Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

4 minutes ago, melrose said:

But how long would he have kept the same side if his hand wasn't forced? ... Oka for a an injured was Ulloa was a decision that the tea lady could make tbf!

We don't know so why assume the worst? And it really wasn't that obvious of a decision, could've been Mahrez, Iheanacho, Musa or Choudhury.

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Hate to break it to you but we'll never be a regular top 6 side.

I'm baffled as to why people think it's possible on a regular basis. You go back through the last 20 year and you can count on about one hand how many teams outside the big 7 have actually crashed the top 6. And that was before Man City's billions and Chelsea before that. It's harder than ever due to their outlay. 

Every year that ticks by our win is going to look more and more mental.

• Like 2

On 18/09/2017 at 10:15, Swan Lesta said:

You were his head cheerleader 6 months ago?

Where's your Pom Poms now eh Dave?

lol 

Buried firmly up Creg's arse.

I never wanted him in the job full-time. May as well have got the dream team of Dowie, Ince and Sir Harry of Triffic in to do a job. Season's panning out exactly as I said it would as soon as the announcement was made: 1-0 to my prescience.

And to the other quotes from people:

"Oh, we should give them more time": No, fvck off. He's not just got the gig and they are fvcking professionals.

"Oh, he needed more preseason": Again, fvck that bollox. Horseshit concept of preseason being magical. It's almost October.

"X has improved us as we lost by fewer goals than we would otherwise have done.": Give me that man's drugs, he has had enough and I need them to cope with this crap.

9 hours ago, steflcfc said:

Think it was around the Ulloa change....the tv panned to Shakey,Appleton and Stowell deep in conversation, and my first thought was....that trio is vastly Inexperienced and just looked amatureish.

Yes, I saw that.. it was like a convention of blind squirrels looking for a nut. "I'll go that way you two go that way ok".

In all likelihood the culmination of this coming of great tactical minds  was probably a wholehearted bellowing out of the good old fashioned English chestnut "Get into 'em!"

45 minutes ago, NeilLCFC said:

With a heavy heart I have to finally admit to myself Shakey isn't the man to lead us forward. 

For me its not his relationship with the players that is worrying, it's his tactics and subs.

hopefully he learns quickly and things click like they did during the great escape 

I'm starting to feel that way too, sadly. Was hoping he'd be Pearson mark 2, but he's much more limited.

We were desperately poor first half and even when we got going second half, still only scored due to Liverpool's poor defence.

Still, I'm not going to judge until he has someone good to play with Ndidi.

• Like 1

Oddly, I have thought that he wasn't all along ..... But after last night changed my mind slightly.

He obviously played the two big men up front due to Liverpool's fragility at defending high balls ..... then at half time realised it was wrong, made changes, gave them a rocket and won.

1 minute ago, 5waller5 said:

Oddly, I have thought that he wasn't all along ..... But after last night changed my mind slightly.

He obviously played the two big men up front due to Liverpool's fragility at defending high balls ..... then at half time changed nothing, Leo got injured, gave them  a Shinji and won.

Edited for you (Just to wind Babylon up :))

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

He obviously played the two big men up front due to Liverpool's fragility at defending high balls ..... then at half time realised it was wrong, made changes, gave them a rocket and won.

I thought he was forced into a change due to Ulloa going off injured? 

I think whereas Pearson was too set in his ways and stubborn to change players/formations..  Shakey seems to be against change, out of lack of confidence or fear. 

I thought last night was the perfect time to try something different. We have struggled as a 4-4-2 for a while now and could really do with exploring some other formations.

We are always over run in midfield and having 2 CM's with one not being Kante, just doesn't seem to work on a consistent basis. We also have to play Okazaki for it to be successful and that means relying on Vardy for most of our goals, rather than having him and another capable goal scorer on the pitch. It worked well when Mahrez was scoring so often, but he looks unlikely to ever get back to those scoring days.

If he is set on keeping 4 at the back, then fine, but at least try a 4-3-3/4-5-1. 

I don't think he will change it anytime soon though and so I just hope Iheanacho is able to do the Okazaki role but also chip in with a load of goals too. 

We will also need N'didi to rediscover his form of last season and hope Iborra turns out to be a top signing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Babylon said:

I'm baffled as to why people think it's possible on a regular basis. You go back through the last 20 year and you can count on about one hand how many teams outside the big 7 have actually crashed the top 6. And that was before Man City's billions and Chelsea before that. It's harder than ever due to their outlay. 

Every year that ticks by our win is going to look more and more mental.

Apart from Southampton 

If Shakespeare plays 442 against Liverpool on Saturday we'll get hammered.

The 2 central midfield players are being asked to do to much.

King/iborra and Ndidi will struggle.

