Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Champions League 2017/18

There’s being a bit gutted about what is, after all, only a game.

And then there’s being so incensed that you end up sending death threats.

Whilst you would hope (even if it was Leicester City in a similar situation) for 100% being the former, humans can be so abysmal that you just know there will be some of the latter...

:(

10 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

He's been sent death threats? That's ****ed up. 

But I wouldn't be ashamed of his teammates. This is the biggest game in their careers and they may never/probably won't get the chance again. So you can understand them being inconsolable to the point where they're immediately angry in the aftermath.

Not really. He hardly meant to throw the game, did he? If the mistakes were down to complacency or a lack of effort - and he was acting like he wasn't bothered - I could understand sending him to Cov. Heck, I've done that to twattish teammates myself in the past. But they were howlers pure and simple, he choked on the biggest stage there is and his mistakes were massively amplified because, as a keeper, your mistakes almost always have match changing ramifications. He didn't deserve the cold shoulder for that and, to their credit, the Real lot recognised that.

• Like 1

The people that send death threats are the people that don't go to games.

Karius went over to the Liverpool end last night and they were clapping him.

48 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

I'm not sure I could be so instantly forgiving if it was Leicester in the champs league final and our goalkeeper had just committed two howlers that cost us the trophy.

Of course, Kasper wouldn't make those errors.

Agreed. Kasper is definitely a big game player and rarely makes a mistake in those type of games. For example he saved two penalties against Sevilla

Edited by foxes21

This shouldn't distract people from the fact that Brendan Klopp actually signed Karius. He's had 3 years to sort out his keeper and defence and failed to do so  

• Like 1

Gary Neville's tweet has simultaneously upset journalists, Liverpool fans, Liverpool sympathisers and anyone who wasn't keen on him. It's absolutely magic and I love how people are howling into their internet echo chamber desperate to never see him on their TV screen again.

9 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Gary Neville's tweet has simultaneously upset journalists, Liverpool fans, Liverpool sympathisers and anyone who wasn't keen on him. It's absolutely magic and I love how people are howling into their internet echo chamber desperate to never see him on their TV screen again.

What was in the tweet?

8 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Journalists are a bunch of self righteous unbearable sanctimonious pricks. Constantly taking the moral high ground on everything but they are the first to slaughter and shame players/fans/managers/ when it suits them.

Good on Gary Neville for pissing them off.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tuna said:

How the fvck did that twat get on the pitch?

I was convinced it was the subs running on prematurely after a phantom whistle had been blown but then they wrestled him to the ground and thought ah. maybe not.

34 minutes ago, Koke said:

This shouldn't distract people from the fact that Brendan Klopp actually signed Karius. He's had 3 years to sort out his keeper and defence and failed to do so  

Yeah yeah we get it, you don't like Klopp. 

Couple of things tbf:

He's a head coach, not a manager. He has always said he works with what he's given, you may not agree with the DoF model but it's what they use. 

Karius was good enough to get them there good enough to get them top four. Man City won the league with Joe Hart and we won it with Kasper, both of whom are capable of that sort of **** up from a long shot. 

By and large their defence actually is a bit underrated, they're capable of shutting a team out when they need to - we've seen it on this run to the final. But their style of football is always going to leave them a tad vulnerable at the back. 

Last point, given the squad he does have, let's be fair it's a minor miracle they even got to the final. One world class player and a bunch of fairly decent ones that he has elevated. 

I dislike Liverpool intensely but win lose or draw last night, getting there was an achievement to be applauded not derided. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Which journalists have taken offence to it?

21 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

Ramos has just ordered some food at the airport cafe - An Egyptian sala-d to take out.

That looked like some sort of MMA move to me ...   the game changed at that moment.   It would have been a much closer match if that hadn’t have happened but tbf I think Real would have beaten anyone, even Man City on the night ...    they are impressive and haven’t won it 3 times on the trot for nothing ...

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah yeah we get it, you don't like Klopp. 

Couple of things tbf:

He's a head coach, not a manager. He has always said he works with what he's given, you may not agree with the DoF model but it's what they use. 

Karius was good enough to get them there good enough to get them top four. Man City won the league with Joe Hart and we won it with Kasper, both of whom are capable of that sort of **** up from a long shot. 

By and large their defence actually is a bit underrated, they're capable of shutting a team out when they need to - we've seen it on this run to the final. But their style of football is always going to leave them a tad vulnerable at the back. 

