Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Champions League 2017/18

21 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Did anybody else catch what Ronaldo said in the post-match interview?

Hinted at leaving Real in the summer.

Said he'd enjoyed playing for Madrid, in the past tense.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Bit disingenuous that mate. Tottenham are a fiscally conservative club. Stable yes, but very conservative.

Poch took Spurs from a lower level. Consistently finishes above Liverpool. Lower wage bill. Lower net spend (up until the Countinho sale 5 months ago). Improves players in every position, not just attackers. Transformed Tottenham from 6th/7th dwellers to CL regulars. 

Pochtettino's failure is not winning anything which he gets lots of stick for to the point where it triggers him. But if I had a straight choice between these 2 to manager City I'd choose Pochettino without hesitation 

Rafa Benitez has won trophies as recently as 2013 but nobody would suggest Rafa>Poch with a straight face. 

Liverpool finished 2nd, 7th and 6th under Rodgers. All with Suarez too.

The first objective for Klopp in his first full season (which was last season) was to get Liverpool back into the CL. And he did that as they finished 4th. There's no way that Liverpool squad last night should be anywhere near a CL final.

I like Pochettino as a manager but he's not better than Klopp for me.

Imagine being Phil Thompson saying that you'd rather have mane firminho over bale and benzema... 

Amazing goal by bale elevated by the occasion. He's unbelievable, one of my favourite players and I can't wait for him to come back to the premier league. As much as people like to slag Ronaldo off when all the talk is about you and your team mates scored probably the best champions league final goal of all time why the opposition keeper gave you two goals you're probably the best player ever. 

Really feel for Karius. As much as we all like to take the piss I can't imagine how shitty he felt after and is feeling now. It's a shame none of the players went to console him. Personally think it's extremely shameful of Henderson as club captain to not go to him. Regardless of his feelings he need Sri put his job as captain first. Just hope he gets the help he will undoubtedly need. He isn't a top keeper, not his fault. 

I thought Klopp was a breath of fresh air when he first arrived but the more I see of him the more I think he’s a bit of a fraud. 

I just think he overplays the enthusiasm card trying to be one of the lads, a bit of bantz , look at me I’ve got passion. I still think Liverpool are woeful defensively but it’s covered up by a decent midfield and a magnificent front three. 

I saw the tweet above earlier and I just thought of Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish etc and now they seem to have hired The Greatest Showman.

Just my opinion. 

38 minutes ago, Livid said:

I thought Klopp was a breath of fresh air when he first arrived but the more I see of him the more I think he’s a bit of a fraud. 

I just think he overplays the enthusiasm card trying to be one of the lads, a bit of bantz , look at me I’ve got passion. I still think Liverpool are woeful defensively but it’s covered up by a decent midfield and a magnificent front three. 

I saw the tweet above earlier and I just thought of Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish etc and now they seem to have hired The Greatest Showman.

Just my opinion. 

Their back 4 was excellent last night to be fair. I've come to understand the hype around van Dijk over the last few months, he's a fantastic defender.

41 minutes ago, Livid said:

Just my opinion. 

Times have changed mate ...    a lot ! ......   the fact he got to the final ...   beat Citeh, amongst others,  on the way ...   and apart from a fvckin dodgy keeper and a Kung fu opponent, might have won it ....   is what matters ...      respect.

2 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Imagine being Phil Thompson saying that you'd rather have mane firminho over bale and benzema... 

Amazing goal by bale elevated by the occasion. He's unbelievable, one of my favourite players and I can't wait for him to come back to the premier league. As much as people like to slag Ronaldo off when all the talk is about you and your team mates scored probably the best champions league final goal of all time why the opposition keeper gave you two goals you're probably the best player ever. 

Really feel for Karius. As much as we all like to take the piss I can't imagine how shitty he felt after and is feeling now. It's a shame none of the players went to console him. Personally think it's extremely shameful of Henderson as club captain to not go to him. Regardless of his feelings he need Sri put his job as captain first. Just hope he gets the help he will undoubtedly need. He isn't a top keeper, not his fault. 