At half time against Liverpool in the cup I felt frustrated at shakeys inept tactics,

i called it early last year for Ranieri's sacking(November), I'm not quite there with shakey but for me time is running out because he stubbornly sticks with 442 when quite clearly needs an extra man in midfield.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, mod hero said:

Apart from Southampton 

Only 4 teams in the last decade have done it. Only two above 6th and only 1 above 5th... us.  Even the top 7 is a bit of a miracle if you aren't one of the big 7.

15-16 - Leicester 1st, Saints 6th

14-15 - Saints 7th

11-12 - Newcastle 5th

09-10 - Villa 6th

08-09 - Villa 6th, Fulham 7th

07-08 - Villa 6th, Blackburn 7th

06-07 - Bolton 7th

3 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

The only mistake was playing Ulloa imo. He made the necessary changes at half time and Wes admitted that Shakey tore into them a bit.

I have my doubts as I've mentioned but think last nights criticism was harsh

1 hour ago, 5waller5 said:

He didn't make any changes until Leo was concussed. 

4 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

The only mistake was playing Ulloa imo. He made the necessary changes at half time and Wes admitted that Shakey tore into them a bit.

I have my doubts as I've mentioned but think last nights criticism was harsh

He made 0 change at half time. Ulloa was subbed because of an injury and this around the 53th min.

15 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

He made 0 change at half time. Ulloa was subbed because of an injury and this around the 53th min.

Shakespeare got very lucky there! 

If Leodonkey Ulloa had stayed on for another 15/20 mins we would been behind by the time he was substituted.. 

Can't remember witnessing a worse performance by any LCFC player in my 50+ years of supporting the club... Calling him a Donkey is being unkind to a Donkey!.. 

I'm seriously worried that we have given this guy a new contract and that Shakespeare deemed it a good idea!!? 

Shakey is flying by the seat of his pants right now and think the writing is very much on the wall. 

I don't know if it's Shakey or if there's somebody else at the club who is influencing the way we play who needs to be given the boot.

For years now, we’ve been successful playing 4411. First with Nugent as the deep-lieing striker, then with Okasaki. But haven't we now had three managers (Pearson, Ranieri and now Shakey) who have all tried to replace our incredibly successful 4411 for an old-fashioned 442 with two out-and-out strikers? Coincidence? Or is there someone else at the club who wants to see us change the way we play, and insists on recruiting additional strikers.

We have spent around £80m on a constant stream of strikers  who just  can’t get in the team because none of them can play alongside Vardy: Kramaric, Musa, Slimani, Inanachoooe.

Every time we try and change the 4411, and drop Okasaki, things just go wrong. The whole team only works because of Okasaki’s desire to drop back into midfield, and support up front, and his ability to play between the lines. Nobody else we have can do that.

It’s also abundantly clear that we get the best out of Vardy when he plays with a deep lieing strike partner. First it was Nugent in the Championship, and then Okasaki in the Prem.

So. Why do we keep buying players so that we can move to a 442, rather than buying players who can give Okasaki a bit of competition for his place?

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Shakespeare got very lucky there! 

If Leodonkey Ulloa had stayed on for another 15/20 mins we would been behind by the time he was substituted.. 

Can't remember witnessing a worse performance by any LCFC player in my 50+ years of supporting the club... Calling him a Donkey is being unkind to a Donkey!.. 

I'm seriously worried that we have given this guy a new contract and that Shakespeare deemed it a good idea!!? 

Shakey is flying by the seat of his pants right now and think the writing is very much on the wall. 

I was shocked yesterday but personally do not want to pass judgement until he gets the full squad and pray that the Silva will be sorted out (very) soon.

A manager can have a bad day and let us see how will fare against that are more in our range. Someone here said that we'll know more at the end of october and I tend to agree.

That said, should he reproduce performances like yesterday then he's gone before january.

Lets just see over the next coming months how the team performs and grinds out results or not, we've have some bad tough starts and poor results due to school boy errors i.e. Not marking Rashford for it's opener and not only a dodgy ref decision v The Gooneys a few defensive errors that allowed them to get back in the game!!

Another game up against a Liverpool side who are struggling at the min on Saturday we need a strong first team out to try and dominate them an early goal would be a great start for us, Shakey needs to go back to basics and play the direct football we all know we can play to go at teams on the break!

Shakey knows he's under scrutiny from the owners and the owners will only take so much poor performances , I just think when he can put his first choiceb11 on that pitch week in week out and have continuance then I'm sure he'll be fine !!

Edited by justfoxes

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

Only 4 teams in the last decade have done it. Only two above 6th and only 1 above 5th... us.  Even the top 7 is a bit of a miracle if you aren't one of the big 7.

15-16 - Leicester 1st, Saints 6th

14-15 - Saints 7th

11-12 - Newcastle 5th

09-10 - Villa 6th

08-09 - Villa 6th, Fulham 7th

07-08 - Villa 6th, Blackburn 7th

06-07 - Bolton 7th

Please tell me you had to look that up and you didn't get it from memory?