Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Safe Standing Roadshow

Safe standing - time to act

1 hour ago, orangecity23 said:

Would be great if the Government or anyone against safe standing could explain what the difference between the current setup below

1D21433200000578-4626772-image-a-57_1498

and this

JS114227295.jpg

is which makes the second one sooooo much more dangerous despite the fact it is exactly the same thing with a slightly taller seat rail there to stop people falling over.

Eagle eyed viewers may realise that the second picture also looks **** all like this

b0b5e489f114e0435c46583908150133.jpg

Because some of the other features of the past which made "standing" dangerous are missing from the present day, such as

• Giant fence at the front to trap people
  • Unreserved standing, stand where you feel like
  • Tickets sold on gate with no idea how many people are already inside and where they are
  • Insufficient amounts of entrances or emergency exits
  • Weak rails 10s of feet apart the only protection from crushes
  • Far too many tickets sold for the amount of space available

Excellently argued.

Safe-standing is not the same thing as traditional terracing.

That misconception needs to be knocked on the head any time we see it spring up.

10 hours ago, Harry - LCFC said:

Excellently argued.

Safe-standing is not the same thing as traditional terracing.

That misconception needs to be knocked on the head any time we see it spring up.

The most annoying thing I hear said about this subject is "we can't afford to go back to safe standing". We've never had safe standing in England, we can't 'go back' to it. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 21:59, Mr Weller said:

It's not gaining momentum; most fans simply don't care.

As for the 60+ chap that was in favour he is the exception that proves the rule.

We've all got better things to think about 

OK, I'll bite. Like what?

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:23, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Council election imminent by any chance?

Or has sotton council got special powers.

10 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but there is a petition as well:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/207040

Yep, not the best worded petition but it's gained some great momentum and people seem be be throwing their weight behind it, so let's get signing! 

Still think they'd be better off trying to sell the idea of high seating. It's the words standing and safe that puts doubt in blind to the cause peoples minds and the counter argument is always going to be that it's safer to sit than stand if you disregard the technicalities, which is what decision making people do.  

Whoever it is in UFS who produced that statement above needs to go back and think long and hard about their use of grammar, writing statements like that will get you absolutely nowhere, at our club or with the powers that be.

You need to be diplomatic and respect the others sides views while arguing yours, not write words like 'pathetic, slap in the face and spineless' into a worded statement.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, WoodyFox said:

Yeah, get over it. If it happens it happens, if not then you’ll just have to come to terms with the daunting task that is... taking a seat. 

I'm sure you're right. All the best societies are built on the principle of folks not questioning government decisions.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, promised land said:

Whoever it is in UFS who produced that statement above needs to go back and think long and hard about their use of grammar, writing statements like that will get you absolutely nowhere, at our club or with the powers that be.

You need to be diplomatic and respect the others sides views while arguing yours, not write words like 'pathetic, slap in the face and spineless' into a worded statement.

Even if the ‘decision’ was pathetic and spineless? Sometimes it’s right to call a spade a spade.

Tracey Crouch did not put across any sort of counter-argument and has flown in the face of mounting safety expert advice - her opinion cannot be respected. 

Petition has been signed.

• Like 3

On 12/04/2018 at 14:26, yorkie1999 said:

Still think they'd be better off trying to sell the idea of high seating. It's the words standing and safe that puts doubt in blind to the cause peoples minds and the counter argument is always going to be that it's safer to sit than stand if you disregard the technicalities, which is what decision making people do.  

A lot of people associate the term "safe-standing" with images of Hillsborough and the past even though they're completely different things. A re-brand may actually help, even simply changing the name of the movement, just so when people hear the words, their first thought isn't of the past incidents and starting off poorly before you've even started the pitch. 

On 13/04/2018 at 16:45, C-man said:

Even if the ‘decision’ was pathetic and spineless? Sometimes it’s right to call a spade a spade.

Tracey Crouch did not put across any sort of counter-argument and has flown in the face of mounting safety expert advice - her opinion cannot be respected. 

Petition has been signed.

I fully agree there are times where it's best to call out a decision for what it is. But at the same time there are more tactful ways of putting it, these people don't have to or want to give the decision to allow safe-standing to go ahead. Pi$$ing them off by calling them straight up pathetic (i agree it is) will just make them put their backs up and put their foot down. You have to play these people in certain ways 

6 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I fully agree there are times where it's best to call out a decision for what it is. But at the same time there are more tactful ways of putting it, these people don't have to or want to give the decision to allow safe-standing to go ahead. Pi$$ing them off by calling them straight up pathetic (i agree it is) will just make them put their backs up and put their foot down. You have to play these people in certain ways 

Oh believe me Union FS know this. Our club are beyond a joke at times when dealing on certain issues.

Just now, baker11 said:

Oh believe me Union FS know this. Our club are beyond a joke at times when dealing on certain issues.

I can imagine. I also think a lot more goes on in the background than we know or see, assume a lot of their hands are tied. But can imagine them being fairly useless