Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

1 hour ago, seenitall said:

Said he'd be gone by Xmas and he will be - he should never have taken the job and could have been prt of a back room dynasty like they had at Liverpool for decades but egos a funny thing....he'll be coach wherever Pearson eventually ends up (please God not here) and will be missed - tragic screw up by owners and him as well sadly. He ain't good enough.

If he's still here after xmas you still won't have seenitall . :ph34r:

• Like 1

Think our club is being mismanaged from the top down ( Rudkin )
Shakespeare remit was to save from relegation 
He did that - but ain't the man for job - shouldn't be cutting his teeth on job to get us back in Europe which the owners want - should of took charge of u23s
Spent a lot of money again 
Will give him the benefit of my doubt when everyone available for selection - another 5 games 
In hindsight had no choice to play king yesterday 
2 big home games coming - if Stoke can go to anfield & not lose I expect us to not lose too at home 

Or are my expectations to high

6 hours ago, Ricey said:

Judge him when he has the tools as his disposal.

When he signed Iborra he spoke about it giving us an option to play in different ways. This likely meant three in the middle, which would have no doubt been utilised a lot so far this season.

Instead Iborra has been injured, not to mention Iheanacho and Silva being unavailable.

I don't think he did much wrong yesterday to be honest. I think the issues we have run deeper than just the manager.

But there's nothing wrong with Iborra now, he had a full bill of health ...as confirmed by shaky- but the fact is he was adamant he would play a rigid non effective 4 4 bloody 2 and keep Iborra on the bench. All this talk about playing a different way only really works when you have a dynamic manager who has some idea as to what he is doing. Coach he may be, tactician he is not. What does Appleton do anyway besides stand there looking pretty with his flowery tats ?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

didn't he say he'd never wanted to be a manager until he was caretaker here? Could be wrong but I seem remember that

He might've done but things change. He could now believe he can the take the job and be successful.

I don't blame him for wanting it, ultimately he didn't appoint himself.

9 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

He still feels to me like he is acting as a caretaking manager at the moment.

We haven't changed as an attacking unit and we haven't looked to evolve the team in the way in which we go about that.

What's changed from last season?

Actually that's a really good way of putting it and I agree. He's just filling in and keeping things going as they used to be,  without an original thought in his head until the next guy comes in.

It's very sad really given his history with us but, the only results he'll get are when everyone is present and our team is more expensive and on paper better than the opposition, though like yesterday that isn't a cert is it either! Can anyone honestly hand on heart see us winning a game and afterwards saying that it was down to Shakespeare's reading of the opposition and his tactical nous? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

What happens if we get 4? lol

Part of him goes obviously - chop off a limb as a warning.

Think people are overreacting still - yesterday was abysmal as far as performance goes, but it could easily be an off day, bear in mind we dismissed Brighton easily. Couple more weeks against smaller sides playing like that though and serious questions would have to be asked.

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Actually that's a really good way of putting it and I agree. He's just filling in and keeping things going as they used to be,  without an original thought in his head until the next guy comes in.

It's very sad really given his history with us but, the only results he'll get are when everyone is present and our team is more expensive and on paper better than the opposition, though like yesterday that isn't a cert is it either! Can anyone honestly hand on heart see us winning a game and afterwards saying that it was down to Shakespeare's reading of the opposition and his tactical nous? 

That is such an unfair statement. Tactical he's made changes. Granted they haven't come off but you could see the logic behind it. Against Arsenal, Chelsea and even the United game he tried something different and it just didn't come off. These sort of changes seem bizarre because they don't come off but there is sense in the them. The Arsenal game is a good example. He brought Kelechi on because Arsenal were leaving gaps in behind, had Vardy latched onto one and found Kelechi free in the centre we would all be crediting him as a master tactician. Unfortunately, it went the other way with dumb, dumber and dumberer leaving a three men free at the back post. 

Intelligent players allow a management to be innovative. Unfortunate for Shakey is that a lot of aces in the pack have been unavailable for one reason or another. Whether Shakey is the man to take us forward is very much still up for debate but we are far better off than this time last year. 

The jury is out.

• Like 4

It just seems like we have lost all ambition. Players like Mahrez and King posting on social media that it was a good point at Huddersfield away.

Maybe it will be a good point when we look back - I was frustrated when we drew 1-1 at Villa in the title winning season for example.

Really hope this group can give us something to hope for. I want to dream again - the last 2 seasons have been incredible - can't face settling for mediocrity (without wanting to sound like a spoiled child).

I've got to be honest yesterday was the first time I started to lose a bit of faith. We were dreadful. Unimaginative, second best in every department and I don't know if anyone else thinks this, but I think we don't look fully fit. Where has the energy gone? Huddersfield were winning all the 50/50's. Closed us down like we used to do to sides.

As stated in another thread I was very disappointed in him saying he'd have taken a point at half time (with the score 0-0), regardless of how awful that first half was it shows a negativity that I didn't think he was about - what happened to the bloke who was disappointed with our performance after beating Sunderland 2-0?

Far too early to say get rid but I didn't like that from us one bit yesterday. Desperate to see him succeed but he's got to do better. With Silva supposedly now coming in and Iborra being available there are no excuses anymore.

• Like 3

Before the season started all by the most optimistic could see more than six points from these games. We've got four. And hopes of anything more than mid table was fairly unrealistic. And we're cruising above the relegation zone. His biggest test is getting the team back on track for the games to Christmas after these fairly large blows in quick succession. The remaining half season games may not be as difficult but if the team is shafted it won't matter. I hope he manages it but this is uncharted territory for him.