Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HeroFox

Company Name - Idea's

5 hours ago, HeroFox said:

You pour it in.. I get what your saying, were not trying to save the world in one day. If ALL it does is get you to buy one 5L bottle of mineral water and decant it into a drinkable steel bottle each day, that saves the world of the TEN 500ml plastic bottles you would have bought, right?

Of course, don't take anyone's criticism to heart, I think what you are doing is great and we need more practical solutions to disposable plastic cups and bottles.

If you can combine the business with a reusable 5L bottle of mineral water and offer a collection and refill service then you might be onto something. The battle you will always be up against is convenience.

7 hours ago, HeroFox said:

You pour it in.. I get what your saying, were not trying to save the world in one day. If ALL it does is get you to buy one 5L bottle of mineral water and decant it into a drinkable steel bottle each day, that saves the world of the TEN 500ml plastic bottles you would have bought, right?

Indeed.  What sort of cap / nozzle / straw are you planning?  Must must must be clear and easy to clean with zero hidden wet mouldy bits.

Eg Camelback eddy.

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

Of course, don't take anyone's criticism to heart, I think what you are doing is great and we need more practical solutions to disposable plastic cups and bottles.

If you can combine the business with a reusable 5L bottle of mineral water and offer a collection and refill service then you might be onto something. The battle you will always be up against is convenience.

And the multitude of light reusable plastic bottles already on the market.

Why is steel better?

Transport for London have water vending machines in some of their bus stations. They sell plastic reusable water bottles for £2 and the chilled tap water is free. The bottles are branded in Tfl stuff. No idea if it makes any money though. Always a queue when I see one so obviously are popular with commuters 

55 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

And the multitude of light reusable plastic bottles already on the market.

Why is steel better?

49 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Lasts longer and is environmentally friendly, I would guess.

Yeah durability, no worries about leaching toxins - BPA - although I know most are BPA free now anyway and also easy to make double walled insulated stainless steel meaning your drink stays ice cold all day. 

The bottles are actually surprisingly light too. 

17 minutes ago, separator said:

Transport for London have water vending machines in some of their bus stations. They sell plastic reusable water bottles for £2 and the chilled tap water is free. The bottles are branded in Tfl stuff. No idea if it makes any money though. Always a queue when I see one so obviously are popular with commuters 

That's pretty cool. I don't see why that couldn't be a country wide thing if a few of the big transport giants/shopping centres/councils adapted it. 

Thanks for all the feedback on this thread, appreciate it! Even the sarcastic comments... :thumbup:

7 hours ago, HeroFox said:

Yeah durability, no worries about leaching toxins - BPA - although I know most are BPA free now anyway and also easy to make double walled insulated stainless steel meaning your drink stays ice cold all day. 

The bottles are actually surprisingly light too. 

Happy to trial one and give feedbck on the design, I use a bottle constantly.

On 8/2/2017 at 18:04, HeroFox said:

Manufacturing and selling stainless steel water bottles in an effort to replace peoples everyday plastic bottles. The aim is to reduce plastic waste in our oceans and planet while also encouraging the world to drink more water.

The two names I have come up with so far - 

Hydratee

Flaske 

HznmD073_400x400.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I really don't get this?

So into your local shop you go. Buy you bottled water coke or Pepsi and pour it into your stainless steel bottle. Oh look I have a plastic bottle to throw away.

Or is every shop going to have pumps like a petrol station.

Dead in the water.

I'm all for great ideas and this is not good idea and the execution would be nigh on impossible. Partly because a simple trawl of the internet will show you that there are countless multi walled, stainless steel liquid holding vessels available already and have been for years. Oceans full of plastic is the result of billions of pounds worth of manufacturing over recent years and for that to recede would take further billions of pounds worth of new products and many years of adopted use to help in a tiny way.

With many countries around the world still not having a satisfactory drinking water supply and water being the most vital requirement for human life, getting water to these nations quickly and economically by means of plastic vessels will always persist and currently, plastic bottles of varying volumes are the accepted method.

Selling a few metal water bottles from a laptop in your bedroom will not rid the oceans of plastic i'm afraid. I shan't bother touching on the perceived cleanliness of a multi use vessel if used for more than one type of beverage a day.

A better use of your thought process might be to research plastic "magnets" ( whatever they are of course!) that could be dropped into water and attract plastics to it and lifted and cleaned periodically. Probably impossible, but if the real thinking behind your idea was the contamination of the seas by plastic products and not just a few quid, then the mind is a powerful tool sometimes.

Just my tuppence worth of course.

P.s The better alternative would be to get manufacturers to supply metal/aluminium bottles with a metal screw cap. 

Never try to re-invent the wheel, just improve it.

Archived