Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

On 16/09/2017 at 18:58, Buce said:

It's not 5 games though, is it? We were playing the same dross at the end of last season. 

Take away the 'new manager bounce' and what you have is relegation form. 

LLDDLWWLLDLWWLLD since the 9th April - W6 D4 L8

Not quite relegation form but abysmal fayre nonetheless, and I'm not forgetting the capitulation to Spurs in a hurry.

I was convinced the owners would go for a name with a record at the top flight. Maybe they tried and failed. Whatever, this was an abysmal choice then and he's a shitshow now...only one who has just spent tens of millions and failed to sign a single player who has made an impact.

They need to be breaking the habit of a lifetime and interviewing candidates in clandestine hotels, the owners need to be offering up a wedge to get someone of quality in now. But we won't. Again, there'll be a period with nobody at the helm before inviting Rob Kelly back.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

With Silva supposedly now coming in and Iborra being available there are no excuses anymore.

The big moments didn't go our way... It was Liverpool and we were expected to get nothing... It's only been 6,7,8 games... The referee... It was Mahrez's fault... Slimani... Rudkin...

There'll still be plenty of excuses for some.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

LLDDLWWLLDLWWLLD since the 9th April - W6 D4 L8

Not quite relegation form but abysmal fayre nonetheless, and I'm not forgetting the capitulation to Spurs in a hurry.

I was convinced the owners would go for a name with a record at the top flight. Maybe they tried and failed. Whatever, this was an abysmal choice then and he's a shitshow now...only one who has just spent tens of millions and failed to sign a single player who has made an impact.

They need to be breaking the habit of a lifetime and interviewing candidates in clandestine hotels, the owners need to be offering up a wedge to get someone of quality in now. But we won't. Again, there'll be a period with nobody at the helm before inviting Rob Kelly back.

Failed to sign a single player who has made an impact ?

Well Harry Maguire and Ineacho look half decent to me.

25 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Failed to sign a single player who has made an impact ?

Well Harry Maguire and Ineacho look half decent to me.

Has one sealed up the defence? No.

Has the other proven himself to be a free-scoring forward? No.

Three weeks on from the transfer deadline, when we spent £89million, have we improved as a side? No.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Our mentality is wrong at the moment and that has to come from the manager.  Our opening round of fixtures have been brutal with Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal (with Liverpool up next) but I sense that there was an air of expectation to lose those games, and we did.

Now look at Burnley, people might poke fun at Dyche but after their 1-1 draw away at Liverpool he said in his post match interview that nobody gave Burnley a chance to get anything from their tough start.  Except Burnley.  They backed themselves and beat Chelsea away and taken points from Tottenham and Liverpool.  They currently sit on 8 points.

We have mentally only played two games and got 4 points.

We (Shakespeare) have to be more positive. 

Far too positive  for this board re Burnley.  Ah but they shitstormed it at Chelsea and got lucky at Liverpool and Spurs.

Edited by suffolk fox

34 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Three weeks on from the transfer deadline, when we spent £89million, have we improved as a side? No.

Got to give them a bit of time. Surely. 

Iborra and Silva haven't played a minute for us yet either. 

• Like 2

Just scanning through the previous fixtures, as I read he'd won 3 out of 12 games, which I thought was wrong.

If I'm awake enough, since taking over march 12 th he's played 16 in the league, won 6, drew 3,lost 7 if my sleepy eyes are right.

Results are acceptable, but results since early stages of him taking over have nose dived a bit.

Edited by Monsell1976

3 hours ago, vanity said:

Christ mate. Look at the changes to the club. He wants a more possession oriented team, so he brought in a number of players who can do that. Unfortunately, Silva, Iborra, Dragivic, and Iheanacho have been unavailable for reasons unrelated to Shakey, plus we lost Drinkwater and Huth. 

How on God's earth could you seriously think he has had time to evolve the club? While missing six players who either would be starting or did start last season?

FFS have some patience and use your common sense.

There's a lot of merit in what you say and I get your point. Do you not think though that whilst waiting for those pieces of the jigsaw to fall in place, he could shuffle his pack and address certain tangible issues. A change of formation for example to counter the problem of our constantly overrun midfield. 

Whether Ndidi , James or King played in a 2, it hasn't worked but I can't personally fault their effort and yet despite that, each one of them have individually taken a bit of a slagging which is a bit unfair really. For the type,  mix and abilities of these players, they can't really be expected to complete the task set them. Despite their best efforts they can neither fully protect their backline or supply our talented forward players with suitable opportunities. 

