Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Harvey Barnes- Barnsley (loan)

1 hour ago, ronnup said:

It comes down to minutes on the pitch in competitive football. He'll get more of that on loan, so it works. 

Exactly. The debate about whether he should be in the first team probably wouldn't even be a discussion if it wasn't for the promise he showed in his previous loan spell at MK Dons where he had the chance to show what he can do. I kind of hoped he'd be in the first team set-up as well but another loan spell makes sense. He's shown he can more than cut it in League One and now the challenge of playing at Championship level will surely be a really good test for him.

Can't speak for all but I can for some.

The lads in the U23s want to go out on loan. Harvey has moved up a tier and will (hopefully) play against 22 big teams with massive history and great support. Burtons the only side that doesn't fit that profile.

Did him no hard at MK and James no harm at Barnsley.

Not sure if there's a shortening clause. Possibly should be. 

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Your missing my point. He would be better of training with our first team and understanding what we are about instead of playing a bit part in a relegation campaign for Barnsley.. Other EPL teams have 19 year olds in their squads.  

Who says he will play a bit part? It's the first game of his loan spell... give him chance for goodness sake...

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

I thought u23' played 90 minutes? Look this is just my opinion. It appears this young man has something 'special' and I personally believe we should have kept him here. 

I can't agree with that at all. This time last year hardly any Leicester fan had heard of him, when he was picked against Porto I'd never heard of him but still knew the names of most of the regular U23's.

He's 19 with about 20 games at League One level, he's not really getting any game time here. If he can go to Barnsley and stand out then we may have a player on our hands but he's progressing. In the last 12 months he stood out at L1 level, lets see if he can do similar this season in a far higher standard in the Championship. 

Edited by Gerard

37 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I can't agree with that at all. This time last year hardly any Leicester fan had heard of him, when he was picked against Porto I'd never heard of him but still knew the names of most of the regular U23's.

He's 19 with about 20 games at League One level, he's not really getting any game time here. If he can go to Barnsley and stand out then we may have a player on our hands but he's progressing. In the last 12 months he stood out at L1 level, lets see if he can do similar this season in a far higher standard in the Championship. 

Difference of opinions.  just fed-up that the younger talent here is not really ever given much sort of a chance.. No matter how the old guard play, they still seem to get picked.. Gray and Chillie will get pissed off eventually ( or should I say more pissed off).

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Hopefully there will be a clause or something that if he isn't being played he'll be brought back

I think Barnsley looked after James very well... Im confident they will do the same with Barnes....

5 hours ago, Gerard said:

If you follow the form or watch the U23s you would of heard of him

3 hours ago, MPH said:

I think Barnsley looked after James very well... Im confident they will do the same with Barnes....

Exactly. He will play at Barnsley and they did a great job with James. He's only 19 did well in L1 let him have a bash at the championship and then if he does as well there try and get him in our squad.  A player settling like Dele Alli did is rare and Alli is a bit bigger.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MPH said:

With you on this but even to the point that James has had a say in this deal. I would expect the club to have talked to a senior pro that's just returned from a loan. His advice knowledge of the club could have a huge impact on Barnes's future development.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2017 at 22:02, Ric Flair said:

It's just frustrating as every level he's played he's instantly scored goals and there's a feeling had he been thrown in he'd probably have done it in the PL as crazy as it sounds. Got no issue with him being loaned out but why he did t give him any minutes in pre-season is bizarre.

It's hardly encouraging but then if Shakespeare knew he was likely to be loaned out why would he use him ahead of those he knew would be lining up for us.  . 

2 90min appearances. Waste of time.

Shove him in the PL squad.

Alli was 19/20 when he started playing regular at Spurs. What's the difference.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We're two games into the season for goodness sake, how about you give the player time to adjust to his new surroundings and players. Plus time for them to take a look and see what he offers in training

IF he doesn't end up getting minutes there, then you have to ask the question why.  If he doesn't then he certainly isn't going to be getting them here because our squad is vastly superior.

The hype around our youngsters is beyond laughable. What the difference between Alli and him, well for starters one might be vastly better than the other. The comparisons are just ridiculous, just because they were both on loan to a league one team doesn't instantly make them the same.

Barnsley suffered a lot in terms of losing their best players over the past year and I know a lot of their fans who want creativity. Barnes was superb at MK Dons - okay the division below - but two 90min appearances aren't what we're looking for atm. They won last night so I doubt the line up will change now.

