Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

On 9/10/2017 at 15:40, HankMarvin said:

What about judging him on the games of last season, after the new manager bounce seemed to diminish, finished poorly 

looked poor pre season

started poorly 

looks one dimensional tactically.

Probably too friendly with the players when it's time to crack the whip.

hope he turns it around but the club can't keep spending money and not moving forwards.

This, absolutely this.

It's like having Kelly back again.

Is it Shakey thats at fault or the real lack of quality in midfield, the Silva fiasco hasn't helped us . When recruiting new players you should always try and get a better player than you have moved on , we have recruited our fair share of lemons over the past couple of years , something we need to improve on massively to progress. 

On 4/26/2017 at 16:29, FireFox said:

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job? To be honest, I'm leaning towards "no" right now.

No doubt he has been the right man for "until the end of the season". No doubt he has been a great assistant manager over the years and knows and gets on with the players well. No doubt we would miss him if he left (which I think is likely if he doesn't get the job).

But the question is if should be manager next season, and I'm not sure he is a Premier League quality manager at this moment in his career. When we sacked Claudio and Shakey had us playing 442, pressing higher, et cetera, there was always going to be an improvement from the player and a reaction. The tactics were "back to basics" in a way, the players gave it all, and they got the job done against Liverpool, Hull, Sevilla, West Ham, Stoke, and Sunderland.

But our next three PL games? One point. Without resting players for Atletico. Arsenal and Everton are quality teams, fair enough, but did Shakespeare do anything that made it look like we were likely to win those games? We were 1-2 up against Everton at one point, but I'd argue that wasn't Shakespeare's doing. Yes, he picked the team and tactics, but it was "back to basics", it wasn't anything new or innovative from this Leicester side. Not that I'm expecting anything "new or innovative", but if all he has to offer are tactics already integrated into the team from Pearson and Claudio, then is he the right man for the job? What happens if we sell Mahrez or Vardy gets injured. Will he be able to change tactics to something else? ...

After the Arsenal defeat last season.

Here is where I think shakey got it wrong:

He should've brought gray and iborra instead of kingy and Marc by the start of the second half, the keeps your formation the same way and allows you to play for a goal, and when you hit the 80th minute mark, you bring in slimani in place of vardy/kelechi which doesn't effect your attacking strength negatively.

Bringing in shinji was a mistake, I would've understand bringing in iborra for kelechi to play a 3 man midfield, but that wasn't the right choice. He pretty much killed two subs right there

I can't help but feel that shakey sometimes brings certain players on just to keep them happy.

Edited by the fox

Players are too complacent and relaxed with their mate Craig in charge. The initial novelty/relief for the players of Ranieri going has worn off. 

Where's the motivation to bust a gut to win games? There isn't any the whole squad are already on long contracts on huge money and most have already won a title. 

I don't think the players would be intimidated enough by Shakespeare even if he offered them the hair dryer treatment. They wouldn't take him seriously, he will always be their lovable friendly mate.

It might be too early to judge Shakey, but one thing fans really don't warm to is negativity. We have a squad including a lot of class/ exciting players, but I tend to feel flat when I look at his team selections.

On another note, it's ok to concede control of the game when you play the top teams, but vs Hudds I think we need to get on the ball more and get our attacking players into the game. This requires some tactical flexibility.

I hope he turns it around, but I'm genuinely concerned that he's not the man to get us playing exciting football. That is what we we should be playing with the squad he has at his disposal!

Maybe a bit knee-jerk, time will tell...

1 minute ago, maddog said:

Players are too complacent and relaxed with their mate Craig in charge. The initial novelty/relief for the players of Ranieri going has worn off. 

Where's the motivation to bust a gut to win games? There isn't any the whole squad are already on long contracts on huge money and most have already won a title. 

I don't think the players would be intimidated enough by Shakespeare even if he offered them the hair dryer treatment. They wouldn't take him seriously, he will always be their lovable friendly mate.

Maybe it's time he set that beast of an assistant manager on them ....     Go on Shakey ! ...    Press the red button !

11 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Can't believe how much of you are calling for his head after 5 games and a decimated midfield. 

I'm not saying I have or know the right answer to this, but changing the formation and playing 3 in midfield may help. It's like we are winging it which of cause makes us look clueless.