Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Champions League 2017/18

Just now, Finnegan said:

Vardy did have a better shots to goals ratio, I remember doing the maths after Michael Owen claimed Vardy wasn't a natural finisher. 

But that was more to do with Vardy being exceptional than Kane being poor. 

Kane isn't a world class footballer, he is over rated, his all round game is a bit average, but let's be fair the one thing he does exceptionally well is finish. 

Man can score from anywhere inside twenty yards and you'd consistently back him to do so. 

He's not quite Mauro Icardi, who can score about five times with one toe poke, but not is he Edinson Cavani who really does take about ten thousand attempts to score. 

But I'm not criticising him because he can score from anywhere, I'm actually agreeing with you on his all round game, because I'm saying he will always shoot. He might have to ability to score from 40 yards, but if there's a brick wall in the way it's going to be impossible and this is something Kane doesn't realise at times. The goal he scored v Arsenal in the infamous 13 minutes at the top of the table game was brilliant, he turned a player on the wing, created space and lashed it in the top corner from the edge of the box, but situations like last night are ones where he shouldn't be shooting, even if he is a brilliant finisher. You can be the best finisher in the world but you can't kick a ball through a solid object.

Liverpool's result, in a nutshell, just showed both their strengths and weaknesses - rather dramatically!..

Out of all the English teams in the competition still, I want Spurs to go the furthest (sorry) because of their more positive style-of-play and they don't tend to sit deep and not play what football is about.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Liverpool fans complaining of police violence in Spain. What a surprise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42082570

Couldn't find the thread we had on Spanish police but thought it was worth sticking in here instead.
I could be wrong but I don't recall there being any national media coverage when it was our fans on the receiving end.

Just now, ScouseFox said:

god it’s going to be a travesty if psg and man city don’t share the champions league this season, surely the two greatest teams of all time? 

This post pretty much guaranteeing they meet in the quarters and see out a 0-0* that goes to pens. 

*okay literally would never happen. Would be about 11-14

Just now, Finnegan said:

This post pretty much guaranteeing they meet in the quarters and see out a 0-0* that goes to pens. 

*okay literally would never happen. Would be about 11-14

hoping uefa realise how superior the two are compared to the rest of europe put together and fix the draw to keep them apart til the final 

12 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Maybe a little harsh, but I know the season we won the title he scored one more goal than Aguero and Vardy but took 40 or 50 more shots to do so. He does shoot a lot. And I have no issue with players taking on opponents trying engineer space to shoot, but situations like last night, tightly marked, back to goal, two teammaes free screaming for the ball who are ignored, I do. It's a situation Kane find a himself in a lot and I don't think he does well in those. He's a good player and theres little to criticise him on, but his playing in of teammates is a big one.

The numbers support this argument.

This table shows the top ten volume shooters, plus other notable attacking players (including Eriksen and the pissant who, presumably, would benefit most from a more passing-inclined Kane).

For the second time in three years, Kane is lapping the field in shots taken, while posting a mediocre finishing percentage.  Where he’s putrid is shots on target: only 14 of 64.  In other words, he has wasted more shots than the next most prolific shot-taker in the PL has even attempted.  Too many low-percentage shots which do not threaten the goal.

It’s only an 11 game sample.  But it’s looking like his efficient 2016-17 season was an outlier, boosted by ten goals in three beach-season outings against Stoke, Hull and us.

5a15e3cd41208_PLmarksmen.JPG.b844a8b5055085adc64d46bcee5647e5.JPG

Two interesting findings: 

- The whole Spurs front line suck at finishing.  The team conversion rate is under 10%  lol

- Vardy is actually converting at a higher rate than in 2015-16.  So many fewer attempts though ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

god it’s going to be a travesty if psg and man city don’t share the champions league this season, surely the two greatest teams of all time? 

Barcelona R.Madrid teams through all generations and eras had special teams, who actually brought the proof back home on several occasions.

So far PSG and Man.city have diddly-squat...

Then there was the Italian giants, even that Ajax side, from the cafe central of europe........

I presume you have been taken advantage of Amsterdam highs...yourself.

Or a teenager waiting to blossom...

21 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Barcelona R.Madrid teams through all generations and eras had special teams, who actually brought the proof back home on several occasions.

So far PSG and Man.city have diddly-squat...

Then there was the Italian giants, even that Ajax side, from the cafe central of europe........

I presume you have been taken advantage of Amsterdam highs...yourself.

Or a teenager waiting to blossom...

neymar on his own would beat all them teams that used to play in black and white. ajax ffs. these are the two best footballing teams of all time. don’t at me. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

neymar on his own would beat all them teams that used to play in black and white. ajax ffs. these are the two best footballing teams of all time. don’t at me. 

Thx, for confirming you enjoyed the caffs along the queys of Amsterdam...:D

36 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Worse than Vardy.

Edit, wait no it isnt'. It's slightly better.

Don't think there's anyone in Europe's top leagues with a better return on chances than Icardi is there? Be amazed if there are. 

Excluding some eighteen year old sub who's scored a toe poke with his one touch of a ball or whatever. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Don't think there's anyone in Europe's top leagues with a better return on chances than Icardi is there? Be amazed if there are. 

Excluding some eighteen year old sub who's scored a toe poke with his one touch of a ball or whatever. 

Gabriel Jesus.

Goal every 3 shots.