Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Champions League 2017/18

steve mcmanaman has been insanely, bizarrely critical of sevilla tonight. even in literally the last 2 minutes he had a very strange rant about them getting towards the united goal then keeping possession by going backwards, saying that was pathetic cos it’s not a threat, and followed that up by going mental at their striker for having a shot? it’s genuinely quite uncomfortable to listen to. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

steve mcmanaman has been insanely, bizarrely critical of sevilla tonight. even in literally the last 2 minutes he had a very strange rant about them getting towards the united goal then keeping possession by going backwards, saying that was pathetic cos it’s not a threat, and followed that up by going mental at their striker for having a shot? it’s genuinely quite uncomfortable to listen to. 

Probably got a bet on lol 

30 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

pretty sure he just said they've not had any clear cut chances as well. 

Before watching this I watched CSKA's Europa match, really to see how Musa did, Both teams gave the ball away so much and even though they created some great chances their finishing wasn't good, or their final ball was the wrong choice. I sat there and thought how well Leicester could do in the competition if that is the standard of play, we would take those lost passes and score goals. I also can't understand why Everton couldn't even qualify for the latter stages.Did I just happen to see a match that mis-represents the standard? Perhaps I'll watch the Arse match this evening for further verification.

I had a very long argument with my mate about this the other day, but do people think Man Utd's result was good, and do they think Chelsea's result was good?

Intrigued to see what you lot say because both me and my mate were adamant we were right.

On 22/02/2018 at 11:20, FIF said:

Before watching this I watched CSKA's Europa match, really to see how Musa did, Both teams gave the ball away so much and even though they created some great chances their finishing wasn't good, or their final ball was the wrong choice. I sat there and thought how well Leicester could do in the competition if that is the standard of play, we would take those lost passes and score goals. I also can't understand why Everton couldn't even qualify for the latter stages.Did I just happen to see a match that mis-represents the standard? Perhaps I'll watch the Arse match this evening for further verification.

CSKA Moscow who've not played for ages and Red Star Belgrade who aren't that good. Not as good as they were in 2000 anyway lol 

Just now, Dan LCFC said:

I had a very long argument with my mate about this the other day, but do people think Man Utd's result was good, and do they think Chelsea's result was good?

Intrigued to see what you lot say because both me and my mate were adamant we were right.

I would say that United's result was good but their performance was pretty abject. You'd expect them to win at home against a side who are much better at home than away.

Chelsea's performance was much better, but the fact that they now need either a score draw or to win in Barcelona would suggest it wasn't a great result. To stand any chance against against Barca you generally need to be in front going to the Nou Camp you'd suspect. 

13 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Forget performances, they're completely irrelevant after the fact. Nobody ever won anything for looking good. Just looking at outcomes: 

United's result was obviously pretty good. 

Can't stand watching Mourinho's teams but anyone suggesting the man doesn't know his way around cup football needs a word with themselves. 

Grind out a bore draw away from home, knick a win at home. We all know that, bar a miracle, United will win the home leg with a 1-0 in which they're never REALLY under threat. 

I'm not interested in the argument about how good their team is on paper vs Sevilla. Jose clearly saw it as a banana skin and did what he felt necessary. All these precious Liverpool fans can wank themselves silly about their big win and their Hollywood football but when they crumple to some proper side in the next round that can actually defend, they'll all secretly wish their gaffer was as savvy as Mourinho. 

Chelsea's result was shit. You win your home games, end of story. You definitely don't leave yourself needing a win (or two goals in a draw) in the Nou Camp, do you? That's just ridiculous. 

I really hope you weren't arguing that United were worse off. 

Edited by Finnegan

18 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

An away 0-0 is better than a home 1-1 but I think in the circumstances Chelsea will be happier than United.

United were quite capable of having their game wrapped up inside the first leg whereas Barcelona are Barcelona. For Chelsea to go into the 2nd leg still well in the tie is what they would have wanted when the draw was made.

lol looks like you're all on my mates side and this was my argument...

Man Utd - theirs for me isn't that good. It isn't a disaster either, but I don't think it's particularly good simply because of the away goals rule. My argument was quite simply that they haven't come out of that first leg any better than they went into it, and if they do go through, it's despite that first leg rather than because of it. The bookies back that up as well as their price to qualify has dropped slightly. If it wasn't for the away goals rule, I'd agree it's a decent result.

Chelsea - I also think theirs isn't that good in terms of progression. They haven't won, they haven't denied Barcelona an away goal. The onus is on them and if they win, again, it's despite the first leg rather than because of it. Again, the bookies back me up on what I said, that Barcelona's odds to qualify were 4/11 at the start of the week, and they're now 1/4.

Edited by Dan LCFC

Seems to be a day for big announcements from Global Football Governing Bodies! 

Champions League reforms

Top 4 from the Top 4 leagues (England, Spain, Germany, Italy) qualify automatically, no more 4th place going to a play off.

Games now staggered 6pm and 8pm kick offs (A La Europa League)

Slight curveball to the Qualifying though means that if we finish 7th this season or win the cup... we could end up having to qualify for the Europa League in a play off against a team that has dropped out of Champions League qualifying as they now get a second chance to qualify with europe through Europa

Edited by AjcW

Right, am I missing something here or is there now another Europa league spot?

if 5th and 6th now get automatic Europa league qualification, then if the FA cup and league cup are won by a champions league club then there's a spot for 7th AND 8th?

or am I missing something

Hearing the music still gives me goosebumps, and I still find it really hard to believe that we were part of it recently. I'm not sure that those days will be replayed in my lifetime, and I think we were all a bit spoiled. Even if we did make it again, I don't think the feeling would be quite so sweet. 

• Like 2