Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonny_wright

Andros Townsend...

2 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Ok, he maybe doesn't have the magic of Mahrez but he is undoubtedly better defensively and if he can be effective going forward more consistently than Mahrez is then he has the potential to be a very good signing.

All that says to me is less goals for and against, a better at the defensive stuff player is the last thing we need to replace Mahrez with we have 10 other players who work hard on that side. How many attacking creative players do Arsenal and Man City have for example? We only have one and he gets grief so not chasing back constantly. Mahrez throughout his time with us was often the difference in games. Townsend isn't going to create as much as Mahrez or have three players marking him when he received the ball, creates space for others. But so long as he's helping out Simpson who doesn't cross half way anyway. :unsure:

I genuinely cannot get my head around people who think this would be a bad signing.  From a football perspective he has two good feet, is quick and actually has a decent head on his shoulders when on the pitch.  He has the skill to turn a game when motivated.  I was surprised we weren't in for him when Newcastle sold him to Palace last season, he'd have been a major upgrade on Schlupp for a similar price.

Maybe there is more to him than meets the eye though.  Clearly fell out of favour at Spuds and Poch never picked him again after some training incident and then being uninspired at Palace.

If his heads in the right place he would genuinely push an out of form Mahrez for a spot in the first 11 and maybe get him to raise his game if he stays.

22 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

All that says to me is less goals for and against, a better at the defensive stuff player is the last thing we need to replace Mahrez with we have 10 other players who work hard on that side. How many attacking creative players do Arsenal and Man City have for example? We only have one and he gets grief so not chasing back constantly. Mahrez throughout his time with us was often the difference in games. Townsend isn't going to create as much as Mahrez or have three players marking him when he received the ball, creates space for others. But so long as he's helping out Simpson who doesn't cross half way anyway. :unsure:

3 people marking him... he struggled to get past one man marking him on Friday.

Townsend and Albrighton both got more assists than he did last season in the prem.

29 minutes ago, daverollo said:

I genuinely cannot get my head around people who think this would be a bad signing.  From a football perspective he has two good feet, is quick and actually has a decent head on his shoulders when on the pitch.  He has the skill to turn a game when motivated.  I was surprised we weren't in for him when Newcastle sold him to Palace last season, he'd have been a major upgrade on Schlupp for a similar price.

Maybe there is more to him than meets the eye though.  Clearly fell out of favour at Spuds and Poch never picked him again after some training incident and then being uninspired at Palace.

If his heads in the right place he would genuinely push an out of form Mahrez for a spot in the first 11 and maybe get him to raise his game if he stays.

You want to know why people dont want us to sign him? Just look how many clubs hes had in x amount of years then add his goals to assists then goals to games ratio in there and you have your answer.

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

3 people marking him... he struggled to get past one man marking him on Friday.

Townsend and Albrighton both got more assists than he did last season in the prem.

Still he did pop a corner straight onto Vardy's noggin and got some decent link up play and had a shot saved albeit missing. It seems Mahrez needs to be 11/10 every week as he attracting is far too much negativity, leaving may end up being a relief. He rarely had any forward passing options on Friday and any other player would have struggled to make a mark on the game with the attention he gets.

Townsend would be a great addition to the squad.

4 minutes ago, dibbdroid said:

Still he did pop a corner straight onto Vardy's noggin and got some decent link up play and had a shot saved albeit missing. It seems Mahrez needs to be 11/10 every week as he attracting is far too much negativity, leaving may end up being a relief. He rarely had any forward passing options on Friday and any other player would have struggled to make a mark on the game with the attention he gets.

Townsend would be a great addition to the squad.

A 5/10 would have been nice, he was rubbish. Putting in one good set piece doesn't hide how poor the rest of it was.

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

A 5/10 would have been nice, he was rubbish. Putting in one good set piece doesn't hide how poor the rest of it was.

Trouble is, most of the people slating Mahrez are probably the ones who don't see much wrong with splashing £40-£50 million on Sigurdsson, and you're only going to get the same from him.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Trouble is, most of the people slating Mahrez are probably the ones who don't see much wrong with splashing £40-£50 million on Sigurdsson, and you're only going to get the same from him.

Sigurdsson is one of the hardest working players in the league. Even on a bad day, you know you'll get a shift.

