Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Plans being drawn up for Leicester Eastern bypass

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Well, you could always retire to Spain, Webbo...

:whistle:

Last time I looked, Labour ran the City Council.

Im in Spain, they've already got no Webbo allowed and Webbo out banners ready.  Seriously, there is alot of ant Brit sentiment in Spain these days

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

You're right but

The project is being drawn up by Leicestershire County Council, the city council and officers at Midlands Connect.

I would have thought there would be funds from central government for this too.

Deffo, it's a scheme which reaches as far as the M5, local council's input would be minimal beyond routing

4 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Im in Spain, they've already got no Webbo allowed and Webbo out banners ready.  Seriously, there is alot of ant Brit sentiment in Spain these days

I'm sure you must have seen a bad translation. They probably meant to say "welcome webbo, the Gareth Bale of tourists".

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Well after seeing the route of the new bypass, I'm going to have to change my name from  'CountryFox'  to  'LivingUnderAFookinBigRoadFox' ......       :(

Sell sell sell!

5 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Basically a bloke shouted that out during a Harborough Council planning meeting the other week when a load of new homes for Glen were approved.

i'd argue far too many are being built there but i'm not sure i'd compare it to a national tragedy. 

6 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

As somebody who lives in Enderby and commutes to Glenfield every day, this is a very welcome idea. The M1 southbound approaching J21 is horrendous most days coming home.

Also, as a millennial property renter, more housing is always good news.

That being said I doubt I'd be too pleased if I lived in nearby villages...

Funnily enough I'm in Narborough and commute to Glenfield also. Every day when I set off for home I'll check the roads on google maps but I know a decent back route to Narborough and Enderby. Go from Glenfield, to Ratby, to Desford, then the crossroads to home. I don't think it's ever once took me over 25 minutes. While motorway or ring road will often take me 20ish, they can take the piss whereas the same can't be said for the other.

Living in any village these days its like playing Boppit to stop all the shite housing developments and random roads to nowhere.

The best one happening and approved is the 7000 houses being built on the stretch of A5 near rugby where the old radio masts were.

Problem is there is no new infrastructure going into the Rugby area to support this, the m1 or rail station.

More seriously, that route goes too wide. Would be a massively long road to nowhere leaving you still with potential long trips into town on busy roads to get to the likes of Knighton, Evington and Wigston. It needs to swing tighter, inside Houghton and Great Glen.

Could ruin the Wistow Maize Maze.

11 hours ago, Webbo said:

This is good for me really as it means everything is an easy drive from where I live. The Western Bypass has improved things massively, now another new road in the opposite direction will help no end. By the time it's built though I probably won't be far off retired.

10 hours ago, Webbo said:

I'll have to work until I'm 90 if the tories stay in power!

:whistle:

If it takes as long as the Great Glen bypass to get the go ahead we will all be dead not retired.

1 hour ago, m4DD0gg said:

Living in any village these days its like playing Boppit to stop all the shite housing developments and random roads to nowhere.

The best one happening and approved is the 7000 houses being built on the stretch of A5 near rugby where the old radio masts were.

Problem is there is no new infrastructure going into the Rugby area to support this, the m1 or rail station.

Isn't that all part of the DIRFT expansion? Lots of new warehouses and a rail link but all geared around freight. The 7000 houses probably included as an after thought.

10 hours ago, boots60 said:

So because a few motorists get held up for a bit near the hobby horse roundabout the landscape of a good chunk of east & south Leicestershire & it's villages will be ripped into.

Joni Mitchell got it right.

I live in Syston and drive down that route a fair bit currently during rush hour. To be honest, it's not even that bad compared to other areas. A6 exit can get quite bad at times, but it never jumped out at me as something that needs another bypass to fix it.

9 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

More seriously, that route goes too wide. Would be a massively long road to nowhere leaving you still with potential long trips into town on busy roads to get to the likes of Knighton, Evington and Wigston. It needs to swing tighter, inside Houghton and Great Glen.

Could ruin the Wistow Maize Maze.

But it needs to be wide to reach the green fields to build houses on right next to it because the land will be cheaper. The new owners can then believe they've moved into the countryside as they breather in the toxic air drifting across from the new road.

I know there's a need for more housing that people can afford but do they really need to build them so close to bypasses and ring roads?

1 hour ago, Simi said:

I live in Syston and drive down that route a fair bit currently during rush hour. To be honest, it's not even that bad compared to other areas. A6 exit can get quite bad at times, but it never jumped out at me as something that needs another bypass to fix it.

What time do you use it? I use it most mornings and from as early as 6:15 am it can be queuing to get on the M1.

Just now, Strokes said:

What time do you use it? I use it most mornings and from as early as 6:15 am it can be queuing to get on the M1.

Until recently I used to hit the Hobby Horse at about 7:30 each day. Granted southbound does tend to be worse.

I think this is a good idea.  The roads in Leicester are a nightmare, especially getting to and from the motorway.

I accept that it's always a shame when countryside gets built on but the bypass looks to be over a large area, allowing for house building that could be done in a manner that is not so dense and can be spread around (that's my hope anyway, rather than the build as many houses onto a field as possible approach we seem to always see).

I worked in Oadby this morning. There's only 2 ways to get there from where I live, through town, up London Road or through Northfield's,Coleman road way. Both congested, both  creating fumes for the people living along the route. This road could really help.

11 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I worked in Oadby this morning. There's only 2 ways to get there from where I live, through town, up London Road or through Northfield's,Coleman road way. Both congested, both  creating fumes for the people living along the route. This road could really help.

I drive the missus to work in Thurmaston, and the route I take is via Gartree Rd, Shady Lane, Goodwood Rd, Colchester Rd, Hungarton Boulevard.

20 mins, tops.

Archived