Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Best holiday beer.

20 hours ago, Samilktray said:

What's are the best beers when holidaying in Budapest? 

Went to the Grand Prix last weekend. Dreher is nice and it's local. Heineken, which is piss here is quite nice in Budapest as it's brewed in Hungary.

There are also craft beers in many of the bars. Most bars are small privately owned and traditional. We avoided the bigger places and found a nice welcome wherever we went. Have a good time.

Oh, and it's dead cheap. Between 700-900 Florints per 500ml. That's about 2 quid!

22 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Went to the Grand Prix last weekend. Dreher is nice and it's local. Heineken, which is piss here is quite nice in Budapest as it's brewed in Hungary.

There are also craft beers in many of the bars. Most bars are small privately owned and traditional. We avoided the bigger places and found a nice welcome wherever we went. Have a good time.

Oh, and it's dead cheap. Between 700-900 Florints per 500ml. That's about 2 quid!

Lovely thank you. Is the city good for any other alcohol? Any decent gin, cocktail or any other type of bars that you know of?

17 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Lovely thank you. Is the city good for any other alcohol? Any decent gin, cocktail or any other type of bars that you know of?

TBH I didn't notice any specific cocktail/gin bars. I got the impression that the more modern bars do cocktails and there are a number of places that have a variety of gins.

There's a pedestrian area with a main thoroughfare (traffic free), a bit like Las Ramblas in Barcelona. I can't remember what it's called (edit: Vaci Street or Vaci Utca) that has loads of bars and restaurants along it. Also the area around the Basilica is largely pedestrianised with lots of places to eat/drink and close to city centre  sights and shops. 

Aside from the GP we only had a couple of days to explore so we didn't get to many places other than the above.

Margaret Island in the centre of the Danube is nice, also traffic free so it's a pleasant walk around.

When we were there last week the temp was 40deg so be prepared if you're going soon.

Who are you flying with?

14 minutes ago, Parafox said:

TBH I didn't notice any specific cocktail/gin bars. I got the impression that the more modern bars do cocktails and there are a number of places that have a variety of gins.

There's a pedestrian area with a main thoroughfare (traffic free), a bit like Las Ramblas in Barcelona. I can't remember what it's called (edit: Vaci Street or Vaci Utca) that has loads of bars and restaurants along it. Also the area around the Basilica is largely pedestrianised with lots of places to eat/drink and close to city centre  sights and shops. 

Aside from the GP we only had a couple of days to explore so we didn't get to many places other than the above.

Margaret Island in the centre of the Danube is nice, also traffic free so it's a pleasant walk around.

When we were there last week the temp was 40deg so be prepared if you're going soon.

Who are you flying with?

Appreciate that, already earmarked a couple of places you mentioned. I go at the end of the month so it may have cooled down a little but I read September can still be very hot there. Flying with Ryanair I think 

Just now, Samilktray said:

Appreciate that, already earmarked a couple of places you mentioned. I go at the end of the month so it may have cooled down a little but I read September can still be very hot there. Flying with Ryanair I think 

We went with Wizzair. I was going to warn you, if that was your carrier, expect at least 30-40 mins delay each way. On the return the gate was open for boarding and about a hundred of us got through and onto the transfer buses only to be kept waiting in 40deg (more that that inside the bus) because our aircraft hadn't landed yet. No explanation, no apology,no invite to return to the aircon'd departure lounge. Plus cabin luggage that had got through on the way out was now being stopped and charged £45 extra for being oversized.

Beware of taxi scammers. 2000 Florints one way became 4000 for the same return journey.

On 05/08/2017 at 15:09, PAULCFC said:

Tsingtao in China.Sell it in a lot of supermarkets over here.Really good with a chinease meal and i'm not really a lager drinker.

Chin toweeellll decent i like it

On 05/08/2017 at 14:02, Izzy Muzzett said:

At home or on holiday, it's a Peroni every time...

Moretti just edges it for me. I recommend you get down to Sainsburys and try the new ones that are available. Inspired by regional brews. Siciliana and Toscana I think they're called. Around 5.8% The Toscana is amazing.

Poretti is another italian lager which is great, not seen much in this country. 

You used to be able to get it in Dos Hermanos on Queens Road. Not sure if you still can.

Tried the Pearl River(china) from morrisons....not a patch on Tsingtao!As you can tell i like chinease food and beer.As an aside i'd really recomend the chinease food shop on Melton St.It's just good to walk around not knowing what thing's are!

10 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

My absolutely favourite is Grimbergen Blonde. Also, Anything from Delirium in Brussels and Duvel is also lovely.

As an aside, favourite currents are Moretti and San Miguel. I went off Brooklyn, used to like it but it's a bit bitter for me now.

I wanted a quick drink on the way to the match on Friday and popped into the Polish offie on Upperton Rd. Any recommendations on beers to try that you've had from those stores? I didn't want to risk my one drink on one I wouldn't like, but I'd love to give some a go.

That's a very good question,as someone who walks from the Narbourough road side to the ground and would be interested in anything a bit different.:thumbup:

6 hours ago, Filbert_Ross said:

IMG_7955.JPG.a4d9261c0547a3605b786283565ce051.JPG

great beer sevred in Serbia

Oh yes.

Serbia, like most of the countries round there, have a load of really obscure, really good beers. And when it's served with pleskavitsa and home made chips and some random paprika dip thing and you finish the night with some homemade rakia it can't be beaten.

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Moretti just edges it for me. I recommend you get down to Sainsburys and try the new ones that are available. Inspired by regional brews. Siciliana and Toscana I think they're called. Around 5.8% The Toscana is amazing.

Poretti is another italian lager which is great, not seen much in this country. 

You used to be able to get it in Dos Hermanos on Queens Road. Not sure if you still can.

Poretti is pretty good, yeah. Good with pizza. M&S sell 'Italian lager' which I think is basically re-labelled poretti or menabrea. It's not bad.

On 05/08/2017 at 20:46, jonthefox said:

Cisk in Malta hits the spot.

lol I was literally about to comment that the worst is Cisk, haha. Terrible stuff. 

The Croatian one Vol named that I can't be arsed to spell is alright. 

Obviously for taste then the real answer is going to be something Belgian or German, depending on the time of year (hefeweizen in the winter, a nice Belgian golden ale in the summer), but you can get the best of most of those in the UK now. 

Probably my best beer drinking experience abroad was Prague. I laughed in my boss' face before I went because he told he I'd not be able to get a hangover there. Wasn't far off though, the purity of the local draught was just incredible, would be throwing them back and still up and raring to go the next day. Amazing what a difference it makes not having six million additives and preservatives in your beer. 

For sentimental value though it's got to be sitting on a bullet train with a few tinnies of these:

Yebisu_920-x-920.jpg

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Archived