Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
billyn88

Real Ale/Craft Beer in Leicester

When I return to Leicestershire it's normally just to see family and watch Leicester.  Having a chance to actually pop into town the last time I went I couldn't believe just how much it had changed.  

Having become a beer snob since I left many years ago I'm now intrigued as to what the city centre ale and beer scene is like.

I'm keen on anything from standard real ale (love Tiger) right up to the ponciest of craft beer (I recently paid £12 for a 330ml bottle, thankfully I loved it).  I know there's a brewdog but can anyone recommend any other good places for beer?

The Ale Stone on Aylestone Rd is indeed excellent.

But in town it has to be The Blue Boar (sister pub to The Ale Stone) on Millstone Lane.

A great selection of ales and good atmosphere.

Broood on King Street is ok too. Slightly better than The KIng's Head next door in my opinion.

The Criterion has gone downhill a bit but worth a visit occasionally.

Some good'uns mentioned there, also found a decent pint in The Salmon when I went in.

Swan & Rushes always had a great selection, hoping beyond hope it gets reopened.

Has anyone tried that fancy beer shop at the top of Welford Road by the way? Looked like a solid amount of choice in there.

All the above mentioned. The Kings Head is sort of my regular local. I go in one door Broood/Kings Head and out the other to go next door. May go up Ale Stone today. Bus stops outside. Go in the West End Thursday before the Real Junk Food Project. Also use the Salmon. Nice Sunday Roast.

Edited by Rincewind
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Some good'uns mentioned there, also found a decent pint in The Salmon when I went in.

Swan & Rushes always had a great selection, hoping beyond hope it gets reopened.

Has anyone tried that fancy beer shop at the top of Welford Road by the way? Looked like a solid amount of choice in there.

Brewklopedia is great, spent about £30 on 5 or 6 bottles but I enjoyed them 

For craft beer, Leicester is woeful. For cask it's decent. All the better pubs mentioned here - of what my favs are the Salmon and the King's Head. There's decent bars in Queen of Bradgate, the Exchange but you'd be hard push to call them pubs. Personally find Brood disappointing unless you are a cask head. Brewdog is as good as it gets craft. 

We've had three good establishments close in the past six months. 

Seems some use the same places as me. Our paths may have crossed and not known it. Off to the Ale Stone now. Later Broood. On Tuesday they have a quiz but not for serious quizzers. The prizes are rubbish and its just for fun. Its free to enter. They also have a quiz on a Thursday which is more serious with some scrutinising every question and answer.

Edited by Rincewind

I've been more on the craft in Liverpool recently (see Dead Crafty Beer Company if you're ever in town) but it does look more ale dominated in Leicester which is fine.  I'll at least have a look in brewklopedia on welford road.

I saw they were stocking the omnipollo Buxton ice cream series which are super expensive but so so good.  The bottle I mentioned in the subject opener was Texas Pecan Ice Cream, 10% and smooth as anything.

4 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Also...

www.coolasleicester.co.uk/clarendon-park-set-for-new-micro-pub

This will be very decent if their gaff in ashby is anything to go by and Queens Road is already where we start boozing, superb

see you there when im next in town hunnie pie xxx