It’s hard to imagine what Karius must be going through. The biggest club stage on the planet, millions of people watching and he literally lost his nerve...twice. I’m not sure he’ll ever get over this. His team-mates will be all sympathetic and understanding, I imagine, but I bet underneath they are all quite shocked.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s hard to imagine what Karius must be going through. The biggest club stage on the planet, millions of people watching and he literally lost his nerve...twice. I’m not sure he’ll ever get over this. His team-mates will be all sympathetic and understanding, I imagine, but I bet underneath they are all quite shocked.

Sorry mate ..   but can’t really start feeling sorry for a millionaire prem footballer that made a goof .

Edited by Countryfox
Spelling !! .. twice ... 3 pints and a bottle or 2 of wine later ...

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Heard someone say earlier that he's been receiving death threats..

At the end of the day, it's just a sport, and can be taken too seriously at times by certain individuals who believe it's be all end all in life etc.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

The first was pure naivety and to be fair to him there's been countless occasions where you've thought if the striker just stuck a foot out they'd get it but haven't bothered. 

The second one was the real kick in the teeth, seen it happen  a few times and go round the post. But when you get yourself a reputation it just seems to go in instead of just wide. Feel for the lad. Must really be the worst feeling in the entire game. 

I'm just gonna come out and say it - Everton are tinpot. Look at the state of this

They won a lot for a bit back in the day but that was a long time ago now. They're seen as a big club and all that because of history but **** me. The whingiest, most bitter and annoying club on earth.

Don't think you'd see any other city's second club going this far.

26 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I'm just gonna come out and say it - Everton are tinpot. Look at the state of this

They won a lot for a bit back in the day but that was a long time ago now. They're seen as a big club and all that because of history but **** me. The whingiest, most bitter and annoying club on earth.

you probably wouldn’t see many other city rivals going “that far” for a couple of reasons. 

have you met liverpool fans? ever? fu cking hell theyre horrific to be around when they’re not any good let alone if they ever won anything. 

everton have literally had nothing to celebrate for about 25 years. gotta enjoy it while you can, whatever it is. 

quite a a lot of them play up to the bitter tag, they’re not actually that bitter or that arsed but they know it winds everyone else up if they think they are. it’s all fun and games and i dunno why anyone would be bothered. 

everton are really rubbish and very irrelevant at the end of the day. they’ve won nothing in my living memory. 

11 hours ago, Koke said:

Well, then he should demand better players from his DoF. Plenty of clubs work with that model and are actually successful. That same DoF have identified brilliant foward players but came up with complete clowns in defence like Moreno, Mignolet, Karius, Lovren etc. 

He assembled this squad (alongside his DoF). He's had 3 years to to do so. 

I'll admit he produces brilliant attacking football but coaches like Conte & Pochettino are superior to him, let alone Jose & Pep who are on a different level to him.

Don't get me started on Jose. He's had a good record in the past but if you said to me you can have Klopp or Jose at Leicester, I'd take Klopp. Jose is the most boring, defensive manager you're likely to see. He did great with Porto, Chelsea at first, inter and Real and now he's not evolved with football and is turning into Wenger. Liverpool may have had defensive frailties but they have been entertaining to watch and clearly are a team heading in the right direction. I've genuinely found the other 19 clubs in the premier league more entertaining than  United this season. Given the resources and players Jose has at his disposal, they have  been utterly horrendous to watch for large parts of the season and many of my United supporters feel the same. And the fact the guy is a massive willy puller doesn't really work in his favour either. Jose rant over! 

4 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Cringey fat bast@rds need to lay off the pies. Lol

7 hours ago, Livid said:

Just my opinion. 

Could be worse, he could be as exciting as Puel.

8 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Yeah Everton have a tinpot mentality.  I accept that Liverpool fans are unbearable at the best of times but this is just weird.

• Like 1

I'm a bit surprised that the accusation of match fixing hasn't been brought up with regards to Karius. Not saying that it was, but such a scheme would have been incredibly easy to pull off undetected given the massive amounts staked on the CL final.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, brucey said:

I'm a bit surprised that the accusation of match fixing hasn't been brought up with regards to Karius. Not saying that it was, but such a scheme would have been incredibly easy to pull off undetected given the massive amounts staked on the CL final.

If Karius fixed that then he's wasted in football and needs to be in Hollywood. The guy was clearly distraught. 