Last point, given the squad he does have, let's be fair it's a minor miracle they even got to the final. One world class player and a bunch of fairly decent ones that he has elevated. 

I dislike Liverpool intensely but win lose or draw last night, getting there was an achievement to be applauded not derided. 

Well, then he should demand better players from his DoF. Plenty of clubs work with that model and are actually successful. That same DoF have identified brilliant foward players but came up with complete clowns in defence like Moreno, Mignolet, Karius, Lovren etc. 

He assembled this squad (alongside his DoF). He's had 3 years to to do so. 

I'll admit he produces brilliant attacking football but coaches like Conte & Pochettino are superior to him, let alone Jose & Pep who are on a different level to him.

• Like 1

I don't really see how you can say Pochettino is a better coach than Klopp with a straight face, honestly. Other than you're probably fishing for a bite. 

Pochettino has won **** all. Klopp overhauled Bayern twice with a Dortmund side full of grafters that he also got to the Champions League final, a feat he's achieved twice with rank outsiders. Look at where Dortmund are without him. 

Poch, with one of the most financially stable clubs in European football, has achieved exactly nothing. Zip. Nada.

Not a league cup, not an fa cup, nothing. Squat. Don't think he's ever gotten Tottenham past the quarters of CL has he? Did they even get to the quarters? 

2 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

sergio ramos is an absolute hero of the game and of life in general. the man runs the show every week. from centre half. i love him. 

Doubt he's very popular in Egypt atm. lol

Edited by Finnegan

8 minutes ago, Koke said:

Well, then he should demand better players from his DoF. Plenty of clubs work with that model and are actually successful. That same DoF have identified brilliant foward players but came up with complete clowns in defence like Moreno, Mignolet, Karius, Lovren etc. 

He assembled this squad (alongside his DoF). He's had 3 years to to do so. 

I'll admit he produces brilliant attacking football but coaches like Conte & Pochettino are superior to him, let alone Jose & Pep who are on a different level to him.

Based on what criteria is Pochettino superior to Klopp? I can't even remember the last time he got to a final let alone won 1

Just now, Finnegan said:

Doubt he's very popular in Egypt atm. Lol

yeah and the best part is how little of a shit he will give when he receives millions more death threats than karius will. man just rocks his sunglasses out and gets on with it. 

10 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

yeah and the best part is how little of a shit he will give when he receives millions more death threats than karius will. man just rocks his sunglasses out and gets on with it. 

And his selfie stick. Pussy

6 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

And his selfie stick. Pussy

I think that one was given to him by a Real Madrid representative - probably something to do with a club video or social media experiment.

Still rather amusing, though.

16 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't really see how you can say Pochettino is a better coach than Klopp with a straight face, honestly. Other than you're probably fishing for a bite. 

Pochettino has won **** all. Klopp overhauled Bayern twice with a Dortmund side full of grafters that he also got to the Champions League final, a feat he's achieved twice with rank outsiders. Look at where Dortmund are without him. 

Poch, with one of the most financially stable clubs in European football, has achieved exactly nothing. Zip. Nada.

Not a league cup, not an fa cup, nothing. Squat. Don't think he's ever gotten Tottenham past the quarters of CL has he? Did they even get to the quarters? 

15 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Based on what criteria is Pochettino superior to Klopp? I can't even remember the last time he got to a final let alone won 1

Bit disingenuous that mate. Tottenham are a fiscally conservative club. Stable yes, but very conservative.

Poch took Spurs from a lower level. Consistently finishes above Liverpool. Lower wage bill. Lower net spend (up until the Countinho sale 5 months ago). Improves players in every position, not just attackers. Transformed Tottenham from 6th/7th dwellers to CL regulars. 

Pochtettino's failure is not winning anything which he gets lots of stick for to the point where it triggers him. But if I had a straight choice between these 2 to manager City I'd choose Pochettino without hesitation 

Rafa Benitez has won trophies as recently as 2013 but nobody would suggest Rafa>Poch with a straight face. 

Complete and utter dominance from Real Madrid.

I'd argued that Liverpool were nothing but a hype job and that proved to be correct.

When Salah went off their performance was absolutely appalling.  Without him I am adamant Liverpool wouldn't have come near the top 4.

If he leaves in the summer they are screwed.  Just as they were when Suarez left.

Edited by BlueSi13