Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Champions League 2017/18

Draw has just been made.

Hoffenheim host Liverpool in the play-off round as the pick of the ties and one of the toughest Liverpool could have got

Champions route

Qarabag (Azerbaijan) v Copenhagen (Denmark)

Apoel Nicosia (Cyprus) v Slavia Prague (Czech Republic)

Olympiakos (Greece) v HNK Rijeka (Croatia)

Celtic (Scotland) v Astana (Kazakhstan)

Hapoel Beer Sheva (Israel) v Maribor (Slovenia)

League route

Istanbul Basaksehir (Turkey) v Sevilla (Spain)

Young Boys (Switzerland) v CSKA Moscow (Russia)

Napoli (Italy) v Nice (France)

Hoffenheim (Germany) v Liverpool (England)

Sporting Lisbon (Portugal) v Steaua Bucharest (Romania)

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Champions route

Qarabag (Azerbaijan) v Copenhagen (Denmark)

Apoel Nicosia (Cyprus) v Slavia Prague (Czech Republic)

Olympiakos (Greece) v HNK Rijeka (Croatia)

Celtic (Scotland) v Astana (Kazakhstan)

Hapoel Beer Sheva (Israel) v Maribor (Slovenia)

League route

Istanbul Basaksehir (Turkey) v Sevilla (Spain)

Young Boys (Switzerland) v CSKA Moscow (Russia)

Napoli (Italy) v Nice (France)

Hoffenheim (Germany) v Liverpool (England)

Sporting Lisbon (Portugal) v Steaua Bucharest (Romania)

My predictions in bold.

• 2 weeks later...

Some say "you need to look back before you can go forward (be successful)".

Something Klopp hasn't appeared to have heard before..

It's the same vulnerabilities in their defence (such as poor marking and general clumsiness) that spoils their style-of-play overall.

Thought they rode their luck at times due to the above and also with that terrible Kramaric penalty..

Fox again offering more pretty-good football than one person can consume: Napoli v Nice, Olympiacos v Rijeka, Celtic v Astana.  Unfortunately Sevilla are the one game not being shown.

Eight “Champions League” near-qualifiers, and at most two who would be favored against us on neutral ground.

Celtic-Astana so far like watching a lower-half of the table MLS match.

How well do we all think Brendan has to do in the Champo league before he gets another shot at a big job?

Although their own league is easy he seems to have them making it look even easier. Of course the main test is Champions League but he does finally seem to be managing to attract players who could at least get them through a group stage. 

14 minutes ago, AjcW said:

How well do we all think Brendan has to do in the Champo league before he gets another shot at a big job?

Although their own league is easy he seems to have them making it look even easier. Of course the main test is Champions League but he does finally seem to be managing to attract players who could at least get them through a group stage. 

I think I read that Celtic can jump up to pot 3 depending on who comes through the qualifiers, so it increases their chances of getting through. Getting them to the last 16 would be a great achievement. There's no doubting how bad the other Scottish Premiership teams are, but Celtic's transformation since he arrived is impressive. 

I reckon he'll want to become a bit of a legend there and stay for 10 in a row before he moves on to something a bit more tasking. 

Edited by RonnieTodger

Just now, RonnieTodger said:

I think I read that Celtic can jump up to pot 3 depending on who comes through the qualifiers, so it increases their chances of getting through. Getting them to the last 16 would be a great achievement. There's no doubting how bad the other Scottish Premiership teams are, but Celtic's transformation since he arrived is impressive. 

I reckon he'll want to become a bit of a legend there and stay for 10 in a row before he moves on to something a bit more tasking. 

Suppose he's still quite early days of his own career too, plenty of time to wait for big chances. 

I'd imagine success dependent that Jose and Pep will be at the Manchester clubs for 3 or 4 more seasons, I can see him being an ideal replacement for Wenger so that could be a good option in two years. 

• Like 1