Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

19 minutes ago, chicagofox said:

3 wins in 13 in the league.  And no, those 11 games that we didn't win were not all against top teams that we (for some unknown reason) expected to lose to/not to beat.

7 of the 13 were against the top 7

Spurs

Arsenal

Man City

Man U

Chelsea

Arsenal

Everton

6 were against the rest and that record is W3 D3... you know if we ignore all the other wins before your selection of 13 games.

15 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Id be interested to know what would change the mind of you guys calling for Craigs head.. 

Being in a top 10 or above position ?

A change in formation, closer to how you would do it? And if so IF he did that and we were still losing games, would that still be ok? 

Not trying to stir, just curious to what you think. x 

It's a mixture of things, he's very little track record to refer to when things are iffy to gain any assurance he could turn it around. But he could start by showing he's trying to seek to improve. His tactics and subs just make him an easy target.

He's unfortunately the fall guy for me in a whole host of changes I want this club to make. New chief exec, new DOF, head of recruitment, academy director, manager and coaching staff and a new blueprint. It's time to shake things up. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

It's a mixture of things, he's very little track record to refer to when things are iffy to gain any assurance he could turn it around. But he could start by showing he's trying to seek to improve. His tactics and subs just make him an easy target.

He's unfortunately the fall guy for me in a whole host of changes I want this club to make. New chief exec, new DOF, head of recruitment, academy director, manager and coaching staff and a new blueprint. It's time to shake things up. 

Totally agree, these are serious changes and should be something we should have looked at last season. I feel for Shakey for all the flack he is currently getting. Like you say - he is the fall guy. 

Judge him when 40% of the squad is replaced with his signings coming back from injury or waiting on red tape. We're judging inept football with inept past it players due to kelechi, Iborra coming back from injury, dragovic being integrated into the squad and silva waiting on Fifa. 

Edited by Heymister2015
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

This, this and this again.

Ive been saying for ages now, I have a hunch (that's all it is) that our club, having previously been run exceptionally, is no longer being run very well at all.

I believe the threesome of Pearson, Walsh and Shakey had pretty much control over all playing personnel. I would assume that no-one would even try to muscle in on this arrangement. Now this has gone, it looks to have all gone to shite.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

Judge him when 40% of the squad is replaced with his signings coming back from injury or waiting on red tape. We're judging inept football with inept past it players due to kelechi, Iborra coming back from injury, dragovic being integrated into the squad and silva waiting on Fifa. 

It won't happen. This main bulk of this XI and the formation will remain the same, it's a pipe dream to think otherwise. Also we're suffering a fair amount of injuries this season so don't be so sure we'll ever have a clean bill of health.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It won't happen. This main bulk of this XI and the formation will remain the same, it's a pipe dream to think otherwise. Also we're suffering a fair amount of injuries this season so don't be so sure we'll ever have a clean bill of health.

This is the main thing for me as I mentioned earlier, it seems to be a habit with city that we tend to stick to the status quo rather than shake things up, we take an age to integrate new signings properly (ie. Starting) and in some instances this takes years, literally. (Gray). I'm not sure we will see the likes of Iborra and even Silva and Iheanacho starting regularly for a while. It seems to be the club are more interested in investing time in the likes of King, Ulloa, Shinji. Other teams seem to target the players they want in the transfer window and once they're in, they're in. 

Fact is, the team that we built for an age, that won the league is aging, a little less interested maybe and whether we like to admit it or not, is starting to look very one dimensional. I'd like to see us starting making changes and investing the time in similar quantities to the money we have spent on new players. If we keep clinging on to that quo, we will eventually be wasting time, talent and opportunities. Same goes for other areas of the club/staff. We need a shake up. We spent so long building the title winning team, they achieve a remarkable success and the end goal has been met. I don't want us to be too slow to move forward, and too romantic with the past. 

Im willing to give Shaky a while yet, but as I said, I'd be very interested to see what starting 11 an independent newcomer would pick, with no emotional attachment to the current squad. I think it could look very different, and it does kind of excite me. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Babylon said:

7 of the 13 were against the top 7

Spurs

Arsenal

Man City

Man U

Chelsea

Arsenal

Everton

6 were against the rest and that record is W3 D3... you know if we ignore all the other wins before your selection of 13 games.

How could we be expected to get any more points against those caliber of teams?  It's almost like they're in a different league to us.  But they're not.

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I also agree with this. Unless some miracle occurs with Silva, we must eat what is on our plate.

There is nothing or nobody that will persuade me, having won the title two seasons ago, to go to the squad we have assembled since, is nothing other than bizarre.

We are relying at present on a 20 yr old kid as our main CM, with King and James sniffing around. This is James and King who helped us secure the Championship title as many as what? Three/four years ago?

