Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Safe Standing Roadshow

Safe standing - time to act

9 hours ago, sylofox said:

Make enough noise Corbyn will use it as a vote catcher. Then reneg.

Getting it in Labour's 2022 manifesto is the only way I can see it happening in the near future

Edited by Sammy

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Surprised and disappointed by the number of signatures on that petition, it's been up for a while now and may not get to 100k for ages if at all.

Maybe there's just not as many people people in favour of it as we think.

There are, they just can't be arsed to sign because this is England.

More than 100,000 people stand at games in this country every week.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Getting it in Labour's 2022 manifesto is the only way I can see it happening in the near future

Would you accept a traitorous gutless wimp running the country for safe standing.

No I'm not anti labour just the twat that runs the party.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sylofox said:

Would you accept a traitorous gutless wimp running the country for safe standing.

No I'm not anti labour just the twat that runs the party.

Not saying Labour would have to win. Having something like safe-standing in one party's manifesto would make it a fairly easy bill to pass should the other party win to show a willingness to cooperate etc provided there was enough public support for the idea shown during the election

17 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Not saying Labour would have to win. Having something like safe-standing in one party's manifesto would make it a fairly easy bill to pass should the other party win to show a willingness to cooperate etc provided there was enough public support for the idea shown during the election

I'd be surprised if 1% of the population cares. I doubt if much more than 10% of fans care.

4 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Surprised and disappointed by the number of signatures on that petition, it's been up for a while now and may not get to 100k for ages if at all.

Maybe there's just not as many people people in favour of it as we think.

There's still about 7 weeks to go and 70% is almost hit. There's a good rate. When I signed it last week there was about 18,000 signatures.

The only two fears I have are... (note this upcoming worry is not for safe standing itself)

1) Away ends will be the last to have at least a section converted to safe standing.

2) We will be the last football club to convert to safe standing.

Put it this way, if we don't have provisional plans in place when any redevelopment drawings and details are released, they're just not going to do it are they?

I cannot believe both the government are blithely ignoring the public, and the Premier League are taking their survey, which seems to have no semblance of laying out the type of people they questioned (standers/sitters) is frankly infuriating

19 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

The only two fears I have are... (note this upcoming worry is not for safe standing itself)

1) Away ends will be the last to have at least a section converted to safe standing.

2) We will be the last football club to convert to safe standing.

Put it this way, if we don't have provisional plans in place when any redevelopment drawings and details are released, they're just not going to do it are they?

I cannot believe both the government are blithely ignoring the public, and the Premier League are taking their survey, which seems to have no semblance of laying out the type of people they questioned (standers/sitters) is frankly infuriating

The Government are the main blame here for being ignorant but you can also blame clubs (ours included) who are not really engaging with fans and doing much about it.

Well done to WBA, Derby and those likes. If every club would engage with their supporters and make their voice heard, maybe the PL and Government would start to listen at least.

On 10 April 2018 at 10:41, yorkie1999 said:

Needs a fans boycott, nationwide and at every football ground on the same day. The government would soon have a re-think.

I think that a wider push is needed to educate the people who don't have a real interest in standing, those who are probably ignorant of what safe standing is and are unaware of the desire for it from a certain section of fans. They should also be made aware that it isn't a threat to them or how they wish to view football as I can't understand why people would be opposed to the idea, if you want to sit then that's fine but respect that some people want to stand and support them in their desire. 

Once this his has been done then something like a nationwide stand up on twenty minutes could be done, with fans from all clubs standing up for a minute to support those that wish to stand at football.

On 10 April 2018 at 15:20, acb said:

Lets be about right, safe standing is crap. Back in the day standing was fun, when there were the surges and the bounce akin to the mosh pits at concerts now. Safe standing wont achieve this so in my opinion a waste of time and money. 

While I agree that safe standing will be nothing like the fun we had on the old terraces, the old terraces unfortunately are not coming back. Safe standing is the next best option. 

7 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I think that a wider push is needed to educate the people who don't have a real interest in standing, those who are probably ignorant of what safe standing is and are unaware of the desire for it from a certain section of fans. They should also be made aware that it isn't a threat to them or how they wish to view football as I can't understand why people would be opposed to the idea, if you want to sit then that's fine but respect that some people want to stand and support them in their desire. 

Once this his has been done then something like a nationwide stand up on twenty minutes could be done, with fans from all clubs standing up for a minute to support those that wish to stand at football.

While I agree that safe standing will be nothing like the fun we had on the old terraces, the old terraces unfortunately are not coming back. Safe standing is the next best option. 

This is exactly what Union FS have been lobbying the club for months for. An open forum for all the fanbase where safe standing can be discussed.

The group has the 'safestanding roadshow' ready to bring in their rail seat example plus representatives from the Football Supporters Federation who are willing to attend also. But sadly the club point blank refuse to facilitate any meeting with supporters on this issue.

5 hours ago, baker11 said:

This is exactly what Union FS have been lobbying the club for months for. An open forum for all the fanbase where safe standing can be discussed.

The group has the 'safestanding roadshow' ready to bring in their rail seat example plus representatives from the Football Supporters Federation who are willing to attend also. But sadly the club point blank refuse to facilitate any meeting with supporters on this issue.

I think the problem is that the only those that actively want to see safe standing implemented are turning up to these events, or taking part in the open forum. It's a case of preaching to the converted which is why you still get people likening it to the old terracing or are poorly informed and make arguments that have been debunked time and time again. Even after the last few years of lobbying and making info available, still now we're seeing these uninformed opinions, even on here, in the last few days. Those that aren't interested aren't bothering to educate themselves (why would they?) it's these people that you've somehow got to reach to give a bigger groundswell of support, things are slowly starting to move but it needs a real push from somewhere. 

It it is a shame the club are so unresponsive, I'm sure it wouldn't do them any harm to come along and learn, see what it entails for themselves. They still don't have to make a big statement for or against but at least they'd have a better understanding of the concept and the wishes of the clubs supporters.

• Like 1