The first one I can't particularly explain but as I said before, the second one has happened loads of times from Bale long shots with different keepers. Joe Hart got done with one in the euros against us where he just flapped a Bale free kick in to the net. 

It's an error and he should save it but the pace and movement the ball is hit with catches keepers out. I've seen it a number of times watching him play for Wales and Madrid. 

Jesus even when it's not Bale shooting, how many times have we seen Kasper flap like **** at a long shot? 

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If Karius fixed that then he's wasted in football and needs to be in Hollywood. The guy was clearly distraught. 

The first one I can't particularly explain but as I said before, the second one has happened loads of times from Bale long shots with different keepers. Joe Hart got done with one in the euros against us where he just flapped a Bale free kick in to the net. 

It's an error and he should save it but the pace and movement the ball is hit with catches keepers out. I've seen it a number of times watching him play for Wales and Madrid. 

Jesus even when it's not Bale shooting, how many times have we seen Kasper flap like **** at a long shot? 

For the record I don't think it was fixed, and agree that the second goal could have happened with other keepers. Being distraught could have just as easily been due to guilt though! It just struck me how easily it could have been done undetected, after having watched an excellent documentary on match fixing recently. There were a lot of factors that would have made this an ideal game to fix. Billions in total staked on the match worldwide, so large hundred million bets (especially on the favourite) would have raised zero 'irregular betting' red flags. Only one player to pay off, given the strength of the opposition, making a leak less likely. A player who perhaps had less to lose if caught out, not being the undisputed first choice and who might have been replaced in the summer anyway. A 50-100m payoff would be more than his entire career earnings. Apparently it already happens more frequently than we think in La Liga and Championship games, and refs can probably be bought fairly easily in European comps, looking at our Atletico game. Just seems surprising that none of the idiots making death threats have thought to suggest it.

• Like 1

Karius's first error was worse than the second for me. Bale's shot had power and spin, the power blew his hands apart on impact and the spin carried the ball forwards into the goal - he should've had firmer hands but it's not as bad as bowling straight out at Real Madrid's no.9 just five yards away.

Biggest moment is still the Salah injury. He was taken out by Ramos with that Judo style armlock drop n roll, Ramos tried a very similar move on Dani Alves earlier this year and got a yellow for it - he locks the arm and pulls away with his leg infront of the target forcing him over at speed and holds on tight when he hits the floor, maybe not to specifically dislocate anything but it's definitely more than just sticking one on an opponent. Liverpool lost almost all of their potency after and Real had Bale to bring off the bench lol meaning they probably would have won anyway, not that the spectacle was ruined with yet another German goalkeeper gifting Real a goal soon after half time.

How long is this Madrid dominance gonna last though, it's ridiculous they just keep doing it. Their bench would make the starting 11 of any team they come up against

On tactical injuries again, I remember a Cup replay against Man City years ago when we were playing in bright yellow and Lloyd Dyer was about to clap Yaya Toure - we had two players go off in the first half an hour after interactions with theirs and from that I just thought some players know exactly how to injure an opponent innocuously and will likely try it even more so if they don't respect them.

edit: just to add on Karius - I'm not calling matchfixing or whatever above, I do believe he is just that bad but there were no tears, he just pulled a funny face, no redness in his eyes or waterworks

Edited by SpazticChicken

Only got to the pub 25 minutes into the match so missed liverpools good start.

As much as Karius will take the blame for the Liverpool defeat it shouldnt be overlooked that it was quite possibly the worst champions league final display that I've ever witnessed.Liverpool could barely string a pass together after Mo went off. For the biggest game in Football it was quite embarrassing to see a team so hopelessly devoid of any composure on the ball. Compared to the build up to Real's 2nd goal in particular.

It would have fairly rankled with better sides like Atletico or Juventus for Liverpool out of nowhere to win with such an ordinary side.

Every so often Liverpool and Klopp have disaster written all over them. We went to town on them back in February 2016 and 2017 (we would have beaten almost everyone after the sacking to be fair) and the old problems reared their ugly head again.

It's astonishing for a club like Liverpool to have such a weak defence and goalkeepers. Not sure they will take advantage of this run. They didnt in 2014 and they could easily slip back into mediocrity again.

A bit disrespectful to Karius after but we weren't exactly welcoming back Kermorgant with open arms in 2010 come to think of it.