14 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He wasn't that bad but is increasingly becoming an easy target. It needs to stop. There were poorer elements on Friday yet a number of fans near me were happy to slate Mahrez at every turn. Same at Man City last season when he was the most likely creative source in the game a number of 'fans' verbally abused him for the whole 90mins.

He can do no right at the moment and if you consider, despite his spotlighted shortcomings and naivety for allowing his agent to release crass statements, Riyad is still one of the best players we have. Turning him into some sort of fall guy isn't likely to get the best out of him and it's becoming increasingly dull.

9 minutes ago, dibbdroid said:

He wasn't that bad but is increasingly becoming an easy target. It needs to stop. There were poorer elements on Friday yet a number of fans near me were happy to slate Mahrez at every turn. Same at Man City last season when he was the most likely creative source in the game a number of 'fans' verbally abused him for the whole 90mins.

He can do no right at the moment and if you consider, despite his spotlighted shortcomings and naivety for allowing his agent to release crass statements, Riyad is still one of the best players we have. Turning him into some sort of fall guy isn't likely to get the best out of him and it's becoming increasingly dull.

He can do right, he just needs to perform. He played well at City second half... if he'd played like that on Friday I would be praising him.

Don't chuck me into a group of people who get a bee in their bonnet and then just slate people without foundation. I call what I see on the pitch and he was constantly losing the ball too easily, wimping out of challenges and generally being ineffective.

When it comes to wingers, I would much rather we look abroad.

There is a wealth of foreign talent that's far cheaper than what England-capped Townsend would cost.

Not to mention better too.

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He can do right, he just needs to perform. He played well at City second half... if he'd played like that on Friday I would be praising him.

Don't chuck me into a group of people who get a bee in their bonnet and then just slate people without foundation. I call what I see on the pitch and he was constantly losing the ball too easily, wimping out of challenges and generally being ineffective.

The point is that regardless of what he does, at the minute it has no effect.

The blanket wall of negativity towards Mahrez is creating a stigma which is becoming increasingly overwhelming, proven by the fact this post is about Andros Townsend, yet people still have to write sh|t about Riyad

34 minutes ago, Babylon said:

This.

We had to listen to the same nonsense last season with people not understanding the difference between 'title winning Mahrez', and the one we've witnessed for the last 12 months.His game and therefore end product have dropped off a cliff.

Him kicking a ball into the box from a corner which Vardy managed to convert on Friday doesn't mean he played well (he and Wes were shocking), anymore than him scoring a few penalties did last season.

Anyone claiming Mahrez is now indispensable is not living in the reality of his performances of the last year or 50 odd games.

Shakey needs to grow a pair and bench him; otherwise he's going to look very foolish having made various claims in the close season he wasn't going to pander to RM.

7 minutes ago, dibbdroid said:

The point is that regardless of what he does, at the minute it has no effect.

The blanket wall of negativity towards Mahrez is creating a stigma which is becoming increasingly overwhelming, proven by the fact this post is about Andros Townsend, yet people still have to write sh|t about Riyad

The reason Mahrez is being brought up is in answer to posters who still believe that we getting decent displays from him!

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

lol

Gotta love FT sometimes. You post what you think is right and there's ALWAYS some smart ass around to post stats or video to completely disprove you. Ie. To make you look like a dick.

I wonder why this happens to you Colin... ;):P

25 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

The reason Mahrez is being brought up is in answer to posters who still believe that we getting decent displays from him!

Which pretty much sums up my point, I didn't say he was decent, I highlighted the good rather than the bad and the point he needs to be extra ordinary to be considered average.

2 minutes ago, dibbdroid said:

Which pretty much sums up my point, I didn't say he was decent, I highlighted the good rather than the bad and the point he needs to be extra ordinary to be considered average.

So he has to be very ordinary to be considered average? That seems quite fair :P

41 minutes ago, shen said:

When it comes to wingers, I would much rather we look abroad.

There is a wealth of foreign talent that's far cheaper than what England-capped Townsend would cost.

Not to mention better too.

Agreed.

No idea though what's happened to our recruitment guy / scout Marcia?

Plus, Wilf aside our foreign recruitment recently has been shall we say, shit?

Archived