My comparison to Alli was stupid I admit that, as Alli is one of the best players in the Premier League, just couldn't think of anybody else. I wouldn't call it hype around our youngsters, I'd just like them to be given a chance. The only clubs that actually dare to chuck young players in are Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal - probably because they've not got a lot to lose compared to us (they won't be caught in a relegation battle anytime soon). Walker-Peters got MOTM for Spurs at the weekend, at 20 years of age and I don't even think he's been on loan anywhere.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Barnsley suffered a lot in terms of losing their best players over the past year and I know a lot of their fans who want creativity. Barnes was superb at MK Dons - okay the division below - but two 90min appearances aren't what we're looking for atm. They won last night so I doubt the line up will change now.

My comparison to Alli was stupid I admit that, as Alli is one of the best players in the Premier League, just couldn't think of anybody else. I wouldn't call it hype around our youngsters, I'd just like them to be given a chance. The only clubs that actually dare to chuck young players in are Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal - probably because they've not got a lot to lose compared to us (they won't be caught in a relegation battle anytime soon). Walker-Peters got MOTM for Spurs at the weekend, at 20 years of age and I don't even think he's been on loan anywhere.

Whilst I do not disagree entirely it might just be the case that Walker-Peters is better than Barnes?  Chilwell, Gray, Iheanacho and Ndidi are all 21 or under and getting game time so I don't think anyone can say we WILL NOT play younger players if they are good enough.  I would love our team to be full of young players, brought through our academy but very few teams to this consistently and it seems to me that, at 19, some time on loan cannot be a bad thing surely?  Who would you drop in order to play him?

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

He's potentially got about 55 competitive games he can play for them, we're 2 games into that. Lets not forget he joined them about 5 days ago, you can't expect a kid to waltz into their starting 11 having probably only have 1 or 2 training sessions with his new teammates. It's completely unrealistic to even expect him to be starting yet.

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

They don't chuck any old youngsters in, they chuck in top talent. That's because they either buy top quality young talent or have a vastly superior youth setup. We just don't have that and it takes decades to get that.

You're correct, we've found it hard to bring players through because we've constantly been involved in one battle or another where the fans just wouldn't accept blooding youngsters who aren't good enough. People would go nuts.

I think it is hype, as I keep repeating they get a chance every day in training. If they aren't showing themselves as the best option, then they aren't going to get picked. It's as simple as that. If Barnes was ripping it up in training and looking better than a large percentage of others, he'd still be here. Unless we all think the managers are morons who flat out refuse to play their best players.

Spurs were left with little choice because they sold their right back and their second choice was injured. That's the only reason he played and I'm sorry, but nobody watching that game would have awarded him man of the match normally. That was purely about the fact he was a talking point, not the performance because others were head and shoulders above him. Didn't disgrace himself at all, but the MOTM was nonsense.

3 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Whilst I do not disagree entirely it might just be the case that Walker-Peters is better than Barnes?  Chilwell, Gray, Iheanacho and Ndidi are all 21 or under and getting game time so I don't think anyone can say we WILL NOT play younger players if they are good enough.  I would love our team to be full of young player, brought through our academy but very few teams to this consistently and it seems to me that, at 19, some time on loan cannot be a bad thing surely?  Who would you drop in order to play him?

Oh totally, I do agree, I just hate this whole "they don't play for us which means they are shit" thing. I like that players go out on loan to get time - especially if the clubs are going well in the league - but we're looking for more than 90min appearances (yes I also take Babylon's point that it's only two games in). 

I dunno about dropping anybody in particular but we do lack creativity and goals which he seems to possess (so did Lawrence too, at that level, but the club obviously thought he wasn't good enough). 

Just now, Fox92 said:

Oh totally, I do agree, I just hate this whole "they don't play for us which means they are shit" thing. I like that players go out on loan to get time - especially if the clubs are going well in the league - but we're looking for more than 90min appearances (yes I also take Babylon's point that it's only two games in). 

I dunno about dropping anybody in particular but we do lack creativity and goals which he seems to possess (so did Lawrence too, at that level, but the club obviously thought he wasn't good enough). 

Aye, I think we are on the same line of thought and I think Babylon's main issue is with people (not you) who spvnk over anyone who is young and came through our academy and is suddenly the savior of our team and then get p1ssed at management for not playing them.  There really does seem to be a tendency for players to get better the less they play.  Hopefully he has a successful loan spell, comes back and cements a place in our team.  Good luck to him. X

• Like 2

Genuine question, apart from Kante, who have we sold in the last ten years that came back to bite us in the ass?  Which of our many world class youngsters that we moved on would you want back?  I ask this because there must be empirical evidence that selling youngsters is always a bad idea in order for people to react to a 19 year old going on load quite so oddly?

X

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Genuine question, apart from Kante, who have we sold in the last ten years that came back to bite us in the ass?  Which of our many world class youngsters that we moved on would you want back?  I ask this because there must be empirical evidence that selling youngsters is always a bad idea in order for people to react to a 19 year old going on load quite so oddly?

X

Chris Woods?? May be??

• Haha 1