Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Motorway lessons for learner drivers confirmed for 2018

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

You could do u-turns and people were seen picnicking at the sides of the m1 when it first opened in Leicestershire. You could get in and out of the LFE Service Station without going on the motorway, it was the go-to place after all the pubs shut at 11 in the City.

Indeed. You could probably take a horse and cart down the M1 in those days without it causing undue problems or distress. Not sure there is any real answer nowadays other than get Google to drive the cars. It would at least remove the selfishness, impatience and idiocy.

41 minutes ago, davieG said:

You could do u-turns and people were seen picnicking at the sides of the m1 when it first opened in Leicestershire. You could get in and out of the LFE Service Station without going on the motorway, it was the go-to place after all the pubs shut at 11 in the City.

My parents were friends of some farmers just north of Lutterworth. They'd sold some of their land for the M1 to be built, and as a kid I went sledging down the embankment from their field.  This was in the early '60's. 

12 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

The easiest roads on the whole network.

absolutely. occasional spots across the country getting onto motorways is a bit touch and go, but once you're on, you drive in a straight line and occasionally overtake people if you want. pretty sure a child could drive from where I get on the m1 in leeds to where i get off before fosse park on a match day. one 90 odd mile straight line. 

1 minute ago, ScouseFox said:

absolutely. occasional spots across the country getting onto motorways is a bit touch and go, but once you're on, you drive in a straight line and occasionally overtake people if you want. pretty sure a child could drive from where I get on the m1 in leeds to where i get off before fosse park on a match day. one 90 odd mile straight line. 

Except for all the nutters on there not just the middle lane hoggers but those that drive as if the road belongs to them and everyone else is trespassing and there's a lot more of them.

I can only see this being a good thing. The amount of times I've sat as a passenger with the driver evidently petrified of the sheer prospect of getting on the motorway, education can only help.

Archived