my duty to go and make the effort! 

Pretty much my thoughts too. 

Still time left but my optimism is turning to pessimism.

Thought by now we'd have at least two good young centre backs, decent right back cover and a quality creative midfielder.

We've just made one decent signing to fill those positions and a midfielder I'm not sure we need.

We also seem to have made no effort to clear the dross out and are even giving Ulloa a new contract ?

If we start the season as we are today it'll be very hard to be optimistic. We've bought a reserve goalkeeper, a central defender and defensive midfielder who may not even be our best defensive midfielder. The one player who gives us a creative spark wants to leave. And one of our biggest problems from last season, poor midfield to striker linking, has not been addressed. And if we do buy anyone before the start of the season they'll have to hit the ground running. It'll be hard not to imagine a relegation scrap. 

That said, maybe the optimists from last season are right: maybe Shakey will continue where he left of before the Athletico game (ignoring the poor form afterwards, blaming injuries). Nonetheless, as it stands regarding recruitment, your favourite troll's argument that it'll be hard to recruit new players is in danger of coming true. Still, I hope the optimists are right!

The optimism I had a few weeks ago has waned.

The Iheanacho Image Rights/Agents/Buy Back saga has dragged on to the point that if/when he does arrive i'll hardly be jumping for joy. I can't get that excited about a player who if half decent is guaranteed not to be with us for more than two to three seasons. 

From what I've seen so far in pre-season without Mahrez we are severely limited, if he does go we need to get the proverbial blank cheque signed off pretty quickly to get a no haggle/we'll pay what you want signing in very quickly. I think they would put their faith in Gray instead of spending the cash though.

Pre Season and  Maguire looks solid but has the occasional mistake in him which will get punished, Iborra looks OK but nothing spectacular, Slimani is always going to need to take that extra touch and I can't see him suddenly changing his game at this stage in his career, we his what he is.

I just don't think we've actually improved the quality of the squad by any margin.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Archived