We have Musa who isn't getting a look in, 30 mill Slimani who is just a bit part player and all the mess with Mendy and Mahrez.

This isn't progress. I'm sorry, but it isn't.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

This is the main thing for me as I mentioned earlier, it seems to be a habit with city that we tend to stick to the status quo rather than shake things up, we take an age to integrate new signings properly (ie. Starting) and in some instances this takes years, literally. (Gray). I'm not sure we will see the likes of Iborra and even Silva and Iheanacho starting regularly for a while. It seems to be the club are more interested in investing time in the likes of King, Ulloa, Shinji. Other teams seem to target the players they want in the transfer window and once they're in, they're in. 

Fact is, the team that we built for an age, that won the league is aging, a little less interested maybe and whether we like to admit it or not, is starting to look very one dimensional. I'd like to see us starting making changes and investing the time in similar quantities to the money we have spent on new players. If we keep clinging on to that quo, we will eventually be wasting time, talent and opportunities. Same goes for other areas of the club/staff. We need a shake up. We spent so long building the title winning team, they achieve a remarkable success and the end goal has been met. I don't want us to be too slow to move forward, and too romantic with the past. 

Im willing to give Shaky a while yet, but as I said, I'd be very interested to see what starting 11 an independent newcomer would pick, with no emotional attachment to the current squad. I think it could look very different, and it does kind of excite me. 

Sorry to go on, but also following on from this;

Our title winning season, something happened, actual unexplainable magic, everything just clicked in to place in some sort of orgasmic culmination of circumstance but:

I'm not keen on the football we are playing. What worked then, isn't working now and relying wholly on counterattack football doesn't seem to me to be a great strategy. One reason for that is we have been found out, teams are well wise to it now. The brand of football we are playing at the minute I find pretty painful to watch, the passing is atrocious, the movement is terrible, there is negativity creeping in to the game and even when we counter, it isn't what it used to be. I often watch Match of the day and afterwards think that we play some of the ugliest football in the league, it's so mishmash, hit and hope and incoherent. I often find it difficult to spot what the game plan is or what it is we are trying to get out of the game and out of the players. It hurts to say this, but I think it's true. 

Edited by SecretPro
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

That sure would make for a great topic and interesting debate. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chicagofox said:

How could we be expected to get any more points against those caliber of teams?  It's almost like they're in a different league to us.  But they're not.

You hope, you don't expect, if it were that easy those teams wouldn't be top 7. Sometimes you get the points Arsenal, Spurs, Man City, Liverpool last year wasn't it... most of the time you don't.

If this Silva fiasco is not resolved and we don't get him until January ( and then presumably needing a lot of time to adapt and get match fit )

then if we get a new manager in he's going to have to deal with an inadequate midfield for around two thirds of the season.... so what's to

say the new manager is going to do any better ? Shakey has been stitched up to be honest by the incompetence of the men in suits at Leicester. 

• Like 1

Just a quick question.. but can anyone see us going down this season? I know it's very early to ask that but I watched palace today who are in a shocking position, but thought they played some decent stuff at times.. I worry we have to find a new system, learn it and use our current crop to implement it. Whatever fear factor we still had last season is now gone.. 

I Think playing the top teams early doors has masked a bigger problem.

Many teams are now managing to play two strikers and still maintain three in central midfield - that's the conundrum for shakey to sort out. We could get away in some home games playing a midfield two but in general, we need to find a formation that gives us the extra man in the middle to match up with most of the opposition 

The variety of excuses in defence of Shakespeare tells a story in itself.

My problem with Shakey is he was appointed as a caretaker to steady the ship when Ranieri was sacked which was the right decision as he knew the players and the setup and seemingly had their respect.  When the season ended, so should this arrangement.  Because Shakey knows the players, he's being too loyal to them.

Seeing us play surrender football against Utd and Chelsea was not pleasing but at the very least understandable.  That shower of shit today was just embarrassing.  For all the bluster pre-season that Shakey was coming out with about wanting to push on in the league, now saying you'd take a point away at Huddersfield when it's actually 0-0 is pretty shocking and not what I would want in a manager.

He wont be sacked and we have to get behind the team as best we can, as fans that's our role.  However, with Shakey at the helm, it's going to be a relegation battle.

• Like 2

I actually dont feel too had about today. Its a point away from home, we could have won, could have easily lost

Shakespeare made the right subs and subs that had a positive effect, just a shame he was forced into taking Vardy off

Gray looked good and for me he needs to get to starting at some point. Not saying he needs to start every game right now, but needs to get more chances to get into the 1st team.

A front 4 of Gray and Mahrez, Vardy and Iheanacho would be great and once the midfield situation is sorted I still think we can do a lot better under Shakespeare: get more attacking players on the pitch and we will become more balanced