Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
billyn88

Real Ale/Craft Beer in Leicester

16 hours ago, Countryfox said:

You had a couple Rince ?? ...

No. My cursor has the habit sometimes of moving to a different place. I don't look at the screen when typing so I could write a whole paragraph before noticing. Annoying.

The real Ale Classroom is OK but a little out the way for me. Once there there is nowhere around to go.

Just now, Rincewind said:

No. My cursor has the habit sometimes of moving to a different place. I don't look at the screen when typing so I could write a whole paragraph before noticing. Annoying.

The real Ale Classroom is OK but a little out the way for me. Once there there is nowhere around to go.

Home?

3 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

:D ...   I'd save that one for the next AA meeting ...   

I know i mention this every time the subject of Real Ale crops up, but i can't recommend the GCR Beer festival enough! Hop on and off the steam trains, beer tents at most stations along the way (over 70 guest ales and ciders on offer) and its only 4 weeks away now!

15 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I had a pint of something in Brewdog the other week and it was the worst beer I'd ever drank bar none, something about the gaff puts me off regardless and i never know what it is.

I agree in terms of atmosphere. The pitch is a bit off. Some of the better beers are in their fridges. However, it's the only place in the city what gets the likes of Cloudwater and Beavertown on tap. I'd rate Cloudwater has the best independent British brewery currently - and to be fair, some of their lagers are superb.

There is a Ale Fest at the Broood this weekend. Some rare beers on from new breweries. Steve Thatcher the landlord travels eround the country to collect them himself. Bit of a ticker himself and his stuff when it comes to beer. Check out their FB page and website.

17 hours ago, billyn88 said:

Cloudwater get a lot of press and deservedly so but a lot of equally good breweries in my opinion still just under the radar.

Kernel and Buxton are two of my favourites in the UK at the moment.

Was annoyed when Kernel closed their tap in Bermondsey. Top brewery. Agreed regards Buxton - Brewdog have got their Ice Creams in at the moment.

As you are in Liverpool, I'll say Ship and Mitre is in my top five pubs in the country. Hoping to visit Magic Rock when Leicester play Huddersfield and Wylam when we go up to Newcastle.  

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Was annoyed when Kernel closed their tap in Bermondsey. Top brewery. Agreed regards Buxton - Brewdog have got their Ice Creams in at the moment.

As you are in Liverpool, I'll say Ship and Mitre is in my top five pubs in the country. Hoping to visit Magic Rock when Leicester play Huddersfield and Wylam when we go up to Newcastle.  

Love the ship but dead crafty just outdoing it at the moment for interesting beers and great service.

Love magic rock, the wife is Coeliac so their fantasma is a God send, they did a tap takeover in dead crafty a while ago, superb.

Yeah gutted about kernel, lived in London and three years and never got round to it!

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP!

Went to brewklopedia after the Brighton game and now enjoying the gorgeous mikkeler green gold IPA I bought.  Not cheap but you get what you pay for with mikkeler.

Also got a wild beer wildebeest (11% espresso stout) and Buxton/omnipollo rocky road ice cream Porter in addition to Thornbridge Jaipur X.  That shop is a real gem if you haven't already been 

I went this arvo with the other half and picked up some gems, the Mile End hospital porter and a Kriek the pick of the bunch, got a tonne of magic rock tins while i was there in all.

Delilah has a reasonable little beer selection too, bought a Bristol beer Factory Milk Stout there and it was so bloody good, I love stouts and porters.

• 1 month later...

Anyone been in the pop up Tres Bien place where Loaf used to be on Braunstone Gate?

Went in on Saturday, was absolutely dead, only take card payments and serve beer in plastic cups. Decent choice though and reasonably priced. Bit half arsed inside (probably because it's a pop up) but it's alright if you fancy a swift one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/10/2017 at 16:42, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Anyone been in the pop up Tres Bien place where Loaf used to be on Braunstone Gate?

Went in on Saturday, was absolutely dead, only take card payments and serve beer in plastic cups. Decent choice though and reasonably priced. Bit half arsed inside (probably because it's a pop up) but it's alright if you fancy a swift one.

Hoping to go before Man City at home - it’s location is letting itself down as their beer choices have generally been excellent. 

• 2 weeks later...

New gaff appears to have popped up in St Martins in an old deli, seems Brewklopedia are involved as well as Framework brewery. Four beers on as well as stuff in the fridge, three of the taps are Framework though which is a shame as I find their beer to generally be absolute arse.

Good to see more places popping up, though.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been in the Brewdog in Leicester? We have a couple in Leeds that I use, but never been to the one in Leicester and wondered if it was worth trying.

If any of you do happen to be Brewdog fans, you might be interested in their latest crowdfunding campaign. Essentially for an investment of £47.50 you can buy 2 shares in the company and being a shareholder brings benefits (such as discount in the bar, online and free beer in their bars on your birthday). Not for everyone I know but thought it was worth sharing.

If you are interested please use my referral link below. Essentially 5 referrals=a free pack of beer for me. 

https://www.brewdog.com/equityforpunks?referred_by=R440907

I used to go to the one in Leeds when I was at uni there, think it opened 13/14 and I enjoyed it for what it was but since I've found their beers very boring and bland. They haven't kept up with the "craft beer" (I hate that term) movement they helped develop, really. So many breweries making better beer now, in general I find their's just strips your pallet to the point it's sickly. I'll only really go in there if they have something I want to try which is rare now. There's also one geezer in a cap who works in there who looks like he'd rather be doing anything else. Real miserable dick and it puts me off.

The new gaff in town in St Martins is decent but they only serve Framework and only on draft, and Framework beers are shit. Proper crap. Good range of bottles and cans in there though which I enjoyed and the guys that work there are nice.

If anyone hasn't been yet I'd really recommend the Queens Road Tap that opened a month or so back. Tolgate brewery, same fellas that have done the gaff in Ashby - great range of beers, five cask, four keg, all interesting – and nice staff as well, happy to dish out tasters. My best new pub in town this year by some distance and great if you love your beers

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I used to go to the one in Leeds when I was at uni there, think it opened 13/14 and I enjoyed it for what it was but since I've found their beers very boring and bland. They haven't kept up with the "craft beer" (I hate that term) movement they helped develop, really. So many breweries making better beer now, in general I find their's just strips your pallet to the point it's sickly. I'll only really go in there if they have something I want to try which is rare now. There's also one geezer in a cap who works in there who looks like he'd rather be doing anything else. Real miserable dick and it puts me off.

The new gaff in town in St Martins is decent but they only serve Framework and only on draft, and Framework beers are shit. Proper crap. Good range of bottles and cans in there though which I enjoyed and the guys that work there are nice.

If anyone hasn't been yet I'd really recommend the Queens Road Tap that opened a month or so back. Tolgate brewery, same fellas that have done the gaff in Ashby - great range of beers, five cask, four keg, all interesting – and nice staff as well, happy to dish out tasters. My best new pub in town this year by some distance and great if you love your beers

I have to admit I tend to be more of a lager drinker than an ale drinker, but I do enjoy a nice craft lager, although I am no beer snob and there is certainly a time and place for mainstream beers (matchdays being one!). 

I quite like Brewdogs Kingpin lager, and I find the company overall refreshing. It’s nice to see a company treat their staff well, giving their staff a percentage of profits as well as the same percentage to charity. 

I suppose when you are growing at a rate of 100% year on year, as Brewdog is doing, it was always going to face pressures that ultimately result in a slight change in their beer. I think their biggest challenge in the next few years will be growing while maintaining that ‘small time’ brewery feel. I don’t envy the management team on that task! 

• 2 weeks later...