There surely has to always be a plan B in formation in case of injury or even for mid game circumstances in order to nullify , contain or attack a given opposition due to prevailing circumstances on a given day. Players have to be fully briefed on such potential changes and fully aware, trained and comfortable with their own role within them. Shakespeare has been a coach down here for a long time now so you like to think that the latter would be a formality.

Whilst your points are entirely valid, Shakespeare and the team have to be prepared to change on a game to game basis until we are in a position to be able to field a regular unchanged side with a distinctive winning style of play like before but even then, sometimes tweaks have to be made.

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

Our mentality is wrong at the moment and that has to come from the manager.  Our opening round of fixtures have been brutal with Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal (with Liverpool up next) but I sense that there was an air of expectation to lose those games, and we did.

Now look at Burnley, people might poke fun at Dyche but after their 1-1 draw away at Liverpool he said in his post match interview that nobody gave Burnley a chance to get anything from their tough start.  Except Burnley.  They backed themselves and beat Chelsea away and taken points from Tottenham and Liverpool.  They currently sit on 8 points.

We have mentally only played two games and got 4 points.

We (Shakespeare) have to be more positive. 

Congratulations to Burnley. How did their positive attitude get on last season? United Lost, Everton Lost, Spurs Lost, Liverpool, Lost, Arsenal Lost, Man City Lost, Spurs Lost, Man City Lost, Arsenal Lost, Chelsea Lost.

It's wonderful to look at other teams results in isolation of a couple of games. But the reality of it is that they usually lose those games, just like most other teams. There will be games where we pick up results against the bigger clubs, but in the main we will lose. That's not negative, that's reality.

23 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Just scanning through the previous fixtures, as I read he'd won 3 out of 12 games, which I thought was wrong.

If I'm awake enough, since taking over march 12 th he's played 16 in the league, won 6, drew 3,lost 7 if my sleepy eyes are right.

Results are acceptable, but results since early stages of him taking over have nose dived a bit.

W8 D3 L7 I think from the moment Ranieri went, with the 7 losses being against top 7 teams.

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

I think Maguire has done wonders to our defence. Without him, I think our losses to Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea would have been by higher margins. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

There's a lot of merit in what you say and I get your point. Do you not think though that whilst waiting for those pieces of the jigsaw to fall in place, he could shuffle his pack and address certain tangible issues. A change of formation for example to counter the problem of our constantly overrun midfield. 

Whether Ndidi , James or King played in a 2, it hasn't worked but I can't personally fault their effort and yet despite that, each one of them have individually taken a bit of a slagging which is a bit unfair really. For the type,  mix and abilities of these players, they can't really be expected to complete the task set them. Despite their best efforts they can neither fully protect their backline or supply our talented forward players with suitable opportunities. 

There surely has to always be a plan B in formation in case of injury or even for mid game circumstances in order to nullify , contain or attack a given opposition due to prevailing circumstances on a given day. Players have to be fully briefed on such potential changes and fully aware, trained and comfortable with their own role within them. Shakespeare has been a coach down here for a long time now so you like to think that the latter would be a formality.

Whilst your points are entirely valid, Shakespeare and the team have to be prepared to change on a game to game basis until we are in a position to be able to field a regular unchanged side with a distinctive winning style of play like before but even then, sometimes tweaks have to be made.

Good post.

The most concerning aspect of the Huddersfield game was the lack of intensity / work rate particularly in the first half.

In this league no team can afford to play like that and think they will get a positive result.

Lets hope it's a one off and we are not suggesting that they are not playing for him by Saturday night!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Good post.

The most concerning aspect of the Huddersfield game was the lack of intensity / work rate particularly in the first half.

In this league no team can afford to play like that and think they will get a positive result.

Lets hope it's a one off and we are not suggesting that they are not playing for him by Saturday night!

Yes I agree and I also found it worrying that in his post match interview, Shakespeare was of the view that our midfield hadn't been overrun at all. He also thought that Huddersfield had played the same 442 tactics as us. Scowcroft in the studio could only say that he was bemused by his comments. 

There will no doubt be some changes for Tuesday's cup game. What an ideal opportunity to try something different tactics wise?

My gut instinct now says no, but I so hope I'm wrong as I really like the bloke.

Anyone saying he should be sacked though is being very silly, like anyone, he deserves the opportunity to prove himself and certainly with the squad at full fitness so he can implement the players he has signed.

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

My gut instinct now says no, but I so hope I'm wrong as I really like the bloke.

Anyone saying he should be sacked though is being very silly, like anyone, he deserves the opportunity to prove himself and certainly with the squad at full fitness so he can implement the players he has signed.

Some fans still want rid of Shakey.but it's Appleton that's the coach is it him that's at fault for how we are playing and does Shakey take advice from Appleton about who should play. My comment could be utter rubbish but let's not put all the blame on Shakey.